Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2001 insight with 66200 miles on it, drove it home (450 miles) and everything seemed to be fine. I was on another 100 mile trip the next day, I had noticed that between 1800 and 2200 RPMs the car would studder a bit. On my way home the CEL came on I checked the codes and it registered cylinder 1, 2 and 3 all misfiring. I just ordered new plugs today to see if that would fix the problem but then I also read that it could be the O2 sensor. What are the chances of that being the case? if none of these fix it what could it be?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Likely EGR

My 2001 did the same thing shortly after I purchased it. After cleaning the EGR valve (lots of threads on that procedure, I like the one where you cycle the valve with the 12V battery) problem cleared up, hasn't been back since.

·
Registered
539 Posts
I do believe that along with the plugs, and LAF (primary o2 sensor), the EGR valve may also be at fault for the misfiring. You may not want to drive the car like that too much or the catalytic converters may be damaged as a result. If you search "misfire in the IC engine you will find a thread or two on potential causes.

·
Premium Member
1,069 Posts
If it is the EGR, then that is a relatively easy fix. Just remove one electrical connector and two 10mm nuts, and you have the EGR valve in your hand. Follow the recommended soak procedure of WD-40 for 24 hours and you are presented with a freshly cleaned EGR valve. There are numerous links on this.

However the EGR air passages from the EGR mounting to the intake plenum is slightly harder and good for a Saturday morning. There are five studs that hold the intake to the engine, and the lower two are the hardest part of the project. Be very careful to remove the nuts from the studs, as to keep them from dropping into the dark bowels of the engine.

Once the manifold is free there are some stamped metal gaskets and the 'air bypass plate' that has three small passages, with the smallest part about 1/4 inch in diameter. Check Mike Dabrowski's website for pictures of this. The plate can be cleaned as well, once in hand. Mine were very clean with just a dusting of carbon. Turns out that the EGR valve was sticking and needed the most cleaning. But like Budomove suggested, you have to be sure, so take apart the entire system for a complete check/cleaning.

My stumble disappeared after doing the above.

Hope this helps, Jim.

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
If it happens during the sweet spot when you are giving almost no gas and not quite accelerating and not quite decelerating then it is most likely the EGR (clean it or replace it if the cleaning doesn't work). If it is happening under acceleration or deceleration, then it is another problem. The EGR shudder seems to happen as you transition from acceleration to deceleration.

What code did you get?

I just bought a 2001 insight with 66200 miles on it, drove it home (450 miles) and everything seemed to be fine. I was on another 100 mile trip the next day, I had noticed that between 1800 and 2200 RPMs the car would studder a bit. On my way home the CEL came on I checked the codes and it registered cylinder 1, 2 and 3 all misfiring. I just ordered new plugs today to see if that would fix the problem but then I also read that it could be the O2 sensor. What are the chances of that being the case? if none of these fix it what could it be?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Progress?

Last night I took the EGR Valve off and it was pretty black. The spacer plate in between was also clogged up pretty good. I've been letting the EGR valve soak over night and will put it all back together tonight. I have to get a hold of my local honda dealer to see if they carry the new gasket (i'm thinking i'll probably get the spacer plate too) if not I'll have to wait and order it off of the Hondapartsnow websit. Hopefully this all fixes the problem. Next step LAF O2 Sensor.

·
Registered
539 Posts
The metal gasket that goes between the head and the spacer plate, and the EGR gasket are the only two things that may need replacing, but really you don't have to replace the metal gasket, just clean it. The EGR gasket can also be reused assuming it was not torn too bad, and will not create an exhaust leak. The spacer plate should be cleaned really well, and will take about a whole can of brake cleaner. Shouldn't take more than about 20 minutes even for a really badly clogged one.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I called my local honda dealer and they had the gasket in stock so i'm gonna go pick it up after I get off work then clean the spacer really good and put it all back together. I hope this fixes it. If not I checked the prices on the LAF O2 sensor and the dealer wants $462!?!? WOW I checked hondapartsnow but couldn't find it on there. anyone got a link? Or know of somewhere else to find one for cheaper if I do end up needing one? Or is there a way to "fix" the one I have?

Oh and out of the 3 ODB II codes that came up the one I can remember right now is P0300 I looked it up and it said that basically "not all 3 cylinders are firing correctly"

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
I hope this fixes it. If not I checked the prices on the LAF O2 sensor and the dealer wants $462!?!? WOW I checked hondapartsnow but couldn't find it on there. anyone got a link? Or know of somewhere else to find one for cheaper if I do end up needing one? Or is there a way to "fix" the one I have?
Yes, they cost that much, but don't worry about it. The EGR was the culprit.

Yell at me later if I'm wrong. :D

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So I went to the honda dealer picked up the new gasket came home grabbed the EGR Valve, put it all back together and tried it out. IT WORKED! I drove it about 20 miles to see if I could get it to replicate the studdering and nothing so i'm pretty happy about that. Thanks so much for all the help!

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
So I went to the honda dealer picked up the new gasket came home grabbed the EGR Valve, put it all back together and tried it out. IT WORKED! I drove it about 20 miles to see if I could get it to replicate the studdering and nothing so i'm pretty happy about that. Thanks so much for all the help!
Four people are collectively buffing their fingernails on their shirt collars. :)

·
Premium Member
1,069 Posts
Hi KnightsQuest3,

It was a pleasure being of service :).

Jim.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts