Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello there. First time on Insight Central and looking forward to receiving and providing feedback.

Right off the bat: my Insight is a 2002 with almost 104,000 miles. Time for new spark plugs. I went to HondaPartsNow.com and inquired about their spark plugs listed for my 2002.

Here's the reply I got: "Each spark plug will need to be removed from the cylinder head to determine which are needed. They are stamped A, B, C or D. Only then will we be able to order them, ie the correct ones. A varying amount of said plugs could be needed, ie 2 of A, 1 of C, 1 of D or 1 of each."

Well, this my first time changing plugs on myInsight, but the millionth time I've changed plugs on my previous cars, which go back to 1969. I've never heard of plugs for a single engine being "coded" this way.

Can someone explain this spark plug arrangement. Is their an alternative choice with all plugs being the same?

Thanks in advance.

- Steve

·
Registered
84 Posts
Plugs are indexed from the factory.

Remove coil pack, look at teh flat spot next to it for a letter. All the cylinders should be the same.

Be prepared, they are ~$20 each...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Plugs are indexed from the factory.

Remove coil pack, look at teh flat spot next to it for a letter. All the cylinders should be the same. Be prepared, they are ~$20 each...
Thanks, but I'm not exactly following you. What is the "coil pack?" And what do you mean when you say "all the cylinders should be the same?" Same in what way?

Sorry to sound like an ignoramus (I'm not really), but I've never gone into my Insight's engine before. I've only assumed that the spark plug chambers are easily accessible. So, whatever detail you can provide is appreciated.

- Steve

·
Premium Member
Southern California
784 Posts
The Insight uses special indexed spark plugs which, when torqued to spec, point the spark gap in a certain direction for best fuel burn/efficiency. Nothing bad will happen if you don't get the right index of plugs, but you might lose a little MPG. Like whitrzac said, the spark plug index is stamped on the engine. I believe the most common plug is B.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Thanks, but I'm not exactly following you. What is the "coil pack?"
Insight uses COP (Coil On Plug) where each plug wire has a coil pack built into it.

If you remove the plug wire/coil pack, you'll see a A, B, C, or D marked on the cylinder head next to the plug hole.

·
Hypermiler
3,650 Posts
Steve G.

Welcome to the forum.

Spark plugs available at majestic honda. This link shows a print with coils and plugs.

Consider updating your profile with your general location, there might be an Insight owner near you willing to lend some local advice.

Keep an eye on the "socials" forum for meet ups of Insight owners. These are great opportunities to meet with other owners and share experiences.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you everyone.

Very glad I joined the crowd at Insightcentral.com. I now understand the spark plug arrangement and now know what a coil pack is! Last car I owned had the traditional distributor setup.

Can someone please provide me with the plug torque and gap specs? I bought some Champions to use until the coded plugs arrive. Don't have a repair manual, either. Ordered one, but it won't be here til late next week.

Thanks again. I'll be upgrading my profile soon.

- Steve

·
Registered
857 Posts

·
Hypermiler
3,650 Posts
Very glad I joined the crowd at Insightcentral.com. I now understand the spark plug arrangement and now know what a coil pack is! Last car I owned had the traditional distributor setup.

Can someone please provide me with the plug torque and gap specs? I bought some Champions to use until the coded plugs arrive. Don't have a repair manual, either. Ordered one, but it won't be here til late next week.

Thanks again. I'll be upgrading my profile soon.

- Steve
Refer to a manual to be certain on torque (I can't remember correct value); plugs come "pre-gapped" with no need to adjust (iridium tips, easily damaged by gapping incorrectly).

FYI: keep track of which cylinder each coil is removed from and place the same coil back onto that cylinder.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts