Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, went to open the door on my Insight and the handle broke off in my hand....that was unexpected!
Hoping to find a replacement as the dealer said no way, not available.
Red would match but black would look good too but I need something to open my door with.
Message me if you have one, thanks!

·
Registered
610 Posts
Hey guys, went to open the door on my Insight and the handle broke off in my hand....that was unexpected!
Red would match but black would look good too but I need something to open my door with.
Try car-part.com.

Or, consider this a great opportunity to simply bondo the panel flush, and replace the door handle with an RC servo, triggered by an Arduino connected to a Bluetooth module that is waiting for you to tap a button on a paired phone. Pop, door opens.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I may have one. I can check today. I'm assuming it's the drivers side you need?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Try car-part.com.

Or, consider this a great opportunity to simply bondo the panel flush, and replace the door handle with an RC servo, triggered by an Arduino connected to a Bluetooth module that is waiting for you to tap a button on a paired phone. Pop, door opens.
Thanks but I would rather keep it simple and original. I will check car part.com

·
Registered
190 Posts
I do have the handle. It's black however. I bought the car for the transmission a year and a half ago and have some of the parts left over. I can take it off and take a picture of it if you'd like.

·
Registered
610 Posts
I do have the handle. It's black however. I bought the car for the transmission a year and a half ago and have some of the parts left over. I can take it off and take a picture of it if you'd like.
You can get the red fairly close by painting it with Rustoleum Sunrise Red in a spray can. You might want to start with one of the similar Rustoleum colors that are for spraying on plastic, as a "primer" coat for the Sunrise Red to adhere to.

The red will be a little more orange than the paint on the side of the car. Sunrise Red works well on a hood or roof which has faded slightly due to years of sun exposure.

Sunrise Red also comes in cans. You might be able to get a match if you mix in small amounts of black and make some test panels. You probably would have to thin it to spray it.

Be *certain* to do the painting with relative humidity less than 50% and paint the second coat within 5-10 minutes or after a good day+ of drying, otherwise the paint will fail and you'll have cracks and crinkles which really require stripping the paint and starting over to do it right. You may be able to build a small drying booth with some plastic sheet and a dehumidifier. The less humid the better. (Don't ask how I know.)

·
Registered
487 Posts
The Rally Red used on the newer Civic SI is a very close match to the Insight's red. I've used it to touch up some of the paint imperfections on my red G1.

·
Premium Member
9,752 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts