Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2002 Insight has 116,000 miles and the IMS light is coming on and the new 12v battery will not hold a charge more than a few hours of driving.The car has been driven less than 2k miles mostly sitting since 2017 when it was slightly rear ended and the fuel pump had to be replaced. The car worked well for a few weeks after the fuel pump was replaced, but then the IMS light came on and the next week it shut off on the highway on my wife. I'll charge the 12v battery once a month and drive it around a few miles, but it has not been driven otherwise.

We love the car, but we have no need for it at the moment - would like to sell. As of right now, the IMS battery will charge to near full when you leave the car idling with high RPMS. The car drives perfectly when the 12v battery is charged, so what is the best course of action for getting highest resale value?

Below are the different options I'm aware of going from best to worse (please correct)

Fix IMS with Grid Charger: Is an eBay Grid Charger the best place to start to see if this helps the IMS? Is this a long term fix? Estimated resale value ~$1500-2200? $156 investment (What are other good grid chargers)

Sell As Is: $500-1000? - No investment

Part out: $1000-1500? - Lots of time

Buy replacement Battery: Bumblebee Refurbished battery runs $1300 with shipping. Estimated resale value with warranty ~$1500-2500? Invesment a few hours of time and $1300.

Disable IMS: The car has a factory replaced battery from about 6-7 years ago. Not even sure if this is a viable option.

If there is any other information I can give that would be helpful, please let me know.

·
7,090 Posts
A grid charger is not a long term fix for a battery that is already throwing error codes. Grid charging should be seen as preventative maintenance. That said, it would likely get you another year or two of use before the IMA light will illuminate permanently. At that point, the battery would have to be replaced. When/if the battery is replaced, the grid charger would then be used to help keep the new battery healthy.

Our rebuilt batteries actually start at $1095 with a 1 year warranty, extendable to 2 years via the website for $1295. If you call in your order, you can extend it to 3 years for $1395.

Don't part it out. :( Shouldn't even be considered an option for otherwise fine specimens, IMO.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Post pictures and sell it..low miles someone will buy and do the charger fix which mite help or not...is it a rebuilt title or clean title..
It is a clean title. The car looks practically brand new and drives like it too. The "rear end" accident was a minor bump, no visible damage to bumper, but it was enough to break/offset the plastic tabs on the fuel pump inside the tank.

I'll post photos and try to sell it as is. It would be easy enough to do the battery swap and keep this car running for a long time to come.

·
7,090 Posts
It's true, it doesn't take much of a bump to make the fuel pump go crooked.

I'll offer you special pricing on a rare 5 year warranty rebuilt battery, if that helps at all. :) The cars are in a tough spot right now. I fully suspect that in another few years, their value will start going up. I can imagine that so many are going to the scrapper at the moment....

·
Registered
526 Posts
Just because these are fun cars keep it. When you add up purchase price plus repairs you are still getting away cheap. Factor in what you save on gas. Then add the fun of driving it. I am sure happy I bought mine and love driving it every time I get in it and go. I took mine to Scott for a going over and a blessing. It cost some good money but the car left Scott's hands in tip-top shape. I have driven it to the east coast and back and on some good trips plus locally. Saturday it was 200 miles to Portland and back. That cost me 3.5 to 4 gallons of gas. And I had a lot of fun driving it. You get a lot of bang for your buck with these cars. And Eli is probably right, the value of these will start to go up.

In two years of driving it what I have is miles of smiles.

·
Registered
3 Posts
A grid charger is not a long term fix for a battery that is already throwing error codes. Grid charging should be seen as preventative maintenance. That said, it would likely get you another year or two of use before the IMA light will illuminate permanently. At that point, the battery would have to be replaced. When/if the battery is replaced, the grid charger would then be used to help keep the new battery healthy.

Our rebuilt batteries actually start at $1095 with a 1 year warranty, extendable to 2 years via the website for $1295. If you call in your order, you can extend it to 3 years for $1395.

Don't part it out. :( Shouldn't even be considered an option for otherwise fine specimens, IMO.
Do you reinstall charging harness when you replace with Bumblebee?

·
7,090 Posts
Sure. Unless told to leave it off....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts