Honda Insight Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I recently bought an EV converted Insight that still needs some finishing touches. Finally took delivery of it today, unfortunately on the way over, the rear hatch got busted out.
Automotive parking light Car Vehicle Vehicle registration plate Plant

But, it's in it's new home, so that's good.

This will be the thread for the project. I was hoping to have a better overview of the car today, but I don't want to go digging into it right now with the hatch glass everywhere.
If anyone has a line on a replacement hatch in New England, I'm definitely open to hearing about it. I have a potential option already, but I don't want to assume that's going to happen.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have ~95% of a spare hatch
PM sent. Thanks for being so quick to help out with this project!

The guy whose house I'm storing at it showed up and convinced me to clean most of the glass out and take him for a test drive. Everything works, but it's an absolute dog right now. I'm going to have to do a lot of reading on how to program the motor controller to see if I can make it a bit better to drive in traffic. There is also NO charging solution or balancing solution right now, so this is probably the last time it'll be driven for a while. I'm really excited to dig in, finish out the roughing in, and then button everything up. This should be a great project and definitely not a huge money sink that will be 100% not worth it in the end.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think the original post said it came from a gen1 Volt .. Is it the whole gen1 volt battery (3p96s) ?
It is the whole pack split in two and put in parallel. Since I'm planning to head out that way, I might as well load them up and bring them with me. I need to get them out of there to clean out the glass and generally figure out what's going on in there in the first place.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
More than likely it will be a money sink.
Ah yes, I see sarcasm still doesn't come through well in text. This is in idiotic monetary investment, but I feel like it will be valuable experience that results in having a thing I want.

IamIan, we're on about the same page for what motor is in it and what I can expect out of it, however it's worth noting that it's built without a clutch, so unless I get good at driving a MT, or do some serious software wizardry, I'm stuck in the gear I start in. I'm totally up to reconfigure everything to be in wye mode, I do industrial maintenance professionally so it's not a huge deal to me.

The battery and how to manage it is the big mystery to me, and I'm rapidly figuring all of that out with the help you're providing.

At this point, the big problem is getting the not insubstantial amount of funding I need to finish this project out in a reasonable timeframe. Considering pretending I can make a youtube channel about it and become popular out of nowhere and get thousands of dollars a month on patreon. :p

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That all sounds reasonable to me. There's no reality where I have everything sorted to move ahead with batteries and don't have 200 other projects on this car to worry about at the same time in the next two months. I really appreciate all of your help!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hood Automotive lighting Bumper Trunk Personal luxury car

Finished emptying out the back of the EV and got the batteries loaded into my car for a roadtrip next week. No wonder the last guy thought the shocks were gone, these suckers are heavy. I really shouldn't ride around with them in the car for the next week, but I don't have many other options.
Went ahead and removed the remains of the rear glass and pulled the hatch off before ratchet strapping it back on. Doesn't seem to fit through the hole it covers, so that's a bummer, but I have some other ideas on how to make things work to transport it in the car.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
You know what's not fun? Mouse droppings.

I smell terrible and I look forward to the shower I'm about to take, but the interior is mostly out of the car. All that remains is the hard plastic and the door panels. That's a project for another day, though.
Hood Vehicle Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Car

I have glass covering the hole now thanks to IamIan, so that's rather great.

Found kinks and electrical tape around the HV wires, so those definitely have to be replaced.

Pulled the seat covers and I'm getting ready to throw them in the wash. What's the prevailing wisdom on how to dry them afterward?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Mice really make a nasty mess out of Insights! They find their way into everything. Check the headliner by knocking on it and listening for the rattle of droppings. Mouse piss in the dome light is a gross clue too. They can nest in and around the HVAC ducts. Also the cowl area below the wipers. And the cavities around the rear wheel wells are one of their favorite spots. All the way from the seat belt area to the back of the car. There are a few foam blocks in there that make great nesting material and/or toilets.
Since I need to strip out all the IMA and ICE wiring anyway, and put in my own, my plan is to completely strip the interior and actually just pressure wash the thing. The headliner is coated in droppings and I'm not sure what approach I'm taking there. I might have to remake the thing somehow, or maybe my upholstery cleaner will be an absolute hero and salvage it. I'm not too worried about it, I'm already going to have to be making my own upholstered panels for the rear, so it shouldn't be too much of a stretch to take what I learned and make a new headliner if I need to. All work I'd rather not be doing, but I'm not willing to let one of these cars go to the dump for something as silly as mouse smell.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
That's good to hear! I'm planning to completely strip the wiring from the car and pare it down to what I'm actually using, anyway. I've been looking at pressure washers, but if just a good hosing will do it, that saves me a fair amount of cash. Might still be worth having the tool around, though.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts