Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wanting to upgrade the stereo system on my 2002 Insight. Although playing cassette tapes is a great feature, would like to be able to play CD's.

Was wondering if anyone has any feedback regarding where to buy, and potential things to look out for during the install?

Crutchfield looks like it will include an installation guide, and prices are reasonable.

I found the below threads that somewhat detail the new stereo install.

·
Premium Member
1,041 Posts
I spent $20 at a salvage yard buying an OEM cd player that fit perfectly. Just about any 1 DIN Honda radio from 1998 thru 2013 will work.

·
Registered
2000 MT
33 Posts
If you aren't an audiophile then any aftermarket decent branded unit will be more than enough.
If you have a junkyard handy then I would totally go the oem plug and play route, just get a picture of the vin number from the donor car and you can run the radio code online.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Is there one that works with Apple Play and has a pop-up screen that fits? G1 radio location is awkward...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
If anybody ends up finding this, just for future reference. I ended up purchasing some items through Crutchfield and also through Amazon/eBay if the speakers I wanted were available for cheaper. Crutchfield is EXCELLENT, but many items are out of stock. I highly recommend buying through Crutchfield because they include wiring harness for free! If you get the wiring harnesses you don't have to splice any wires so installation is incredibly easy. I highly recommend buying the the wiring harness as it will make future speakers changes much easier and the install very easy.

I used the following links for the install:

Radio Install/Swap

Behind Seat Speakers

I bought these parts:

Radio Wiring Harness (Included with Crutchfield purchase)

Wiring Harness (Works for door speakers and rear) (Included with speaker purchase through Crutchfield)

Kenwood KDC-BT375U

Rear Speakers: Kenwood KFC-1666S 300 Watts 6.5"

Door Speakers: KICKER CS Series CSC65 6.5"

Only modifications I had to do was using box cutters to trim out an opening for the rear speakers behind the seat. It doesn't look great, but the speaker quality is much improved without it being covered. I also spliced some wires in the front door to attach the speakers only because I didn't want to wait a day for the plug and play wiring harness. I also drilled holes for the speakers behind the seat so they could be mounted. The aluminum is very easy to drill through this took maybe 10 minutes for both speakers to install.

All in all spent less than $200 and the speaker quality is excellent and now have bluetooth capabilities.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts