Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Insight sales statistics in the Insight.net knowledge database end in December 2002. Does anyone know the 2003 unit sales numbers??
_______
Bill

G

·
0 Posts
Hi William:

___Not that this is correct but according to message # 13538 in the Honda-Hybrid Yahoo group, an individual by the name of Dan Smith said the following: “Optimistic yearly hybrid sales of 36,000 Prius + 24,000 Civic Hybrids + 1,000 Insights = 61,000 hybrids sold / 15,000,000 passenger vehicles sold in the US = .4066% of vehicles sold in the US are hybrids.”

___If this is factual, maybe 1,000 03 Insight’s have been purchased/delivered to America’s shores. I am sure someone here has a much more accurate count from an actual Honda site somewhere in which to compare but 1,000 sounds about right?

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___[email:3vf3z5ei][email protected][/email:3vf3z5ei]

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
I think if you look hard enough on Honda's web site, specifically in the press sections, you can find sales statistics. I'm sure they'll post end of the year sales numbers early January when they finally tally it all up. Last I read it seems like 1000 may be a bit high actually.

·
Registered
652 Posts
I havn't seen any year end sales (year is not over) but from 1 Jan to 30 Nov 2003, 1124 Insights had been sold compared to 2076 Insights for 1 Jan to 30 Nov 2002 which was down from 2001 and 2000. Clearly the HCH and Prius have helped dilute Insight sales.
I think the really positive factor is that with the new 04 Prius sales are expanding outside of what has been the hybrid market. Consider that Toyota planned on 20K units to be sold in the US which was on par with previous Civic/Prius sales. After a hot preorder phase (10K units sold before they had their official delivery date in the US, thats more sales than Insights racked up in 3+ years) they raised the production to 36K and in early Dec they announced that they would raise imports to 42K. Clearly the movement to a 4DR hatchback Midsize car has dramatically improved sales. The options list with items such as smart entry and DVD nav have probably helped as well and named car of the year doesn't hurt either. (It was enough to convince my wife to switch to a Hybrid). I expect that the Honda/Toyota rivalry will soon have Honda bringing out a new Hybrid. Have fun, Rick

·
Premium Member
1,658 Posts
IMAS! IMAS! IMAS!

G

·
0 Posts
45 In a month is not that bad.

There have only been 205 sold in the UK since the launch of the car.

G

·
0 Posts
Hi Mark:

___I can bet there are more Ferrari’s in the UK then Insight’s! Talk about being unique.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___[email:3sugaoii][email protected][/email:3sugaoii]

·
Registered
76 Posts
Insight sales by calendar year as reported in Honda's PR reports at the end of each year:

1999: 17 (?)
2000: 3788
2001: 4726
2002: 2216
2003: 1168

EDIT: I should mention this is for USA only.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
These numbers are actually higher than I thought they would be.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Are Insight sales really that low? I have known for some time that the Insight was never doing extremely well, bu tit was always under FIVE THOUSAND?? I almost feel bad, because it's a nice car in terms of fuel economy. I really just didn't realize it was doing so terribly.

I'll look for Honda's answer to the Prius. :)

·
Registered
348 Posts
The numbers don't bother me.
I just feel honoured that I'm one of those lucky few and that Honda made it possible.

Thanks Honda :wink:

G

·
0 Posts
Hi Greenhybrid:

___Yes, that comes out to ~ 100 Honda Insight’s per state … In other words, one of the most unique and performance oriented $50,000 2 door coupes you can buy for $10K or less in pristine condition :D

___Do you know anything else that has a speed limited 113 mph top end, can do 0 - 60 in ~ 10 seconds, and is capable of receiving > 100 mpg for that price? Our Insight’s are an absolute steal in comparison to anything else on the road.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___[email:3iprctrz][email protected][/email:3iprctrz]

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
I'm with Xcel 100 percent on that.

About the time the first generation Prius start to rust out, people will be kicking themselves for not figuring that out and buying one.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts