Honda Insight Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
^ Yes, stuck rear brakes (OP not able to roll it in neutral). Start with those then decide on next steps.

Quick take on selling it: At only 60k miles and you not having mechanical abilities to fix stuff, you'd probably be best off spending nothing on it, selling it as-is. If the body and interior are clean (no dents, no major paint damage, no major wear) you could easily get $3000 I'd think, maybe even $3500. Someone with mechanical abilities and some time could then easily fix stuff up and either keep it or sell it for $5000+. But if you have to pay to get stuff fixed - there's just nothing left. You'd have a working car, hopefully, but a really empty bank account.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I think stuck brakes are a likely cause. Jack up each corner (starting with the rear) and make sure you can turn the wheels.

Sam
If they do not rotate, would there bean easy fix while haveit jacked up?

·
Administrator
11,739 Posts
You will need safe proper support for the vehicle not just a jack.

If the rear wheels are stuck, remove them one at a time and whack the brake drums with a big wooden mallet whilst trying to rotate them.

·
Super Moderator
8,202 Posts
Right! If you do jack up a corner and have parking brake off, as you must to do the test, then the car can easily roll off the jack. Try to find a jackstand or a large tire/wheel to slip up under the car. It helps stabilise the car to find two good chocks for a wheel still on the ground, like a front while checking the backs. Kick the chocks tight under the tire.
Most important, don't get any part of your body UNDER the car while doing these tests:eek:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Sorry, to be away for a few days, as life got extra busy.
I don’t see my last response, I must have
been in a hurry thus didn’t hit post or something. Anyway...

Yes, the transmission had no problems before.

Tested the tires this am, like Rainsux & retepsnikrep advised.
Both back tires rotated.
Front tire did Not move. Even tested it while in neutral and
would Not budge.

Hoping you all can give me some more information on how to
proceed.

Thanks and looking forward to hearing from you.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #26

If the rear wheels are stuck, remove them one at a time and whack the brake drums with a big wooden mallet whilst trying to rotate them.
Would you suggest this same procedure for the front?
As both back tires were good to go.
Then went to the front and would not move.
Even tested it by putting car in neutral and still would not move.
Actually, did both back then only front driver side.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Hello.

Just checked our front passenger side tire and when in
neutral the tire did spin.

So appears it’s only the driver side tire that doesn’t spin.

Intended to take off the tire and
check the rotor and caliper per my searching and reading,
but could not get the lug nuts to loosen, so have not gotten
the tire off yet.

Anyone have any thoughts on what trouble might be from
the additional information?
Anything additional I could check first before taking tire off?

Is there anything useful to help loosen the lug nuts? Couldn’t
even get a couple to budge.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,666 Posts
Long breaker bar or pipe as an extension on the socket wrench or lug nut wrench.for the lug nuts.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
okay, this is something I can check... #2 below... plan on doing this tonight.

in the pictures willie posted should I check any others? For instance, KLR3CYL
had mention the parking brake locked up. Could this problem only pick one tire?
Is this in the photos?

was anyone thinking it could be the rotors/etc? My searches were leading that way, but if you
all don’t agree Then I’ll just

I was doing search for how tell difference between fly wheel splines and CVT
shift cables problems, but my search terms must not be very good because not getting
helpful returns.

Do appreciate all you being so helpful, but even more than that all your responses
have been so nice.
As I can tell, you all very technically advance.
I have watched some videos and feeling better about attempting to do
more work going forward.

Got to run for now, will be back later. Thanks.

^ +1. Sort out the transmission problem before spending a nickel on anything else.

1. Top up the fluid.
2. Look under the air cleaner to see top of the transmission and the shifting cable. Have someone operate the shift lever to see if you see the cable and the little crank moving.
3. Roll the car in neutral, as indicated above.
4. Look for signs that mice may have chewed wiring.
5. Check the grounds under hood. Willie will post the picture.
6. Maybe other cheap checks.

Given these steps, then suspect the stripped flywheel as retepsnikrep suggested. That would be a show stopper for the car since I don't think you are mechanic enough to replace the transmission.

I personally believe that if you have to hire ANY mechanic for this old, obscure car, then you are in over your head. For these old cars, the dealers are exorbitantly expensive and most others won't know enough about the car to give good advice and/or service. JMHO.

·
Super Moderator
5,107 Posts
Don't do anything until you get that front wheel to turn. Most of the other suggestions don't have anything to do with anything right now. Getting it to roll will tell you if you need to do anything else.

Sam

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Would putting in that new battery be any cause for something to like
lock up as it’s on that side?

·
Super Moderator
5,107 Posts
No. It's just humidity and rust. Stuff like that is not uncommon when a car sits. Not always, but sometimes.

Sam

·
Registered
533 Posts
It doesn't have anything to do with the battery, but I don't remember how CVTs work. If one side is raised and it is in neutral I would expect the raised wheel to rotate. It wouldn't if it was in Park. But I remember my Civic Hybrid which had a CVT did not like to roll backward in neutral with the engine running. It would roll a few feet and jerk like I had put it in a forward gear only to release and roll back a few more feet and repeat. I think it would roll fine if the engine wasn't running. I wish I had a Honda with a CVT and could double check. I wish I was nearby and could check it out because I can't believe you have a serious problem.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Hey guys, To get that tire off would a impact wrench be the one to do? Found it
listed on the loan program. Would there be any other tool here that would be helpful
with where the situation stands?
my husband tried to get the tire off, but he’s weak right now, so wasn’t able
to budge the ones really on there. He took your tip making an extension, but still
wasnt able to loosen all of them.

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,666 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
yup, work on stuck wheel until the car rolls easily in neutral, then try reverse and drive. The little hop you describe sound like the CVT is attempting to turn the drive wheels, but finding them locked up for some reason. I think when all the wheels are spinning free, the car will move forward and back just fine. Sometime hitting the frozen wheel and tire numberous time will rubber head mallet will get things to turn loose. Get healthy and stay healthy if you can.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts