Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2004 CVT in good condition, missing one skirt panel, 225k miles. Needs breaks. used to drive it to work, now I work from home and likely will for a very long time. My wife is tired of looking at it for the last 10 years and we have two other cars anyway. My question is what is this worth? Should I buy a battery and sell it? Maybe it is a good parts car? Take it to a junk yard (really do not want to do that, rather find it a good home)? Is there a website for selling fixer uppers / parts cars? It runs fine with the IMA breaker off in the hatch (I think the battery had been replaced when I got it).

·
Registered
2006 5MT Insight w/ warm air intake, grid charger and more!
139 Posts
I have a 2004 CVT in good condition, missing one skirt panel, 225k miles. Needs breaks. used to drive it to work, now I work from home and likely will for a very long time. My wife is tired of looking at it for the last 10 years and we have two other cars anyway. My question is what is this worth? Should I buy a battery and sell it? Maybe it is a good parts car? Take it to a junk yard (really do not want to do that, rather find it a good home)? Is there a website for selling fixer uppers / parts cars? It runs fine with the IMA breaker off in the hatch (I think the battery had been replaced when I got it).
I’m sure someone would be willing to buy it as a parts car/fixer upper, theres a for sale section on these forums or you could also list it on FB marketplace!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,053 Posts
It's impossible to say for sure what's the right thing to do, too many unknown and unknowable details, about the car and about your personal situation. It's probably not worth buying a replacement pack and selling, those can be pretty expensive and then hard to recoup in the sale price. Based on your brief description, my hit is that you could probably get a solid $1000 as-is (just clean it up first), and that that's probably the best thing to do. Post on craigslist for about $1500.

If this were a near-perfect 225k mile car, the max sale price would probably be around ... $3800.

So, between what you've got - at $1000, and that at $3800 - what could be done to it to bring it closer to that near-perfect $3800 car yet costs less in $, effort and time than the difference, $2800?

I think the answer is probably not too much. If you grid charged the pack you could probably get it to act normal for some time and sell it with a seemingly working pack. That might lift the price to ~$2000. But that also takes some leg work, and it's probably on the slightly shady side of things...

If the body and interior are in excellent shape, but just neglected, you could do a thorough detail - and lift the price to maybe $2500-$2900. But that requires 'good bones' underneath it all. You can't polish a turd...

New brakes are an easy and not-very-expensive fix. I personally would replace the brakes (discs, shoes and pads, maybe rotors) and not have to take a hit in the sale price from that. Spend $100 and an afternoon, avoid a few hundred dollar hit to the sale price...

Etc etc...

·
Engine-Off-Coast
1,886 Posts
@eq1 is on the money, but I think if you post some photos of it, inside and out, we can give more precise advice.

Taking it to the scrap yard would be a financial mistake, as that's the way to ensure you get the lowest dollar amount possible from the car, short of signing the title and handing it to someone else.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts