Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here's a CVT that is an original owner car in TX that needs a DC-DC converter.
Honda Insight Hatchback 3 Door | eBay
Scott replaced mine while he was here and if you can replace an IMA you can replace a DC converter. Should be able to get a used one for a few hundred bucks. Sells to the highest bidder. If I was nearby, I'd be interested.
Gerald
EDIT:It was at $1600 when this was posted.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I have a used converter on my parts car that would fit right on there and he is only 4 hrs south of me.

·
Premium Member
211 Posts
i bet the DC converter can be repaired too with not too much hassle. not $2k worth in any case. usually it is a bad cap. these parts are not gonna be honda specific and may be manufactured outside honda with stock parts and ICs.

·
Registered
234 Posts
The seller of this car was willing to take $1000 for it. What a pleasant surprise he got when it sold via bidding to $3050!

·
Premium Member
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice to see these cars retaining their values. That was a good retail deal for both buyer and seller.
Gerald

·
Premium Member
211 Posts
very good price considering how he had listed it for parts only. wish the buyer would come on here and ask about fixing the DC converter so we could start a thread on how to fix them.

they cannot be too hard to fix. for a few bucks.

·
Premium Member
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Scott replaced mine and its just like a R&R of an IMA battery. Just unplug a bunch of wires and a few bolts and replace it with a new unit. The only problem that took him any time at all was hooking up the large circular area shown in this pic marked "heat sink".
InsightCentral.net - Encyclopedia - Honda Insight DC-DC Converter
That appx 6" circular area connects to a large black rubber 6" "tubing" that has an elastic spring that holds this tubing in place over the hole. That was the only tricky part as access to that area was limited. Other than that just like replacing your IMA battery.
Gerald

·
Premium Member
211 Posts
Scott replaced mine and its just like a R&R of an IMA battery. Just unplug a bunch of wires and a few bolts and replace it with a new unit. The only problem that took him any time at all was hooking up the large circular area shown in this pic marked "heat sink".
InsightCentral.net - Encyclopedia - Honda Insight DC-DC Converter
That appx 6" circular area connects to a large black rubber 6" "tubing" that has an elastic spring that holds this tubing in place over the hole. That was the only tricky part as access to that area was limited. Other than that just like replacing your IMA battery.
Gerald
what fun is that if you cannot repair it? fixing the electronics is just as much fun as adjusting gear lash on a trannie, or even more interesting imo.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Surely whoever bought that has every intention of repairing it for cheap and either flipping it or keeping it.

Nice score for whoever got it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts