Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2001 insight with 280,000 miles on it. I have a parts car that is a 2000 that has AC and a security system my 2001 does not have. The parts car only has 40,000 miles on it. It was totaled in December. I plan on transferring the engine, IMA, Battery, dash, AC, transmition, brakes, etc. Will I have any issues and how should I address them.

Conditioning of battery pack? Off since December
Will changing out the dash set the miles to the other odometer?
AC controls on new dash are different will that cause any issues?
Is the security system plug and play?

Thanks for any help and advice.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Conditioning of battery pack? Off since December
Will changing out the dash set the miles to the other odometer?
AC controls on new dash are different will that cause any issues?
Is the security system plug and play?
1) You probably will want to grid charge the battery if at all possible based on everything I have read here so far.

2) Every Honda I have ever worked on stores the mileage information in the gauge cluster, not in the ECU or anywhere else. I assume that it would be the same on this vehicle.

3) I believe there were two types of air conditioning in this car -- dealer installed and factory installed. I'm not sure whether they have interchangeable control systems but some searching on the forum should turn up your answer for that. EDIT: Here's an informative post about the AC system: http://www.insightcentral.net/forum...3-installing-air-conditioning-transplant.html. It appears that while the AC could be dealer installed or factory installed (check VIN to find out which), it's the same AC system either way.

4) I would love to see some pictures of the security system. I just bought my car and haven't determined whether it has a security system or not. All of the documentation I've been able to find on the system doesn't describe how to identify/find components of the system. EDIT: The security system is standard Honda fare (see here:http://www.insightcentral.net/KB/faq-accessories.html). I suspect that the mounting kit simply ties into the relevant systems directly (locks, horn, lights/blinkers). Given that, I suspect it would be plug'n'play. The only thing to keep in mind is that the security system uses different keyfobs than the regular keyfob -- hopefully you have the security system fobs. Here's a link for the manual on the security system: http://www.insightcentral.net/forum...ystem-instruction-manual-08e51-s84-100-a.html.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is my understanding that a small button on the lower left hand side of the steering column and a red light on the top of the steering column are the only signs of the security system. In my case One car had it and the other did not. I saw the button and researched it and found that it was the factory installed security system. There are additional electronics as well.

My car sounds like a twin of yours, same year and color

Thanks very much for your reply

·
Super Moderator
8,862 Posts
1) You probably will want to grid charge the battery if at all possible based on everything I have read here so far.
Sent you a PM. Please check you PM box on top right:)

·
Read Only
2,009 Posts
I bought the Honda Security System from an online Honda dealer and installed it on my 2000 Insight. It is plug-and-play as far as wiring. The control unit installs behind the coin compartment on the lower left of the dashboard (left-hand-drive models). I mounted the LED and push-button switch on the steering column housing by drilling a couple of holes. As was stated, a different key fob is required.

The Honda Security System might not have been a factory option but only a dealer option (not sure).

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have removed the IMA battery. Is there anyone in Northern Alabama or Georgia that can help me with grid charging the IMA battery.

·
Premium Member
3,641 Posts
....Will changing out the dash set the miles to the other odometer?
... Every Honda I have ever worked on stores the mileage information in the gauge cluster, not in the ECU or anywhere else. I assume that it would be the same on this vehicle.
Confirmed. Recomend turning key on confirming all bulbs work before buttoning everything back up. (Although it's only a few screws.) And perhaps timing your trip button repair with your dash swap out. (See Highwater's posts)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts