Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2002 insight CVT is surging and RPMs are going up/down like a TCC engaging & disengaging?

Happens at cruise at say 60 mph when my RPMs would normally be at 2400 RPMs but now it hovers around 3000 to 3500, then occasionally drops back to normal 2400 RPMs...

I notice the Instant MPG goes way down from 57 mpg to like 47 mpg when the Rs spike over 3000 RPMs.

Also when I decelerate = lift off the gas pedal, it downshifts to like a lower gear, and the RPMs rise and slows the car down a tad?!?!?

As a result my Full tank MPG went from a normal 570 miles per tank to like 400 per tank.. :confused:

NOTE: I have already did a Trans fluid service with "Honda CVT trans fluid" around 2000 miles ago and all was fine then, Also I was told there is NO filter is that true? so Im perplexed to say the least :(

I read somewhere in the forums about a factory reset when disconnecting the battery and driving it up to 37 mph the lift off the gas for 5 seconds also... that didn't work heave sigh..

Any answers to this frustrating problem?

Thank you in advance :)

·
Registered
106 Posts
Check fluid level ASAP could be failing from low fluid

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
4,803 Posts
Yes I did a service not long ago and its full so im worried here...
How long ago was the fluid changed, and what color is it? Did they use Honda CVT fluid?

EDIT: I just saw your post about this. Yes, there are two filters.

Sam

·
Premium Member
9,876 Posts
Apparently you don't accept PM's, so Please include your location in your profile, as ALL G1 Insighters have done. Thank you.
Willie

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Apparently you don't accept PM's, so Please include your location in your profile, as ALL G1 Insighters have done. Thank you.
Willie
Hi Willie,
No i haven't fully setup my profile with info yet but I'm from Modesto Ca.
Is there a setting to receive PMs im not aware of?

J

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes it's Honda CVT trans fluid I had to buy

How long ago was the fluid changed, and what color is it? Did they use Honda CVT fluid?

EDIT: I just saw your post about this. Yes, there are two filters.

Sam

Yes it's Honda CVT trans fluid I had to buy and did it maybe 2000 miles ago. the fluid seems clear and we just drained and filled the trans.
Where are these 2 filters located???

J

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)

Ok I found it by searching in your posts, AWESOME! Now if i could get some part # as to where you found these because I did a search on Amazon just now and they are discontinued.
BUT I foud them at another source. I ordered all i need and will give this a shot next weekend weather permitting. Hope its as easy as a trans service to fix this scary slipping issue... Stay Tuned!!!

J

J

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
NOTE: I have already did a Trans fluid service with "Honda CVT trans fluid" around 2000 miles ago and all was fine then, Also I was told there is NO filter is that true?
How many miles on the car? By Trans fluid service you mean drain and refill, right? How does the fluid look on the dipstick now? Should be nearly clear.

Has two filters plus pan gasket and orings.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
How many miles on the car? By Trans fluid service you mean drain and refill, right? How does the fluid look on the dipstick now? Should be nearly clear.

Has two filters plus pan gasket and orings.

YES I have ONLY did a drain & fill because I was told that CVTs dont have filters...

I have a hunch this is the problem.

J

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I changed the 2 Filters and 4.5 Quarts of Honda CVT Fluid today!

RESULTS!

Well NOT what I expected.... It's smoother thats the first thing I noticed but its still slipping in and out of HIGH gear/ like a TCC Toque Converter lockup going on and out of lockup.

Thats what it feels like and I can hear the engines tone drop when it goes in to lockup or high gear for a moment and the RPMs drop as it should but then it lets go and the RPMs rev higher again and this is the problem i'm still having. The car has 109 thousand miles on the clock.

BOTH filters and magnets were pretty black with soot with the fluid darker than normal..

Any thoughts???

Thank you in advance!!

J

1 - 17 of 17 Posts