Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been driving my '01 G1 5MT for 7 years, now at 230k miles. It was getting a little down at the heels however I decided to fix things including new brake and fuel lines, AC compressor, shifter cables, e-brake cables, rear brake backing plates & cylinders, front brake pads, valve cover gasket, both front ball joint/control arm assemblies, engine temp sensor, upper catalytic converter, brake pads, and replaced my worn out IMA battery with a newer battery that is performing well. Wow. I don't know if the car has ever performed better. No codes, perfect battery performance and I'm getting better mileage than I ever did, now averaging 67 + mpg. I was on the fence about spending $ thinking maybe the car was just too far gone however I am really pleased with the result and I encourage anyone sitting on the fence as to whether to fix up their G1's to go for it. FYI I also changed my regular oil from Mobil 1 synthetic to Royal Purple - I wonder if the Royal Purple may have contributed to the mpg increase?

·
Registered
216 Posts
I've owned my Insight for about five years now. I bought it with 138k and now it's got 176k and, as of January 2020, I drive about 500+ a week. I've recently noticed a MPG increase as well. I'm not really sure why. I'm averaging about 65-66 MPG. I did just adjust the valves. I think another aspect of it is learning how to drive these cars. There is a learning curve. When my wife drives the Insight the MPG is nowhere near as good. Maybe that's a factor with your's as well.

·
Registered
374 Posts
It very well could be that the cat was somewhat restricted or you may have had a dragging caliper.
These cars are in most likelihood never going to be remade so not wanting to invest in a tool that pays dividends is kind of a capitalist mentality.
New cars always are pushed as being improved, xyz reason, we have been brainwashed. I’ll keep mine forever even if I have to replace engine or kswap. Whatever. The aluminum body is lightweight and aero. Perfect car for mpg.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
533 Posts
When my wife drives the car gets better mileage and returns home with an only-dreamed of SOC. I really need to ride with her and figure out what she does. Every Single Time!!! Drives me crazy. I got my first one in 2010 and have racked up lots of (apparently inefficient) Gen 1 Insight miles.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts