Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at an ad for a 2001 Honda Insight and am considering a purchase. I am worried about battery costs. What is the usual battery replacement cost for these cars? Are the engine usually reliable, i.e., not prone to throwing rods, etc.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I am looking at an ad for a 2001 Honda Insight and am considering a purchase. I am worried about battery costs. What is the usual battery replacement cost for these cars? Are the engine usually reliable, i.e., not prone to throwing rods, etc.
Talk to Bumble Bee. They have a good reputation on this board. They advertise $1495.

https://bumblebeebatteries.com/products/honda-hybrid-batteries/

The engines are extremely reliable. Some folks are driving with 300K+ miles on theirs. Mine has about 162K miles and uses no real amount of oil and leaks no oil. These are sturdy, well-made cars. They are fun, too.

Please post your location. Put it in your sig. You may have a bunch of helpful owners near you.

·
Super Moderator
7,158 Posts
The upper end is the Bumblebee with a 5 year warranty. That is $2300 plus shipping and core return.

Probably the least expensive is from HybridRevolt at $1300 for a standard capacity, 1 yr warranty.

·
Registered
86 Posts
The engines are extremely reliable. Some folks are driving with 300K+ miles on theirs. Mine has about 162K miles and uses no real amount of oil and leaks no oil. These are sturdy, well-made cars. They are fun, too.

Amen to that! 343k miles and it only burns about 0.25 quarts between oil changes! My V70R burns 0.8 quarts every ~1600 miles and thats “in spec” which is crazy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
780 Posts
I don't have a battery in mine and get around pretty good. With a bypass and a Civic Hybrid transmission you won't miss it a whole lot if you're not shy about exploring the upper end of your rpm range. It's a Honda, it can take it easily over and over.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I had the IMA in my 2001 Insight replaced at BumbleBee last year, driving down to their facility to have them replace it for me (and avoiding sales tax!). BumbleBee replacement battery packs are manufactured using 100% new cells, the cells have a higher amp-hour rating, and the 120 cells in the battery pack are matched! It cost $2,400 (Honda quoted me $2,500 and uses remanufactured cells of lower capacity) including installation. Heading home afterwards, when I got back on the road with the new battery pack installed, it felt like I was driving a race car, compared to the performance with the old battery! Since then I am still completely and totally satisfied with its performance!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had the IMA in my 2001 Insight replaced at BumbleBee last year, driving down to their facility to have them replace it for me (and avoiding sales tax!). BumbleBee replacement battery packs are manufactured using 100% new cells, the cells have a higher amp-hour rating, and the 120 cells in the battery pack are matched! It cost $2,400 (Honda quoted me $2,500 and uses remanufactured cells of lower capacity) including installation. Heading home afterwards, when I got back on the road with the new battery pack installed, it felt like I was driving a race car, compared to the performance with the old battery! Since then I am still completely and totally satisfied with its performance!
I need a new ima battery but spent 2000 on my insight in parts since I got it. My ima light comes on sometimes instantly after reseting it and cycling the battery with the mike charger even said F***it and drained it to 0volts which improved it substantially but is still toast it can completely discharge in less than 1 hr and craps on on the charger at 132 volts with high slope differential. Looking for a used or new battery with reasonably price?

·
Registered
511 Posts
Looking for a used or new battery with reasonably price?
Not sure where you're located, but I have a fully functional one for sale in Michigan:

I can knock a little off the price if we bypass ebay and work directly through paypal to avoid Ebay's selling fees.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I'd find a car with a working battery.. since I bought mine about 8 months ago, I've been steadily perusing the available Insights online and I see MANY with Bumblebee batteries which no longer work. Most sellers say they lasted a few years and then went kaput again.. Unlike the majority of the members here, I'm not an MIT educated electrical engineer looking to discuss the minutia of battery tech ad nauseam. I spent $1500 on my 2000 Insight and the battery works great. Spending $2-3k on a new battery for a $2k car that might last a few years does not compute to my inferior brain power.

IMO if you find a car with a decent working battery and plan to drive that car daily in the somewhat proper fashion, you should be able to keep that battery working. I haven't invested in the $500 grid charger as again I don't feel like investing unnecessary funds in a cheap car. If/when my IMA light comes on, perhaps my tune will change.

Of course, your mileage may vary. Good luck.

·
Registered
60 Posts
very reliable, if cared for. Mine was at 250k, didn't use any oil. it took an uninsured motorist to take it out. (still runs fine though)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts