Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am the original owner of this car. I love this car, but a number of things have gone bad, and I just can't afford to fix it anymore. Also when I bought it, I didn't have as large a family as I do now, so time to find something with more seats.

First the bad:
- The IMA battery light is on. It has two bars of charge left.
- The oil pan gasket is leaking.
- One outer axle seal is leaking transmission fluid.
- The CHARGE and ASSIST bars on the dash seem to have overflown fluid and so only can be read when the are at the higher ends.
- The car was run in New England with the winters and salt that tends to do bad things to the underside of a car.
- The car hydroplaned once and bumped into a jersey barrier. Due to this, the front bumper is cracked, and a bit bent.

And the good:
- The car had a new catalytic converter installed a month ago, and a new transmission installed within the last year.
- Slave cylinder and CV bushing along with the right side front axle were replaced in the three months.
- The IMA battery was replaced at 140K, so it has been going for 80,000 miles. The IMA light came on only last month and it most likely only needs to be balanced. I've unplugged it so the car is running only on gas right now.
- It has a six CD changer installed (not from Honda.)
- It has two key fobs with a security system, added from Honda after the original sale.
- This version has AC. I didn't use it much since I was going for better mileage.
- Dealer maintenance and oil changes on schedule since the car was purchased. Clear title.
- No one has ever smoked in the car.

Two of the wheels have the original aluminum rims, but a bad construction site caused the other two to be bent beyond repair. I replaced them with the steel rims. I've had a MPG of 56.1 for the life of the car, and it was inspected in September. Currently with the lower oil pressure and the IMA battery disconnected, it is still chugging along at about 42 MPG.

So due to the lack of oil pressure, the check engine light is on. The IMA light is on and still shows two bars of charge. If someone really wanted to get this up and running right, they could, but it is probably best to use as parts. Given that the catalytic converter, transmission, and front right axle are relatively new, I'm asking for $2500.

I just added pictures showing the bumper damage and the info lights on the dash. I just noticed a paint chip on the drivers side door.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
Hi Shane,

Can you please edit your information and add your location, you can just left click on your name to get to your public profile.

So you mentioned that it is a new transmission, as in brand new or an used or rebuilt? Also if it was new then can you take it back to who installed it to get the axle seal fixed?

You mentioned no oil pressure causing the CEL light to be on? So is the low oil pressure warning indicator on also? Do you actually have engine oil pressure?

Are you still driving the car weekly, monthly, not at all? And if it has low oil pressure is it even able to drive without blowing up the engine?

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
That's not a parts car, it's a modern classic good enough for a daily driver or fixed up for only ~$2700 if you can do the work yourself.

And most of that in the IMA battery. The car could have the BCM disconnected and just fix those other problems for a few hundred bucks.

Sam

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Hi Gilbert. I updated my profile as requested. I'm in central Massachusetts.

The transmission was used, and had about 45000 miles on it. I think the seal that is bad is on the opposite side, but I'm no expert.

There is no oil light on, but the shop I used did an oil pressure test and said it was at about 60% of what it should be. Then I learned about the leaky oil pan gasket, so I assumed that was the root of the problem.

The dealership recommended I move on. They said if I wanted to get it through the winter, it should be fine, so long as I keep checking my fluid levels regularly. I still drive it daily, usually around 25 miles.

I want a larger car anyway for family reasons. I have this Insight, and a 2011 Insight as well. I've read through these forums before, but never really posted. Please let me know if you have any other questions.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Samwichse, I'd love to fix it up for $200, but I don't think I have the tools or skill to do it. If someone else does, I hope they consider fixing it up for themselves. It is an awesome commuter car. The first 3 or 4 years I was getting 70MPG with it.

I have already disconnected the BCM and have the battery switch off to avoid damage to the IMA battery.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I haven't seen any corrosion, but I'm sure there is some on the bottom of the car. The dealership refuses to do alignment, because the bolts are frozen, and they don't want to break anything. The car doesn't pull to either side however, so it's not been an issue for me. The same goes for the emergency brake cable. The brake itself is a bit loose, and again the dealership said they couldn't adjust it. It still holds when on, but sometimes on a cold morning, I've had to push down on it to get the break light to come off.

I'll get some pictures up later today when it gets light out.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Possibly trading in this weekend.

I have an appointment with a local dealer to look at the car as a trade in. I wanted to offer it to people on the forum first and it will have been up for about a week by Saturday.

I haven't had much interest yet, so if people are balking at the price, it is negotiable. I want it to go to someone who can really use it, but I can't sit on it for too long with winter coming.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Last chance. Price reduced to $1500

I have another appointment with a dealer who I will be most likely buying from.

If anyone wants to set up a deal for the car for $1500, PM me tonight. If I don't hear from anyone, I'll probably just take the trade in value that they offer.

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
!

Man I wish I didn't live in an apartment complex... I'd LOVE to buy this as a project car.

Sam

·
7,143 Posts
Wish it wasn't an east coast car, I'd be all over it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts