Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
La Jolla, California

As I've mentioned several times before, I'm of an age when we never had computers in grade school, middle school, high school or college. To say I am "computer challenged" would be a gross understatement.

I am very close to finalizing the purchase of a 2003 Honda Insight CVT. I don't need any advice about this car because I've already sent the seller my check. At this time, I don't know when the car will be shipped to me but my post has nothing to do with the car I will be receiving sometime this month.

I am trying to reach a gentleman whose first name is Willie. He lives in Campo, California but I have absolutely no idea about his user name. I have never owned a Honda Insight and I don't know anyone in the greater San Diego, California area, with the exception of "Willie," who I understand lives in Campo, California and has attended most of the insightfests.

I need some help from another insightcentral.net member who would be willing to spend approximately 30 minutes with me on the telephone to teach me how to navigate the insightcentral.net website.

On Friday, 5 FEB, I received my second Covid-19 Moderna inoculation, so whoever decides to contact me by phone is in no danger of contracting anything from me. On one of my previous posts, I was chastised, AKA given hell, for providing both of my phone numbers. This time, I've decided to sign off with my first name and email address.

I would be most appreciative if someone would send me an email and when I respond, we can arrange a time to have a phone conversation. Your cooperation has been most appreciated. Great thanks for everything.

All the very best,
Howard
email: [email protected]

·
Registered
Japanese 05 CVT
131 Posts
On one of my previous posts, I was chastised, AKA given hell, for providing both of my phone numbers. This time, I've decided to sign off with my first name and email address.
You do need to remember that this is the internet and, if you post personal contact details on the open forum pages, you won't just get contacted by InsightCentral members. You'll get your details farmed by spammers and bots. You'll start to get random phone calls "Hi, is that H*****? I heard you were in a traffic collision / legal thing / divorce recently... would you like to buy this... we can see your computer has a virus... is this your email address... can you just confirm your password..." or junk emails with the same intention with your actual details in them. I'd recommend only supplying that information via pm where it will only get seen by the person you sent it to.

The problem is the more details you post around the internet, the more it gets farmed and squirrelled away somewhere and pieced together like a jigsaw, until eventually there's a list of your name, address, email address, phone number, date of birth, bank details, and the list goes on.

Example: From the 5 posts you have made on here, we know your first name, middle initial and surname, email address, landline and cell number, and which neighbourhood you live in. We also know a couple of interests you have. You should be careful posting this information publicly - I'd recommend going back and editing it out.

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
11,181 Posts
SO does that mean your name is Johnny and you were born in 1969

·
Registered
Japanese 05 CVT
131 Posts
No, luckily. But if you trawled the older internet I’m sure it wouldn’t be too hard to work out where the name and number originated. But I don’t really want to get openly doxed over this, I was only trying to help the fella.

·
Registered
3,369 Posts
You do need to remember that this is the internet and, if you post personal contact details on the open forum pages, you won't just get contacted by InsightCentral members. You'll get your details farmed by spammers and bots. You'll start to get random phone calls "Hi, is that H*****? I heard you were in a traffic collision / legal thing / divorce recently... would you like to buy this... we can see your computer has a virus... is this your email address... can you just confirm your password..." or junk emails with the same intention with your actual details in them. I'd recommend only supplying that information via pm where it will only get seen by the person you sent it to.

The problem is the more details you post around the internet, the more it gets farmed and squirrelled away somewhere and pieced together like a jigsaw, until eventually there's a list of your name, address, email address, phone number, date of birth, bank details, and the list goes on.

Example: From the 5 posts you have made on here, we know your first name, middle initial and surname, email address, landline and cell number, and which neighbourhood you live in. We also know a couple of interests you have. You should be careful posting this information publicly - I'd recommend going back and editing it out.
So much paranoia these days it seems. Is this why some folks cover up their license plate when selling a car online, even though thousands of people see it in person every day?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts