Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I have not posted in 1000 years!

One of our beloved Insights (Bluebelle 2002 CVT) is now at the service department at a Honda dealer in Salinas after leaving us stranded on Saturday having thrown her main belt. The diagnosis is the drive pulley needs replacing at a minimum to get her going again (for $690) along with a new belt.

Her battery is a Honda OEM replacement from 2012 and is nearing it's end of life.

She is also very very slowly leaking oil somehow related to the crankshaft...

Up to this point she has not had any problems, but now with almost 190,000 miles she seems to be showing some age.

We are very sadly going to move from Bluebelle into a Honda Fit which suits our current lifestyle better - having all that space!

I am waiting on the dealer to make a trade-in offer, which I bet will be super low. I am otherwise thinking of pulling off her wheels/tires etc. for my other Insights and then selling her as salvage. That is not very kind to her, so if there is an alternative to find a nice home, it would be preferred!

Anyway, if anyone has any ideas, please let me know!

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
9,861 Posts
Yes it has been a long long time Figgy. How is EDWIN doing. Jack sold his years ago.

On the dealer diag. was that for the "tensioner" pully? It is a little confusing.
Posting for sale is OK, but you have to also post a price.

Willie

·
Premium Member
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will get more information on what exactly the identified problems are - we were busy today and I only heard 3rd hand on the details (which is why my vagueness). Plus, I am dumb and didn't think of a price anyway.

Her roof is quite sun damaged (she spent time in GA before we got her and was here in CA sun without much SPF to her sun block for many years).

Edwin is napping in the garage because the weld the shop did to place his exhaust on failed and I have not fixed it well enough to be reliable yet.

Jane has a new Bumblebee battery and harness from Jeff so we can grid charge her, and she is still going like a champ. I put very few miles on them (Bluebelle got all the miles) so Edwin and Jane are pretty much like the day they were born. Bluebelle is like the grandma to them.

I'll put up more information and try to come up with a "suggested" price in the next day or two.

We both road bike now, and it is impossible to put two full sized road bikes in the Insight with any grace (if it is possible at all), so having a Fit for Colleen will be nice for road trips with the two bikes and supplies. Always look on the bright side of life!

·
Premium Member
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update

We finally got the detailed information. The problem was with the idler pulley (causing the belt to derail) and crankshaft oil seal (the slow oil leak). We are moving her to a specialty shop that knows Insights for a complete evaluation.

If we decide to put her up for sale, I'll post that information.

Luckily problems do not seem too bad.

·
Super Moderator
4,795 Posts
That's easy, You can get a new idler pulley for $30-40, or just the bearing for probably less than $10. Changing it yourself is easy. Forget the oil leak unless it's leaving puddles.

Sam

·
Premium Member
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
UPDATE #2

Mar 14

The shop has gone over her and reports the engine has no compression. I do not have the tools or ability to do repairs. The cost to pay for repairs is too high for a 190,000 miles girl.

I am going to take her wheels and tires, spare, jack, floor mats... the not nailed down stuff I can use myself now or in the future.

===
QUESTION 1:

Are there parts that are easy to snag and/or high value to warrant work to salvage them?

Can anyone suggest any items it would be worth effort taking before she goes to salvage?

===
Question 2:

Does anyone know a Bay Area (San Jose area) salvage that would give decent $$$ for her seeing as she is all aluminum and a rarity?

Please, if anyone can help with suggestions, let me know!

Thank you all.

·
Premium Member
9,861 Posts
Maybe they didn't do a compression check right. They figured you MUST BE LOW on compression because of the miles on the vehicle. would get the pulley situation fixed and drive it and see what it feels like.

·
Registered
88 Posts
How much are you looking get? I'd fix her back up and get her running again.

UPDATE #2

Mar 14

The shop has gone over her and reports the engine has no compression. I do not have the tools or ability to do repairs. The cost to pay for repairs is too high for a 190,000 miles girl.

I am going to take her wheels and tires, spare, jack, floor mats... the not nailed down stuff I can use myself now or in the future.

===
QUESTION 1:

Are there parts that are easy to snag and/or high value to warrant work to salvage them?

Can anyone suggest any items it would be worth effort taking before she goes to salvage?

===
Question 2:

Does anyone know a Bay Area (San Jose area) salvage that would give decent $$$ for her seeing as she is all aluminum and a rarity?

Please, if anyone can help with suggestions, let me know!

Thank you all.

·
Premium Member
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Maybe they didn't do a compression check right. They figured you MUST BE LOW on compression because of the miles on the vehicle. would get the pulley situation fixed and drive it and see what it feels like.
They state:

"The pressure was at 15psi on #, spec is 128 and up. #2 and #3 coils are melted and my tech could not remove the spark plugs."

Given I have no space to store her or options for involved repair efforts, it seems like a quick parting and then salvage is the plan...

·
Premium Member
9,861 Posts
Got pics of the melted coils? That is something I would like to see.

·
Premium Member
195 Posts
Gotta agree with Willie here. Something doesn't add up. How does a thrown belt cause melted coils? I could see a blown head gasket from overheating causing low compression in one or more cylinders.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts