Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all!!!

I really need the help of this forum this forums is the reason i bought my insight (2001 manual 106k) but unfortunately the insight i bought has this weird "whirling" noise while accelerating, it seems to charge fine, and accelerate fine but under any manner of acceleration in any gear it has this weird noise...and it is very concerning as it seems to be getting louder. This insight was a single owner clean car fax all maintenance was done at the local Honda dealer up until i bought it. the sound is coming from the driver side behind the firewall, there is no whining noises there is no weird noises at idle, there is no strange noises while revving in in gear with clutch in or in neutral, the sound does no occur when in reverse the noise only happens while starting and going through the rpm range in any gears it is super loudunder 3k rpms.

here is a link to somone else that had a sound very similar.

i cant post a link but if you youtube "insight gearbox noise" its the first video that shows up that is 1:03 long.

Thank you for any help! I really need it this is my first insight and i LOVE the car but the sound is very concerning as it sounds like a RC car when its taking off and im hoping the electric motor isnt failing...it did have a P1568 and P1576 when i got it but i cleared the codes and have driven over 300mi and they have not come back.:???:

·
Registered
550 Posts
Input Shaft Bearing (ISB). Very common problem with Hondas from 90s and up. Here is a good video on the replacement on a Civic. Ours is pretty much the same:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Kennysmith are you 100% sure because all symptoms I’ve seen on YouTube and read about sound nothing like what my car does the only one that does is the video on YouTube with the insight “gearbox noise”

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hello,

My 2000 manual insight has the same exact sound as the car in the video. I was told by a dealership that it was 'transmission case bearings', though their poor work on other things makes me hesitate to call that diagnosis certain. Like the insight in the video, the sound is most prominent accelerating from 1st-3rd, which I've read is suggestive of the input shaft bearing. How confident are people about that one?

I want to fix this myself, but I'd really appreciate some feedback first:

- Should I replace the bearing or the whole transmission? Bearing replacement seems like it could be a whole order of magnitude greater time/skill.
- It shifts well, but if I open it up, am I likely to want to swap out tons more parts while I'm there?

I'll have the help of my brother who is quite good with cars, but he lives a good distance away and I'll have to get back for work and stuff, so I'll only have a week. I know I'll have enough time to swap the transmission, but I'd hate to have to bus back because we opened it up and complicated everything. At the same time, I'd love to save the $900 cost difference between the bearing and a replacement transmission.

Thanks for any feedback.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Kennysmith are you 100% sure because all symptoms I’ve seen on YouTube and read about sound nothing like what my car does the only one that does is the video on YouTube with the insight “gearbox noise”
I don't know what you have seen on YouTube, but the video at the beginning of this thread sounded exactly like an ISB to me. In neutral with the clutch out it will also make noise because it will be spinning the ISB. Push the clutch in and the ISB will quit spinning and quiet down.

BTW, I am no expert, but my car just started sounding just like that. I'm not driving it again until I can do the repair, which looks pretty easy.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi guys from my tons and TONS of research the last 2 days and searching other car forums and finding videos I am 99.9% sure at this point it is the input shaft bearing. I can’t find even “Honda guys” to want to work on it on the side even tho the transmission is identical in removal and fixing as similar year civics....called Honda they want a “complete overhaul” which would probably be more than the car is worth....so I am determined to find a person from the Honda FB groups that’s a mechanic that will do it or at least a transmission shop. From what other people have been quoted for civics and related cars for the issue from tranny shops it’s in between 800-1200 to fix.

On the “positive” note there is a lot of pages talking about people driving there car for 10’a of thousands of miles with no negative affect just “annoying to drive” because the sound. I like the car too much and just bought it so I WILL FIND AN ANSWER CHEAPER THAN $1200!

The sound this car makes when clutch pedal is not pushed and than pushed is the same noise my 1985 Chevy sprint makes and that car drove for over 3 years with that sound, that being said the sprint does not making the weird “RC” car sound when accelerating through gears like the Insight is doing. I have also read changing to a better fluid/flushing and checking the fluid level can “quite” the noise.

·
Super Moderator
5,246 Posts
Please add your location.

Call Scott (KLR3CYL) at Jue Motors in Covina CA. 909-605-3810. He has rebuilt many Insight transmissions, and does a superb job.

Sam

·
Super Moderator
5,246 Posts
There are companies with big trucks that go back and forth all the time! :)

When you call Scott ask him about shipping. People do it all the time.

User CP->edit your details.

Sam

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
11,182 Posts
01Insighter; Check your PM for info.

Willie

1 - 12 of 12 Posts