Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please help ! I have a chance to buy a 2002 honga insight for 2000$ apparemtly was her grand dads and only has 37000 miles on it ...Im new to hybrids .. is this a good deal ? what should i look for please ? im suposed to meet them later today .. a quick response would be appreciated TYVM !!

·
7,200 Posts
The proverbial grandma car!

Buy it before I do..... ;) Kidding... kinda.

37k miles for $2000 is a steal, assuming it's in half decent condition.

Here's a buyer's guide I found with a quick search. There are probably others.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
That's a good deal regardless. 5 speed or auto? Chances are good the battery will need to be either revived or bypassed. You can drive the car without the hybrid battery connected, it's just a lot more pokey.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Its an automatic .. will it make a difference ??
it looks in amazing shape ... she said her grand dads health is why he cant drive it ..and want to sell it

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
it looks in amazing shape ... she said her grand dads health is why he cant drive it ..and want to sell it
There's a market for automatics. A manual is more desirable among enthusiasts because the fuel economy is much better and there's a better track record for reliability. As much as we on this forum love these cars though, they're typically not worth all that much. With those miles and a good hybrid battery you might be looking at 5-6k, but if the battery is bad or going bad, 2500-3000 might be all you can get out of it. My opinion, I'd buy and use it as a commuter, since they're super reliable and get such great fuel economy.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
I like mine for long trips. NVH isn't great - they don't have a lot of sound insulation - and the seats are something you either love or hate. They also don't come with factory cruise control but there are some inexpensive aftermarket options.

They're engaging cars to drive though, and eat up miles at lower cost per mile than even the best electric cars, and even with more than a quarter million miles I wouldn't hesitate to drive 3000 miles in mine without even opening the hood before leaving.

·
Super Moderator
8,420 Posts
The automatics have their fans, though the geeky side of the Insight clan usually prefers the manual 5 speed. If it has been garage kept and has good paint, then IMO it is a screaming buy. You can look it over using this guide:

Ask how long it has been sitting still. The hybrid batteries can cause problems if the cars aren't driven fairly regularly.
Also, The IMA(hybrid) system can be expensive to maintain or repair. Test drive and make sure the IMA light on the dash(bottom right of dash) doesn't come on under hard acceleration. You can see this light do a self test immediately when the key is turned to the "run" position, just before starting.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
TYVM im going to buy it now for 1800 with 37000 miles i ll send pics when i return .. its like a 2 hour ride each way .. so i ll know if i like the car by the time i return AGAIN TY

·
Registered
2006 Honda Insight MT
610 Posts
Good luck! It's a quirky but amazing car, you'll fall in love with it over the 2 hour return trip. ;)

37k miles for $1800 is a steal.

Reactions: driscotj

·
Registered
2002 Monte Carlo Blue CVT
225 Posts
That's a very, very good deal regardless of IMA battery condition in my opinion.

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,907 Posts
Johnjay;
When you get back, make sure you include your location in your Profile, as ALL G1 Insighters have done.

·
Registered
6,961 Posts
You should probably turn the pack OFF (open up little access panel under rear hatch carpet, flip switch) before you drive it - if the car's been sitting for a long time. Some people have to pull the connectors on the battery computer to maintain 12V charging, that requires removing the whole 'lid' to the IMA area...

·
Registered
67 Posts
Good luck. Welcome to the team! This forum by far has some of the most helpful people on the web.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Please help ! I have a chance to buy a 2002 honga insight for 2000$ apparemtly was her grand dads and only has 37000 miles on it ...Im new to hybrids .. is this a good deal ? what should i look for please ? im suposed to meet them later today .. a quick response would be appreciated TYVM !!
Hell yeah if alls in 37k mile condition. Hopefully u know what kinda inspection to do and.what to inspect.and.if.not itd be wlrth a few bucks to have it thoughly checked by a good mechanic. If u dont want it id be happy to take it.lol.....and ive.got one already. Rich/San Jose

1 - 16 of 16 Posts