Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own the above and am being told by Honda that they will not honor a warrenty that covers a new battery. This is based on a class action suit that states that they will be replaced if purchased between 4/13/2002 and 2006. The original owner purchased it in 2001. I have contacted a repair person in New York and he told me that it is still covered for 10 years. Can anyone guide me? I really need some help. The cost of the repair at the Honda dealer is 2500.00 which we don't have.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Check out the following:

Extended IMA Warranty Coverage for 2000-04 Honda Insights

There are newer versions of the documents available there but mentioning the Service Bulletin number to the dealership should be enough to get dialogue started. That's what I did when they started telling me how much it would cost to replace the battery and BCM last fall. I just asked the tech to look up that number and I got a call back later that the work was covered under warranty.

·
Premium Member
2,891 Posts
discussion by other owners in thread:

http://www.insightcentral.net/forums/honda-insight-forum-1st-gen-discussion/11191-us-ima-warranty-10-year-extension-updated-all-50-states.html

download the service bulletins and even manuals in thread:

http://www.insightcentral.net/forums/honda-insight-forum-1st-gen-discussion/16983-download-2000-2006-insight-service-manual-pdf-others.html

best of luck ... in short ... if you are in the U.S. ... and the vehicle does not have a salvage title ... you got at least 10 years 150,000 miles ... some people have a bit more.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
genrn3

Sean, I have printed out the 06-026 and the 06-057 and it clearly shows that my battery on the 2002 Honda Insight should be replaced. Honda (including the corporate office) kept telling me that since it was purchased prior to the April 13th, 2002 date it was not covered under the warrenty that the class action suite did. It was purchased by the original owner in Dec of 2001. I don't know how to thank you. This is a car that my daughter who is in college drives and she is broke...so when we found out that they were not going to cover the 2500.00 repair (after we were initially told they would in Nov 2009) we were very upset. I spoke with the service manager and the sales manager and they were trying to work out something by giving me 1000.00 for the insight (after I've spent thousands) and trying to sell me another Honda that wasn't in very good shape for 4700.00

·
Registered
811 Posts
Sounds that they tryed to take advantage of you and your situation.

·
Premium Member
2,891 Posts
It is sad when people do these kinds of things to their customers... but that is why we have courts.

I'm not a lawyer, but ...

Bottom line ... if the car is not salvage titled ... and you have not tampered with it ... and it is a U.S. Gen-1 Honda Insight ... The IMA battery is covered for 10 years or 150,000 miles which ever comes first ... they will loose in court.

·
Premium Member
957 Posts
What dealer is this? It really irks me that some dealers and Honda corporate continue to pull this crap on owners! I hope I don't have to involve my brother's law firm should I have battery trouble in the next 40k or so miles. Sold 3/03 I'll be out of miles long before I'm out of time!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
genrn3. Bad IMA Batter

Over the weekend I received the 06-057 BUT now I'm being told by Honda here in Jefferson City Mo that the class action lawsuit is after that and they DO NOT HAVE TO COVER ANY INSIGHT PURCHASED BEFORE 4/13/2002. Can someone help me??? I'm pretty desparate here. 06-057 says all batteries- the lawsuit says only ones purchased after the above date. Who are the attorneys for the class action lawsuit.

·
Premium Member
957 Posts
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but in a conversation with Honda customer service SB#06-057 was revised on 02-16-2008 and in the background section there is a limitation on the 02-04 models to those purchased 4-13-02 to 11-07-06. RLC and others have likely been lucky this more strict interpretation of the court's decision wasn't implemented in their situations. CS also said beyond the dealer itself the DPSM or district parts service manager makes the decision on these matters.

Perhaps a plea with the dealer to ask the DPSM(or ask to contact them yourself) and if not outright goodwill perhaps they'd meet you halfway. If not then Ron Hansen would be your best bet. If I had a grid charger put together yet I'd run it by and see if we could rejuvenate the battery!

I'd sure like to see a copy of the final disposition of the lawsuit and whatever updated SBs there are.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
genrn3

Still having trouble see my note above. They say that the law suit (2008)superceeds the warrenty for 2006.

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but in a conversation with Honda customer service SB#06-057 was revised on 02-16-2008 and in the background section there is a limitation on the 02-04 models to those purchased 4-13-02 to 11-07-06. RLC and others have likely been lucky this more strict interpretation of the court's decision wasn't implemented in their situations. CS also said beyond the dealer itself the DPSM or district parts service manager makes the decision on these matters.

Perhaps a plea with the dealer to ask the DPSM(or ask to contact them yourself) and if not outright goodwill perhaps they'd meet you halfway. If not then Ron Hansen would be your best bet. If I had a grid charger put together yet I'd run it by and see if we could rejuvenate the battery!

I'd sure like to see a copy of the final disposition of the lawsuit and whatever updated SBs there are.
If you read it carefully, the 2002 limitation is specifically referring to the 5% extension only and ALL 2000-2004 Insights have a 10/150,000 warranty EXCEPT the 4/13/2002+ cars which have a 10/157,500 warranty.

The dealer in this case is not reading the next paragraph and is apparently only looking at the 06-057 from 2006 and not the 2/8/2008 update.

·
Premium Member
2,891 Posts
Have you tried to just go to a different dealer ?

Might be the easiest option.

- - - - - - - -

Make sure you have a copy of all related Service Bulletins.
I think the #s are:

00-070
06-026
06-027
06-057
06-085

- - - - - - - -

Sadly sometimes people try this crap ... but that is why we have courts... They are on weak legal ground at best... I think the dealership is just afraid of the $3,000 back charge Honda reserves to charge them.

- - - - - - - -

I have a 2000 Model year Insight ... they changed mine and hundreds of other's IMA batteries under this extended warranty... this is just the same crap others have reported in the other thread listed in the 3rd post.... not the first time a crappy dealer has tried this crap ... sadly ... and probably won't be the last... they are wrong ... and it is covered ... push comes to shove ... they will lose if it goes to court and they know it ... they just hope to bully you out of $ hoping you won't really push the issue.

·
Premium Member
957 Posts
If you read it carefully, the 2002 limitation is specifically referring to the 5% extension only and ALL 2000-2004 Insights have a 10/150,000 warranty EXCEPT the 4/13/2002+ cars which have a 10/157,500 warranty.

The dealer in this case is not reading the next paragraph and is apparently only looking at the 06-057 from 2006 and not the 2/8/2008 update.
My apologies if I've repeated erroneous information. Apparently Honda customer service has the same misinterpretation as the dealer.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Problems with IMA warranty Sacramento, CA

I have a 2001 with 118,000 miles and original purchase date 3/24/2001 (by the original owner, not me). The IMA light came on 10/7, pulled the code with my scan tool, 1447. Took the car to a dealership, they charged me $105 and two and half hours of my time to find the same code. Then they told me that the part number 1D010-PHM-003, description IMA Battery Assy. is only covered by a 8yr/80,000mi warranty, so is now out of warranty. I have the service bulletins 057 and 026, I haven't been able to find 027. I called Honda USA and the rep and I went round and round about part numbers. They opened a case to research my issue. When I gave the tech at the dealership the failed part number listed on the SB his response was that is an invalid part number. My point with the rep. was, no matter what number is currently assigned to the part an IMA battery is an IMA battery--am I right on this point?? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Happy Ending

So, I am glad to report a happy ending to my battery replacement saga. The analyst at American Honda authorized the replacement without charge, and I got the $105 diagnostic charge back also. The one odd thing that came up during the exchanges was, I ask the American Honda analyst if the new battery would come with any warrenty. She replied that Honda was replacing the battery as a "courtesy" so no warrenty, unless I wanted to participate in the cost of replacement then there would be a 3 year 30,000 (or maybe 36,000) mile warrenty--I declined. She also said my car didn't qualify for the BCM and MCM replacement mentioned in the TSBs but, since those parts seem to have worked fine for 9 1/2 years I'm guessing they will continue, or at least one can always hope.

·
Premium Member
957 Posts
She replied that Honda was replacing the battery as a "courtesy" so no warrenty
I am just incredulous at the continued BS from Honda CSRs. If this battery fails before 3-24-2011 they are required to replace it again provided you haven't put over 32K more miles on it.

per Insightful Trekker in the sticky on IMA extended warranty: "All 2000–2004 Insights registered in the states of Arizona, California, Colorado, Florida, Hawaii, Nevada, and Texas get the IMA battery module ONLY if it fails. (No, I don't know why there is this difference)" This may explain your situation with controllers. If you're not in one of these states you should have got both MCM and BCM, though some believe you're better off with the originals.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts