Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a 2001 Insight CVT with over 100K miles that I inherited from my father. The engine recently developed a "rod knock" and needs to be rebuilt. The battery has been replaced several times and it needs to be replaced again.

I have been unable to find anybody in my area (Hampton Roads, VA) who is willing to rebuild it. The shops have been unable to find a rebuilt engine supplier.

I am having trouble deciding what to do with the car. I like it but it has been a series of problems. I think that I have several alternatives.

1. Sell the car as is
2. Buy a battery, install it, and rebuild the engine myself
3. Remove the IMA system and install an engine swap

Option number 3 is the one that I need advice on. I believe rebuilding the engine would be much easier and cheaper than swapping engines.

I am leaning toward selling the car. How much is it worth in this condition?

What do you think?

·
Super Moderator
8,902 Posts
I am leaning toward selling the car. How much is it worth in this condition?

What do you think?

I'm thinking I'm reading into this that it is an economic decision in your mind.

If that is the case, I'd just sell it as-is for what I could get. The two major parts needed are going to push the investment in the car way beyond any reasonable assessment of it's value. atikovi might give you a bid. Probably somewhere in $800-1200 range in this condition. You really aren't handing anyone much to work with. Opinions will differ. JMHO.

·
Premium Member
3,650 Posts
Should you go with option 3, battery bypass is a consideration. You could run gas only until enough savings is available to work on / or replace the pack.

Depending on condition, the battery may even be able to be nursed back to usable health with grid charging / discharging. Codes and data would aid in that decision.

There are Insighters in VA, at least one in the Hampton Roads area, others nearby.

My 55 cents.

·
Read Only
2,009 Posts
Are you sure that the engine sound that you are hearing is rod knock? Did something occur that would explain why a rod bearing would go bad after only 100K miles in an engine known for its longevity? Others have thought that their Insight engines had bad rod bearings only to learn that they were hearing normal Insight engine sounds. Especially when cold, these engines tend to knock a bit. Maybe the offset crank explains this sound.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Id verify the rod knock. As aisbell hinted at, it would be rather surprising a rod would have gone bad. That said, a rebuild is cheap for this car, and 95% of the motor can be rebuilt in-car if needed

·
Super Moderator
8,902 Posts
Id verify the rod knock.
That's good advice. These engines don't have lots of rod failures. If you know that the engine ran low on oil, that would dramatically raise the odds of a rod bearing failure.

But the car can also suffer from noisy valves, since they are non-hydraulic and adjustment can sometime be way off.

I still stand by my advice not to spend too much on the car. The cost to get the car back on the road depends considerably on how much of the work you can personally perform. If you must use professional help then you can easily spend more than the car is worth in this environment:(

Good luck.

·
Super Moderator
8,902 Posts
Just as a point of information, there are no worthwhile used batteries in the wild. New batteries run $1500-$1800 plus shipping and installation.

You might be able to stretch some life from the battery if you can solve the engine problem. I'm in Richmond. I have the equipment and experience to give battery rejuvenation a try. I have done this in the past for other Insighters and would help you, if you can drive the car to my home:)

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Rod knock - the motor mounts deteriorate and maybe you are hearing an engine mount banging metal to metal?

Like others indicated, the engine uses manually adjusted valves, if it is more of a valve ticking, then it just needs a valve adjustment, not a big deal.

·
Registered
3,443 Posts
1. Sell the car as is
3. Remove the IMA system and install an engine swap

Option number 3 is the one that I need advice on. I believe rebuilding the engine would be much easier and cheaper than swapping engines.
What about #4, just putting in a good used engine? I've got a 2003 CVT I'm parting with 142,000 miles that you can hear the engine run. Not too far away. Otherwise, what color and how many miles on yours if you want to sell?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If it was a simple economic decision I wouldn't have a problem deciding.

There is some sentimental value in that it was my father's car.

Also, I don't know what I could replace it with.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I am not sure that it is a rod knock. I was told it was an "engine problem" by the mechanic I took it to.

How can I verify that it is not a rod knock without checking the bearing clearance?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My engine has less than 142k miles on it but if yours is running well it might make sense to swap.

My Insight is red and the body is in good condition. It has about 105k miles.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The "rod knock" sound definitely does not sound like valve ticking but it has that ticking sound as well.

Adjusting the valves did not eliminate the noise.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I don't know if the car ran out of oil but the rod knock sound started immediately after an oil change to 5W-20 synthetic.

I immediately drained the oil and put in 10W-30 synthetic but the noise remained.

·
Registered
3,443 Posts

·
Registered
939 Posts
I am not sure that it is a rod knock.
this is why you need to investigate. no need to spend a dime if you dont know whats wrong
I was told it was an "engine problem" by the mechanic I took it to.
I dont recommend you continue seeing this person. Talk about a vague diagnosis

How can I verify that it is not a rod knock without checking the bearing clearance?
You cant. Checking them isnt hard. All you need is a 10, 12, 14, and 8mm spline or 12pnt socket and some plastigauge

My engine has less than 142k miles on it but if yours is running well it might make sense to swap.

Id have to disagree. This would be tossing $$ at a unknown issue hoping for the best

I don't know if the car ran out of oil but the rod knock sound started immediately after an oil change to 5W-20 synthetic.

I immediately drained the oil and put in 10W-30 synthetic but the noise remained.
Figured Id ask. How much oil are you adding?

Case in point, without checking there are way to many things the noise could be. Not tryin to burn ati on a sale, but the noise could be your tranny, a motor mount, loose air box (common BTW) loose eng cover etc and you could be throwing loads of $$$ at stuff for nothing

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
11,372 Posts
Try taking off with the E brake on. Noise louder?

HTH
Willie

1 - 20 of 20 Posts