Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I believe my late husband Greg used to be a member of this forum, so I thought it would be a good resource for me in setting a price for his silver 2002 Insight. I looked at kbb and even eBay, but don't know how much impact a disconnected IMA battery has on the value of the car. My son-in-law, who is an electrical engineer, disconnected the IMA battery after two failed attempts by a company in NY to refurbish it. He advised me to cut my losses, so I've been running it on gas and am getting 50 mpg. The only mechanical work done on the car was transmission work 7 years ago. No repairs needed since then. I take it in regularly for general maintenance (oil change, etc.). The car has 130,000 miles on it. It's in great shape in and out. Original owner no accidents. I would appreciate some guidance in pricing the car to sell. My husband absolutely LOVED the car, so I was unable to let go of it for several years because of that emotional connection. Now our daughter has a car and needs a space to park it in the garage. We live in the Ann Arbor, MI area. Thank you. Lynette

·
Registered
762 Posts
I believe my late husband Greg used to be a member of this forum, so I thought it would be a good resource for me in setting a price for his silver 2002 Insight. I looked at kbb and even eBay, but don't know how much impact a disconnected IMA battery has on the value of the car. My son-in-law, who is an electrical engineer, disconnected the IMA battery after two failed attempts by a company in NY to refurbish it. He advised me to cut my losses, so I've been running it on gas and am getting 50 mpg. The only mechanical work done on the car was transmission work 7 years ago. No repairs needed since then. I take it in regularly for general maintenance (oil change, etc.). The car has 130,000 miles on it. It's in great shape in and out. Original owner no accidents. I would appreciate some guidance in pricing the car to sell. My husband absolutely LOVED the car, so I was unable to let go of it for several years because of that emotional connection. Now our daughter has a car and needs a space to park it in the garage. We live in the Ann Arbor, MI area. Thank you. Lynette
Hi there and welcome! I am glad you feel compelled to sell it to "insight family" someone here will take good care of it.

As for pricing, is your insight a manual or automatic? do you have pics of it? paint color and condition? If its on the higher end, i think its worth somewhere around 3500, and the lower end would be around 2500. If it is an automatic then it will probably be closer to the $2500, stick shifts bring more money around these parts because the are more fuel efficient and I believe more reliable.
Again welcome to the site! Do you know what your late husbands username on here was? that could give us more info about the car.

·
Registered
820 Posts
I agree, more information is needed. If you could post photos that would be great. What color is your car? Also, how long you're willing to take to sell the car and if you're willing to work with buyers that are further away are factors. It's rare, but it's buyers are also a little rare and right now gas isn't as high as it has been.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Lynette: I am so sorry for your loss. I hope you have found some peace since then.

Andrew

·
Premium Member
1,216 Posts
Very interested

Lynette
Very interested in your car. Been to Detroit and back twice over the last
2 days so I'm not far away at all. Pm sent with my phone number for you to call.
Thanks
Gerald

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow, I didn't expect such immediate responses...and I'm thrilled to hear that I'll be able to find someone who will take good care of the car and not drive it into the ground as a beater. The car is silver and has a standard transmission. I just looked in my file folder containing Insight documentation, and discovered a copy of the original email from Insight Central with my husband's user name...it was umbra. I take good care of the car, but will thoroughly clean it inside and out on Sunday so it looks its best when I take pictures to post. No, I'm not in any particular hurry to sell the car. Finding it a good home is most important to me. Thank you for all the advice and for a general idea of what the car is worth.

Lynette

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Lynette
Very interested in your car. Been to Detroit and back twice over the last
2 days so I'm not far away at all. Pm sent with my phone number for you to call.
Thanks
Gerald
Gerald, I didn't expect such immediate responses or I would have waited to join the forum a few more days. Due to other commitments, I am unable to do anything with the car until Sunday. Your email mentioned a phone number, but I don't see one. Lynette

·
Premium Member
1,216 Posts
Gerald, I didn't expect such immediate responses or I would have waited to join the forum a few more days. Due to other commitments, I am unable to do anything with the car until Sunday. Your email mentioned a phone number, but I don't see one. Lynette
Lynnette,
Have you checked your private messages? I sent you one and confirmed it had my phone number. Go to the upper right of this page and click on 'private messages'. I left you one with my phone number.
Thanks
Gerald

·
Registered
620 Posts
Ma'am... I sent you a message as well.
I live local to you and would love to see your husbands car. I'd be honored to get the IMa replaced and utilize this for my commuting. I live in royal oak and can stop by to see it at your schedule. No rush whatsoever.

·
Registered
620 Posts
I've got an 86 mile commute (one way). Would love to drive an insight for this commute. If the seller wants to offer to me, I'd need you good folks to assist with getting the IMA back up. I'd prefer to have it fully going again like her husband originally had it.

·
Premium Member
1,216 Posts
Please sell this to someone who intends to drive it. Not hoard it.
I totally agree that this car would be better suited for DeLee and I am no longer interested. DeLee hope you get this car and hope to see you around on the forum. You will love these cars. Good luck to both buyer and seller.
Gerald

·
Registered
620 Posts
I totally agree that this car would be better suited for DeLee and I am no longer interested. DeLee hope you get this car and hope to see you around on the forum. You will love these cars. Good luck to both buyer and seller
Gerald
I hope I get a chance as well! If I am able to purchase the car, I will be around a lot to fine tune it and to get the best mileage out of it for my long drives. I will want to get the IMA back up, so I'll need help from you guys. I'm not opposed to buying a new IMA, unless you guys have a better option.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Check out this thread where Eli and people are looking into the viability of selling matched, rebuilt packs with built in grid chargers and warranty. I think it could be a good option for cars at this price level, but I'm not sure how far along Eli is with actually doing this.

·
Registered
461 Posts
I totally agree that this car would be better suited for DeLee and I am no longer interested. DeLee hope you get this car and hope to see you around on the forum. You will love these cars. Good luck to both buyer and seller.
Gerald

ATTA BOY! People taking care of people and doing good deeds.
I applaud your decision making in this possible scenario.

In general though, if you are indeed moving towards a salvage business for the cars, once again thank you. That I am sure will be appreciated by us all on here at some point in the future. Frankly there just isn't another car out there new or used that meets my needs and price range at the moment.

Andrew

1 - 17 of 17 Posts