Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks,

This is my first posting here, thought I would share my experience about keeping my 2003 hybrid civic alive over the long haul. Its been a great car and saved me over $3000 in fuel since I purchased it in 2009 to replace my Corolla. I have put just over 100,000 miles on it in the last 4 years, now it has 265,000 miles and still gets 45 mpg on average.

Repairs include:

Big battery cooling fan

Both front wheel and center support bearings

Both lower ball joints and sway bar links

Front brake pads

Just finished:

Waterpump

Head Gasket

AC compressor

Engine ground wires

My goal is to make it to 300,000 miles.

Best...

·
Administrator
11,739 Posts
Welcome.

To keep it running and manage the battery in the long term you should consider

1) Grid charger
2) IMA Manual control
3) OBD Display device

Several people on here have these sort of things fitted with good results.

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,669 Posts
Please include your location in your PROFILE.
Thank You.

WELCOME TO THE "DEVOTED FAMILY".
Willie

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have around 135k miles and I am looking to make it to 300,000 as well. I am on my second new ima battery replacement and I would rather do maintenance than pay for a new car. Any advice for best thing to keep the car happy should be? Head gasket, etc?

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
I'm at about the same place on my 2004.

On a long-haul car, make sure all your underbody plastics are in good shape and present. I don't just mean the aero panels... the plastic under the wheel wells seems particularly important to prevent rust out.

If you have a manual, don't forget you should have changed the fluid in it by now. A lot of people just fail to change the fluid in a mt, and Honda's ISBs are a weak point.

A grid charger to balance your battery monthly will extend its life. Likewise, using the ac in the summer is important on the hch1 because it sucks battery "cooling" air from the sun baked area above the rear seats. Heat is the battery life killer. I also always try to park my car so the front windshield faces the sun (and put one of those reflective sun blockers in it).

Obviously oil changes when the maintenance light comes on... use full synthetic.

Check your engine minutes too. The hybrid model is harder than the gasser on the mounts because it spend more time at lower rpms. Bad mounts will cause a whole cascade of other long-term expensive problems with the exhaust system and various other engine and drive line parts.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
I'm at about the same place on my 2004.

On a long-haul car, make sure all your underbody plastics are in good shape and present. I don't just mean the aero panels... the plastic under the wheel wells seems particularly important to prevent rust out.

If you have a manual, don't forget you should have changed the fluid in it by now. A lot of people just fail to change the fluid in a mt, and Honda's ISBs are a weak point.

A grid charger to balance your battery monthly will extend its life. Likewise, using the ac in the summer is important on the hch1 because it sucks battery "cooling" air from the sun baked area above the rear seats. Heat is the battery life killer. I also always try to park my car so the front windshield faces the sun (and put one of those reflective sun blockers in it).

Obviously oil changes when the maintenance light comes on... use full synthetic.

Check your engine mounts too. The hybrid model is harder on the mounts than the gasser because it spends more time at lower rpms. Bad mounts will cause a whole cascade of other long-term expensive problems with the exhaust system and various other engine and drive line parts.

Sam

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

1 - 6 of 6 Posts