Honda Insight Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

2001 Blue + Battery

5K views 16 replies 6 participants last post by  djackson 
#1 · (Edited)
I'm trying to decide what to do with my 2001 blue Insight and the extra battery. If I should sell them together or not. The car has around 119k** miles on it. A few years ago I needed a car and my husband and I were traveling to Memphis, TN when he suddenly whipped the car around and drove back to a small independent used car dealer's lot. There sat this car. It was the owner's personal vehicle. My husband asked him how much and the dealer said it wasn't for sale because it was his own car. My husband said, "Well, you sell cars don't you?" and so they talked and eventually worked out an agreement. (more information below photos).

Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum - djackson's Album: Blue 2001 Insight - Picture

It turns out that the dealer has purchased this as a salvage vehicle and rebuilt it, replacing the battery. He also had an additional battery that he acquired for when it came time to replace that one. He really didn't intend to sell it. Most people in that area of Arkansas probably had no idea what an Insight was. (This was before the Gen 2 came out.)

I have been driving this car for about four years now and have loved it. My husband died from an ATV accident recently, and I've been trying to decide what do do with quite a number of possessions.

The car is great. Like a lot of these, the floor mats are well worn. There is one spot on the driver's side seat that has wear. We replaced the high mileage tires with some that grip the road a little better since I drive in a hilly, curvy area.

I am going to be moving in a few weeks and will be thinking about
- selling just the battery
- selling the car with the battery
- selling the car and the battery separately

**(I had originally posted 177k miles, which was incorrect. I have sold 2 other vehicles and that was the mileage on a truck.)

See less See more
#2 ·
Sorry for your loss. Well, you have come to the right place. I am personally looking for a blue one with a manual transmission. The vehicle has more miles on it than I would like but if the price is right, I am very interested. My suggestion is to ignore the kbb value and look at what others are asking in the market right now. If it does have a manual transmission please send me a private message via this forum.

#13 ·
Excellent, looking forward to helping walk you through Insight ownership.

Also, it's a good thing that you said "55MPG here I come!" and not "80MPG here I come!". Means you have realistic expectations. ;)

#14 ·
Having realistic expectations is what lead me to the Insight in the first place. After watching "Who Killed the Electric Car" I endeavored to convert my RAV4 to 100% electric. The problem came when I realized that it would take 15k worth of batteries to go 80 miles! Then what about the times I needed to go further? Sure, I could carry a generator but the energy conversion with off the shelf parts is awful. I still might do something where I put 72 volts of lead acid and go 10 miles or something. Just for around town. Then use my Insight for daily driving and other times when I have to travel a long distance. Overall, if your goal is to travel further with less money and 2 seats are not a big deal, the only way to do that is to get an Insight for 6 or 7k. The Insight makes my '97 RAV4 that gets 28mpg look like a gas guzzler!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.