Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have loved my 2001 Insight, but it has gotten beyond me to be able to take care of it. I'm hoping to sell it to an Insight enthusiast, and possibly to someone who needs a back up for parts. I'm not sure how much longer this poor baby is actually going to run. I do not have a backup form of transportation, and am hoping to sell this one fairly quickly to be able to get a different car.

- Insight has 170,000. I bought it in 2004 from a friend who bought it new, so it's had two owners.

- It is running now, but it has a lot of problems that have started to add up. The IMA light came on last year, but it's been running fine and the force reset usually lasts about 500 to 1,000 miles. I also had a member from this forum install a Calpod Mod, which works great.

- Used transmission installed in 2010 (which had 50,000)miles.

- New exhaust installed in 2008 including both O2 sensors, catalytic converter, and pipes.

- threads on one of the wind shield wiper arms are stripped, but I haven't been able to find just the part to replace. This causes the arms to jump off where they attached under the hood sometimes while in use.

- lots of dents and scratches, but doesn't look too bad

- Engine seems to be strong

I haven't decided on an asking price yet. I just wanted to post on here since this has been such a great, helpful, and devoted to Insights group of folks, and see if there is any interest.

The car is located in Portland, ME, but spent most of it's life with me in Nashville, so it has no salt or rust damage that I've noticed.

Thanks!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Pictures

There is something strange happening with the car as of yesterday. I'm not sure what it is, and someone is taking a look tomorrow. My fear is that it is a belt problem of some sort. I have no desire to try to dupe anyone, and think the car is going to best go to someone who is an Insight lover and has some experience working on them, or who needs a backup with some newish replacement parts on it.

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,558 Posts
See post #4.....Two above yours.

Willie

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm in Old Orchard Beach and I'm very interested in having a look at your car. I'm not yet an insight owner but I have alot of mechanical experience with my 95 accord now at 290K and I'm searching for an environmentally friendly fixer-upper to replace my vegetable oil work truck - your car seems like it might be a good fit. My cell phone is 732-771-5494. I'm traveling to Bangor on Friday but I would love to have a chance to check out the car tonight or tomorrow, hopefully not in the rain so maybe tomorrow? Please drop me a line and let me know. Thanks, Jason!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update

So I had a meeting with a mechanic this morning, and the new issue is a leaking head gasket. It's still drivable, and the mechanic declared safe, and he said he's seen Honda's with leaking head gaskets go for another 100,000 miles. It's running fine, but loosing a lot of oil, and he said that was the main problem with the leak is that the oil would have to be checked frequently to make sure it doesn't get low enough to cause other problems.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Dashlights

None of those dash lights in the picture are on once the car is actually turned on. When I took that pic, I just had the key in the ignition, without actually turning the engine on.

·
Premium Member
1,001 Posts
by chance do you have the original transmission? I'd be interested in one for a rebuild, so I can minimize the downtime on having mine repaired.

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,558 Posts
How much oil loss? You probably have "weepage" rather than "leakage".

How much added after how many miles?

Willie

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I've been straight out busy the last couple of weeks, but I am still interested in selling the car. It's running, and I've been using it to get to work everyday. I'd say I put a quart of oil in it every week and a half.

I do also have a set of tires with full tread to put on the car.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts