Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 CVT w/ 50,000 miles. Transmission oil changed @ 30,000 mies(honda's )
Problem: Only when transmission is cold --

After a stop w/ brake applied, when ya take your foot off the brake, there is a lag time as to when cvt "engages" (maybe 2-4 seconds). This is without touching the gas pedal. If you touch the gas pedal within this lag time, you get an abrupt engagement into "gear".

My drive to work is about 1 hr. after several stops & 15-20 minutes this abnormality goes away.

Has anyone had this problem? Maybe I need to buy some extra oil & double flush the cvt at next change.

I've got the service manual & will see if ther's any info there. Possible relay or solenoid issue?

Thanks.

Bill Pitman : [email protected] ; 570-296-7892

·
Registered
95 Posts
If this is something new, then it could be fluid contamination, but there are a few basics to check first.

1) Have you checked the fluid level per Honda's recommendation? That is, check the level with a fully warmed up powertrain at least 60, and no more than 90 seconds after shutting off the engine. The fluid level should be exactly halfway between the upper two marks on the dipstick. (FWIW, at the 30k maintenance my dealer under-filled the trans by over 1/2 qt.) Naturally, if it's low, check for leaks and repair if necessary.

2) Are you sure they used the right oil in your CVT? Since '05 Honda recommends their dedicated CVT oil in place of the stuff listed in the owners manuals for earlier years CVT transmissions (I've forgotten the part number, sorry). Of course, if they used Dexron III then all kinds of trans performance issues are supposed to happen. Getting this stuff out means "the big flush", changing the fluid five or six times in succession, which takes something like 12-15 qts of fluid...at $6.50 a qt...OUCH!

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Just had this same issue with another vehicle. Turns out the trans fluid was not full.

Check your fluid cold and then when it is warmed up. It should reach the cold and hot marks on the dip stick. I'll bet your dealership goons didn't properly fill it.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Interesting! So I take it that this means that all 00-06 CVT Insights should use the newer ATF and that the older models (pre 85) should upgrade to the newer fluid? What was the reason for the switch?? Problems with slippage in the CVT?....or is Honda perhaps keeping the reason for the switch an "inside secret". ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts