Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else experiance any trouble with the AutoDown feature for the driver's window? When I press it, I can feel the two distinct switches for down and autodown, but it doesn't do the autodown.

I just got this 2001 used and they'll be replacing the LCD for the ASST guage [Has a hairline crack so there's a glowing line in it :)] at no cost so I'll have them look at it. I was just wondering if anyone else has experianced the same thing so maybe I could give the guys some tips on what to look for (From speaking with them, they're not too familiar with the Insight)

·
Registered
180 Posts
I remember seeing a TSB on that once, but can't find it now. My '02 does the same thing, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. It usually always works when the window is already down a few inches, but then again that might just be coincidental.

·
Registered
113 Posts
happens to me too

not a big deal to me. but sometime's it works, sometime's it doesn't. seems as if temperature has something to do with it though. also "double-clicking" the auto sometimes works

that and slow windows :lol:

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
If your cars are still under warranty just take em to the dealer and tell them whats wrong and that there is a tech service buliten on it. I had this done in the 2000 Insight I had for a little while, they replaced the window regulator and it worked like new again.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Same exact thing going on with my 2000 5 speed MT too. Cold temperatures seem to make this feature not function. It works when it wants to, but usually only after the window is already half down. :( I took it to the Automaster in Shelburne, VT but they said all they did for me was lube it and they say it works, (*sarcasticly* Yeah right!) They didn't replace anything for me...
~Martin

·
Premium Member
891 Posts
This was a known problem in the 2000 Insight as well as the S2000, and there is a known TSB for it. I had the work done in warranty on mine 2 years ago. Part number HON 72250-S3Y-A01, for a left front regulator.

The reason is that auto-down detects when it cannot go down anymore by drag force on the window travel. When the force exceeds some threshold, it thinks it is at the bottom and stops lowering the window. The misaligned regulator puts too much drag on the window too soon and the auto-down stops early.

·
Registered
123 Posts
So this TSB for the recognized problem, is it like a recall? Maybe I can find out if it has been done already or if it has not been addressed yet for this car.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Not a recall, just something they put out when there is a known problem and they tell what the fix is for the mechanics to know how to quickly and easily fix it. You might be able to find out if anything has ever been done to the car at any dealerships. If your windows stops doing it's auto thing before the warranty is up and if your dealership is cool you might be able to call them say look for tech service builten # whatever it is and order me that part and once you have it I'll come in, it really doesn't take long for them to do at all. Arrowhead Honda near me in Phoenix is awsome, just by the vin they ordered a DC/DC and new ecu for the 2000 Insight I had for a while without ever seeing the car. And thats like $1,000 at least worth of parts. I didn't bring up the window regulator till I had the car there for the ecu and dc/dc so it took them overnight to get the regulator, no big deal, they still did the work fast.

·
Registered
242 Posts
auto down

Stickboy,

You'll probably want to check the run channel also. When the regulator isn't adjusted right, that causes the window to bind in the run channel, which damages the run channel, which causes the window to bind even more, which damages the regulator - a somewhat pricey part. :cry:

This seems to be a fairly common problem with Honda/Acura. :roll:

Spraying lube or silicone in the run channel is not the fix. Continued use of the window will damage the regulator.

Someone posted here or at yahoo about an upgraded or improved regulator - does anyone have any info on that or the TSB number?

·
Registered
52 Posts
When I bought my 2000 5sp a few weeks ago, I couldnt figure out how to get the Auto-down working, but once I read the manual, I figured it out. It works most of the time. I find it works with one quick click and then a longer 2nd click (a hold), so its good for me.

Michael

·
Premium Member
891 Posts
I found the TSB number on the web, it is Service Bulletin 01-013 (2/6/2001) "Drivers window auto down function does not work. Symptom-When you use the Auto function to lower the window,the window goes down only 3-4 inches.The window goes down all the way if you push the power window switch lightly and hold it. Probable Cause-Contamination in the window motor causes a loss of ground. Corrective Action-Replace the window regulator assembly. Parts Info-Left window regulator assembly: P/N 72250-S3Y-A01, H/C 6348494 Flat rate time 1 hour."

Also confirmed this info elsewhere, I quote:
"Honda has issued a Technical Service Bulletin(TSB) which includes a replacement window regulator part number. The TSB is SB #01-013, and the part number is 72250-S3Y-A01. You may want to get it replaced (if it fails) before your warranty expires as the motor costs about $135. The TSB provides detailed instructions on how to replace the motor/window regulator."

·
Registered
320 Posts
Mine worked when my 2000 5-speed was new, and it was an annoyance, since I like to park it with the window cracked to stop heat buildup in warmer months. Touch the down switch, let go and the window kept going down.

So, later, it stopped working. There have been times when I wished it worked, like pulling up to a toll booth, etc., but for the most part, I didn't miss it.

Summer tip: Before getting in the car in summer, I walk around the car twice: I open the passenger door, open the trunk, open the driver's door, close the passenger door, close the trunk, get in the car and close the driver's door. The thermal bubble thus burst by the rear deck being half the ceiling, leaves the car full of air at outside temperature instead of the heat buildup inside the car.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I also experienced some trouble with my auto-down for a while last fall. It didn't seem like the connection was being made or something. Holding the toggle down the window went down just fine, but when the click for the one-touch was done nothing happened. I started kinda pushing the button in as I gave it pressure downward, and that seemed to make it work. Since that time the toggle seems to have returned to its original, no-problems operation, so I haven't had it checked out. Just kindof a wierd little gremlin that came and went apparently.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Michael,
That's interesting. The driver's side window switch in my 2000 has a definite mechanical click about halfway down. If I push the switch all the way down past the click - it's auto down. If I press lightly and don't make it click, I control how far it goes. I would guess most of them are set up the same (if not all of them).

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks

Thanks everyone, I'll be going back to the dealer this afternoon and speak with them about it and a few other things I've noticed.

·
Registered
23 Posts
AUTO DOWN

Moderator Note: Edited to remove ALL CAPS.

Mine worked perfectly until I had the run channel replaced due to some strange wear problem. Channel was visibly wickeing [sic]. Since the rplacement I have the intermittant auto down problem you all describe. I will be going back for adjustment per the TSB. Thanks all!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts