Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm selling a beautiful specimen of a silver 2002 Honda Insight. It does have A/C. Its in fabulous shape and I know of nothing the car will need in the next 10k miles, except the regularly scheduled maintenance. It just had a new CVT installed as part of Honda's transmission recall (my Civic hybrid needed that too). It has new IMA batteries (at 55k miles).

I drive a 2000 Insight with a 5spd most of the time and I think that the CVT version has more power. Its a great car to drive!

The car is a one owner cream-puff. I bought it from the original owners on 8/14/08 to resell and I have not titled it. I do have a signed and notarized, clear NC title in hand, waiting for your name to be entered on the "Buyer" line. Carfax shows two owners because the original owner got married and added his wife to the title about 9 months after it was purchased, but it is a one owner vehicle. I have most of its maintenance records. I'm mentioning the ownership bit in the interest of full disclosure. If you'd like a copy of the carfax report, send me a PM with your email or phone number.

It does have 2 small scratches on the passenger side of the dashboard. They are totally cosmetic and I'm going to try to get them touched up a bit. The black part of the dash is gray with a black film over it and something put a minor cosmetic scratch in the film so it shows up gray. The bigger of the two spots is about the size of a dime and the other is about half that size. Its not a big deal and its definitely the worst cosmetic flaw on the car. Its truly in excellent shape, especially for a 2002 with 60k miles. It is obviously a well-loved vehicle.

It has four tires that were replaced about 3 years ago so they have less than 30k miles on them. There is lots of life left in them.

I drove it 300 miles last week and averaged 60mpg in it, without trying to hypermile it. That was before the new transmission, so it should do even better now!

It has an nice after-market Sony CD-Player. I do have the original factory tape deck and it will be included. It did not originally have rear speakers, but its owner added after-market speakers in the rear. It has the after-market speaker grills on them and looks good. The front speakers are stock.

This car has the California HOV stickers on it. I live in eastern TN so I'm not sure what they actually allow you to do, but I know they give you special driving privileges in CA and I know they are either impossible or very difficult to get now. They also add several thousand dollars to the value of a car on eBay.

I'm going to try to get some pictures up here by the end of the day on Monday. If you have questions, feel free to PM me or give me a call on my cell phone at 423-534-4861. The first person to commit to purchasing it (with some form of down-payment or plane reservations) gets it! I'll probably give it about a week then I'll post it on eBay. When I do that, I'll add the eBay link to this page.

I am asking $18,500 for this rare Honda Insight with A/C in a cream-puff state with the HOV stickers - and the fact that its a rare Honda Insight! It has lots and lots of miles left to go! It also has a valid NC inspection sticker on the windshield.

I am planning a trip to Phoenix next week - if you'll pay my gas and return flight, I'll bring it out as far as Phoenix, AZ. I live in Kingsport, TN, about 2 hours from the entrance to Great Smokey Mountains National Park and only an hour from the Blue Ridge Parkway, Pisgah National Forest, and Cherokee National Forest. It would be a great excuse to come out and enjoy the mountains! I'll be glad to meet you at Tri-Cities Regional Airport (TRI - listed as one of the following cities in TN: Blountville/Johnson City/Bristol/Kingsport). I can also meet you at Asheville, NC Airport (AVL - about an hour and a half from my home), and Knoxville, TN's McGhee Tyson Airport (TYS). I can arrange to meet you at other Airports (Atlanta, GA; Charlotte, NC; Nashville, TN), but you'll probably have to pay for me to rent a car to go home with as well as my gas to get there and back. You are also welcome to come to Kingsport, TN on your own and pick it up! I would feel comfortable driving this car anywhere!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You got a steal of a deal! You are one lucky person! I sold a 2000 Insight in Red with a 5spd and 8k miles in February 2008 for $14,800 and the values have shot up since then (about 50%). If you get lucky enough to find someone who doesn't know what they have, you can get a good deal. However, in my experience most people who don't know what they have often don't take care of it as well as those who know the car well. Congrats on your fantastic deal! I hope you get many fantastic miles out of it!

·
Registered
55 Posts
First of all I am not interested in buying the car because believe it or not I already own a 2002 Insight with CVT with 64K miles on it.
My question is what is this cvt recall you mention? I didn't receive anything in the mail or told by the dealer that there was any kind of recall.
My mpg while ok is not what others get-thus naturally anything re: the transmission would interest me as I have nothing to lose.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
salty1 said:
First of all I am not interested in buying the car because believe it or not I already own a 2002 Insight with CVT with 64K miles on it.
My question is what is this cvt recall you mention? I didn't receive anything in the mail or told by the dealer that there was any kind of recall.
My mpg while ok is not what others get-thus naturally anything re: the transmission would interest me as I have nothing to lose.
Honda Issued a recall for Insights and Civic Hybrids with CVTs. The transmission will either start to shudder or slip. Slipping is hard to feel on a CVT, but the shudder is easily identified. To test for it, you can find a steep hill and gun it from a dead stop on the hill. If it shudders, take it to your dealer and they will either replace the clutch mechanism or the entire transmission. To find out if your car is covered by that warranty, call your dealer and give them your VIN. I believe you can go online at the Honda owner's section of the website to check the warranty.

It should be a 7 year/100k mile warranty, plus the 5% mileage extension that Honda is doing as part of a settlement over odometer inaccuracies.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've lowered the price to $17,000. Here are some sample pics. There are lots more at the link in the original post.

·
Registered
144 Posts
YIkes that's a ton of money! I don't think they're comanding those prices any longer.? I wonder why you have CA HOV stickers for a car that lives in TN? Seems odd.

Good luck!
Mark

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The stickers are from when it was registered in CA. An Insight thats in excellent condition like this one with only 60k miles will pull close to $15k and the stickers add value to it because they either aren't available anymore or are hard to acquire. I"ll entertain any reasonable offer. Let me know what you can do!

·
Registered
330 Posts
A couple months ago you would get this price in a heartbeat....the bubble is over and if you do your ebay research, prices have cooled and lately cars of this low mileage and condition are only getting low teens or not selling at all...nice car, but it will take some time to find a buyer at your high price

·
Registered
24 Posts
When I bought my 2001 two years ago here in California, I checked with DMV and two other state goverment offices about continue using the HOV stickers that came with the car--i.e., can I continue drive on HOV lanes? The answers were pretty confusing first. Finally, the one responsible person at the right office (I can dig out the name and the office for you if you want) declared that the permit was granted to the person and the car as the paperwork in the storage compartment states both, thus I, the new owner, whose name was not on the permit, would be violating the HOV lane law while taking a chance for the $360+ fine. So, I decided to apply for the new sticker under my name while the quota was still available. The application form even had the check box for reapplying for the permit, asking for the number of the existing sticker.

I don't understand how people are selling these cars implying that the buyer can drive it on HOV with the existing sticker. That is, unless they will issue the replacement permit even though there is no more quota.

Just in case I was not wrong, this is FYI.

·
Registered
330 Posts
JL I am glad you posted that about the CA HOV stickers. We have only had HOV priviledges in AZ for our Insights/Prius/CivicHybrid for a couple years. The state did a study and chose not to use the stickers, but to issue a BLUE PLATE. The plate does not go with the car when sold and can only be used by the original person issued. The original person issued with the plate can sell his qualifying car and purchase a new qualifying car and go to MVD with his original BLUE PLATE and have them authorize it on the new car. There are no new issue BLUE PLATES available. This is the way AZ kept people not authorized with HOV use out of the lanes. YES CA will ticket if your stickers are not issued to you......Thanks again JL for posting this information.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Wow! Thanks for posting that! I had no idea that was the case. I've always lived in TN and only knew what I had read and/or been told about them. My understanding was that they were transferrable, but it looks like I need to do some more research into what is involved in transferring them.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I investigated the Access OK Clean Air Stickers. While they are not issuing them anymore and they are forever tied to the vehicle to which they were issued, they are transferrable to a new owner. The fee is $8.00. Here is CA's DMV website that talks about it with links to the ownership transfer application:

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/vr/decal.htm

·
Premium Member
10,342 Posts
Standard practice at the CA DMV. One hand doesn't know what the other hand is doing. If you have ever seen a VC book from Ca. it is over 1.5" thick and in small print :roll:

Willie

·
Registered
330 Posts
I have been watching your car on ebay and really hoping you would get what you wanted. Unfortunately the high priced Insight feeding frenzy seems to be over for now. With just over 1 day left you are only at $6800 :cry: Maybe there will be some late bidders and snipers to get it up to where you want.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Auto-60M ... dZViewItem

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I don't quite understand what the market is doing. In the last 2 weeks there have been two insights, one a 2006 5spd with 54k miles and the other a 2005 CVT with 40k miles that sold for $20,000.

Right now, there is one just like mine, without the HOV stickers but with a SALVAGE title, that has been bid up almost $2000 more than mine and it ends a day after mine.

If my reserve doesn't get met and I have to relist, can I get some feedback on how to improve the auction text or pictures I should include or remove?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts