Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
WhatsApp Image 2020-09-07 at 1.24.34 PM.jpeg

Hey everyone! I’m here to sell my much beloved 2004 Honda Insight aka “Izzy.” I bought this car used about five years ago, when it had about 67,000 miles on it and a faulty IMA battery. Nevertheless, I drove out to Chicago, bought it, and drove it back to Iowa. It had been sitting for a little while since it was in a minor accident that totaled it out, but a replacement door and bumper were swapped on and it’s registered with a rebuilt title.

TLDR:
  • Asking Price: $3,500 $3,000 $2,500 OBO
  • Year: 2004
  • Color: Silverstone Metallic (Silver)
  • Transmission: CVT/Automatic
  • Current Mileage: 119,050
  • High Voltage Battery Age/Condition: Replaced with Bumblebee Battery in March 2016 (Approximately 4 and a half years old, so about 6 months of the extended 5 year warranty is left)
  • Transmission Condition: Excellent
  • Engine or IMA Codes Showing: None
  • Interior Condition Summary: Decent, some coffee stains
  • Exterior Condition Summary: Decent, some repainting has been done, some scratches and paint scuffs but nothing serious (and no rust- yay aluminum!)
And if you're interested in the whole story, please read below:
Since owning this car I have:

Around 70,000 miles:
  • Painted the rims (I’ll admit it’s not great, but it looks better than the old paint that was chipping off of it)
  • Replaced all four tires to match
  • Changed oil (been running Mobil1 synthetic and changing it every 10,000 miles/1year)
  • Changed transmission fluid and filters (and cleaned the magnets)
  • Replaced the hybrid battery with a Bumblebee Battery
  • Upgraded the stereo by installing Kicker component speakers in the front doors, kicker woofers for the rear speakers, a Sony head unit, and a 50 watts RMS Alpine “Power Pack” amp
  • Installed sound deadening in the doors and rear cargo area
  • Replaced air filter
  • Replaced cabin air filter
Around 80,000 miles:
  • Took to a Honda dealer because the brake fluid was leaking, turned out that the previous owner tried to bleed the brakes improperly and damaged the rear brake cylinders. Approximately $400 later, both rear brake cylinders were replaced
  • New windshield wipers
  • New headlight bulbs
  • Drained and filled coolant
  • Replaced coolant hoses
  • Oil change
  • Rotate tires
Around 90,000 miles:
  • Installed Rostra cruise control (awesome to have on long trips)
  • Crankshaft position sensor replaced
  • Upgraded the horn to a twin horn setup (had to give the car a fighting chance against all the lifted pickups in Iowa)
  • Rotate tires
  • Story time: Driving home from North Carolina in January, and the combination of extreme cold (-20 degrees) and road salt caused the water pump pulley to seize and the timing belt to pop off, causing it to overheat (or get close, I noticed it getting hot and pulled over before it damaged it). Got it to a shop and they replaced the timing belt and pulleys
Around 100,000 miles:
  • Installed OEM Honda front strakes and Scott’s front underbody panel
  • Drained and filled the coolant again (the shop I took the car to when the timing belt popped off didn’t have Honda coolant, so I wanted to replace it with the right stuff so it wouldn’t corrode anything)
  • Cleaned EGR gasket
  • Oil change
  • Tire rotation
  • Changed spark plugs (matched with the correct letters)
  • Replaced transmission fluid and filters (and cleaned magnets)
  • Another story time: My grandpa backed his truck into the back of the car, the main dent popped out but there was still some paint damage. I found some factory matching paint and did my best to fix the area, but there’s still some overspray by the license plate. I also repainted the mirrors at this time since the backs of them were faded. The rear trim piece under the back of the car was also replaced with a OEM Honda part.
  • New brake pads and rotors
Around 110,000 miles:
  • A/C was leaking, turns out the corrosion made it impossible to replace the leaky pipe without also replacing the evaporator and I think condenser, but $600 later the a/c has been working great ever since
  • Oil change
  • Tire rotation
  • Replaced air filter
To present day:
  • Wiper motor and linkage replaced, I gave the car to my boyfriend in Michigan and he turned on the wipers while they were frozen to the windshield and the motor gave out, but they work great now
  • Recently took it to a shop to do an inspection and they found the calipers weren't working properly and warped the brake pads and rotors, so they brake pads, rotors, and brake fluid was replaced, along with the calipers being fixed.
  • The shop found other items of concern for things that may need replacement in the future, such as tires, the 12v battery, and the radiator. I've included the receipt with the work I've recently paid for, and would do the rest of the work myself but I've already moved and my friend is handling the final handover of the car.
To summarize, I bought the car in Chicago, brought it back to Iowa, then brought it with me to Albuquerque in June 2019, then drove it up to Michigan to give to my boyfriend in November. Since then it’s been with him, but now we’re moving together to a new city where parking is expensive, and it makes more sense to just keep my current car (a 2017 Chevy Volt) versus the Insight. So, that means the Insight has come full circle and is back in Chicago at a friend’s place to sell before we move in October. It’s an amazing car and the fuel economy was a welcome change over my 1999 Jeep Cherokee, but unfortunately it’s just not practical to keep when parking is $150 a month and public transit is available.

The majority of the work done on this car was done by me, which is why service records are limited, but I’m happy to answer any and all questions about the car. Currently asking $3,500 $2,500 OBO, thanks for looking!

Please click on the link to access all 50+ pictures on Google Drive:
Honda_Insight_Pics - Google Drive

WhatsApp Image 2020-09-07 at 1.24.25 PM.jpeg WhatsApp Image 2020-09-07 at 1.24.28 PM.jpeg WhatsApp Image 2020-09-07 at 1.24.29 PM.jpeg WhatsApp Image 2020-09-07 at 1.41.57 PM.jpeg WhatsApp Image 2020-09-07 at 1.25.03 PM (1).jpeg WhatsApp Image 2020-09-07 at 1.24.59 PM.jpeg WhatsApp Image 2020-09-07 at 1.25.29 PM.jpeg WhatsApp Image 2020-09-07 at 1.24.34 PM.jpeg WhatsApp Image 2020-09-07 at 1.24.25 PM.jpeg WhatsApp Image 2020-09-07 at 1.24.29 PM.jpeg WhatsApp Image 2020-09-07 at 1.24.28 PM.jpeg WhatsApp Image 2020-09-07 at 1.41.57 PM.jpeg WhatsApp Image 2020-09-07 at 1.24.59 PM.jpeg WhatsApp Image 2020-09-07 at 1.25.29 PM.jpeg WhatsApp Image 2020-09-07 at 1.25.03 PM (1).jpeg Honda_Repair_1013.jpg

·
Super Moderator
8,682 Posts
While the exhaustive history is interesting and the pictures do provide SOME information about the current condition of the car, the ad fails in several ways to meet the minimum required information to post a car sale ad on Insight Central.

Please refer to the buy/sell rules here:

and edit the ad to provide the critical information needed by a prospective buyer. It just saves time and needless questioning by prospective buyers :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
While the exhaustive history is interesting and the pictures do provide SOME information about the current condition of the car, the ad fails in several ways to meet the minimum required information to post a car sale ad on Insight Central.

Please refer to the buy/sell rules here:

and edit the ad to provide the critical information needed by a prospective buyer. It just saves time and needless questioning by prospective buyers :)
Sorry about that, ad has been updated and there are lots more pictures in the Google drive link. If external links aren't allowed please let me know and I can include most of them in the ad itself, thanks!

-Quincy

·
Super Moderator
8,682 Posts
The google drive link does work to add those pictures. I notice it has cruise control. Thank you:)

·
Registered
1 Posts
View attachment 87457

Hey everyone! I’m here to sell my much beloved 2004 Honda Insight aka “Izzy.” I bought this car used about five years ago, when it had about 67,000 miles on it and a faulty IMA battery. Nevertheless, I drove out to Chicago, bought it, and drove it back to Iowa. It had been sitting for a little while since it was in a minor accident that totaled it out, but a replacement door and bumper were swapped on and it’s registered with a rebuilt title.

TLDR:
  • Asking Price: $3,500 $3,000
  • Year: 2004
  • Color: Silverstone Metallic (Silver)
  • Transmission: CVT/Automatic
  • Current Mileage: 119,020
  • High Voltage Battery Age/Condition: Replaced with Bumblebee Battery in March 2016 (Approximately 4 and a half years old, so about 6 months of the extended 5 year warranty is left)
  • Transmission Condition: Excellent
  • Engine or IMA Codes Showing: None
  • Interior Condition Summary: Decent, some coffee stains
  • Exterior Condition Summary: Decent, some repainting has been done, some scratches and paint scuffs but nothing serious (and no rust- yay aluminum!)
And if you're interested in the whole story, please read below:
Since owning this car I have:

Around 70,000 miles:
  • Painted the rims (I’ll admit it’s not great, but it looks better than the old paint that was chipping off of it)
  • Replaced all four tires to match
  • Changed oil (been running Mobil1 synthetic and changing it every 10,000 miles/1year)
  • Changed transmission fluid and filters (and cleaned the magnets)
  • Replaced the hybrid battery with a Bumblebee Battery
  • Upgraded the stereo by installing Kicker component speakers in the front doors, kicker woofers for the rear speakers, a Sony head unit, and a 50 watts RMS Alpine “Power Pack” amp
  • Installed sound deadening in the doors and rear cargo area
  • Replaced air filter
Around 80,000 miles:
  • Took to a Honda dealer because the brake fluid was leaking, turned out that the previous owner tried to bleed the brakes improperly and damaged the rear brake cylinders. Approximately $400 later, both rear brake cylinders were replaced
  • New windshield wipers
  • New headlight bulbs
  • Drained and filled coolant
  • Replaced coolant hoses
  • Oil change
  • Rotate tires
Around 90,000 miles:
  • Installed Rostra cruise control (awesome to have on long trips)
  • Crankshaft position sensor replaced
  • Upgraded the horn to a twin horn setup (had to give the car a fighting chance against all the lifted pickups in Iowa)
  • Rotate tires
  • Story time: Driving home from North Carolina in January, and the combination of extreme cold (-20 degrees) and road salt caused the water pump pulley to seize and the timing belt to pop off, causing it to overheat (or get close, I noticed it getting hot and pulled over before it damaged it). Got it to a shop and they replaced the timing belt and pulleys
Around 100,000 miles:
  • Installed OEM Honda front strakes and Scott’s front underbody panel
  • Drained and filled the coolant again (the shop I took the car to when the timing belt popped off didn’t have Honda coolant, so I wanted to replace it with the right stuff so it wouldn’t corrode anything)
  • Cleaned EGR gasket
  • Oil change
  • Tire rotation
  • Changed spark plugs (matched with the correct letters)
  • Replaced transmission fluid and filters (and cleaned magnets)
  • Another story time: My grandpa backed his truck into the back of the car, the main dent popped out but there was still some paint damage. I found some factory matching paint and did my best to fix the area, but there’s still some overspray by the license plate. I also repainted the mirrors at this time since the backs of them were faded. The rear trim piece under the back of the car was also replaced with a OEM Honda part.
  • New brake pads and rotors
Around 110,000 miles:
  • A/C was leaking, turns out the corrosion made it impossible to replace the leaky pipe without also replacing the evaporator and I think condenser, but $600 later the a/c has been working great ever since
  • Oil change
  • Tire rotation
  • Replaced air filter
To present day:
  • Wiper motor and linkage replaced, I gave the car to my boyfriend in Michigan and he turned on the wipers while they were frozen to the windshield and the motor gave out, but they work great now
To summarize, I bought the car in Chicago, brought it back to Iowa, then brought it with me to Albuquerque in June 2019, then drove it up to Michigan to give to my boyfriend in November. Since then it’s been with him, but now we’re moving together to a new city where parking is expensive, and it makes more sense to just keep my current car (a 2017 Chevy Volt) versus the Insight. So, that means the Insight has come full circle and is back in Chicago at a friend’s place to sell before we move in October. It’s an amazing car and the fuel economy was a welcome change over my 1999 Jeep Cherokee, but unfortunately it’s just not practical to keep when parking is $150 a month and public transit is available.

The majority of the work done on this car was done by me, which is why service records are limited, but I’m happy to answer any and all questions about the car. Currently asking $3,500 $3,000 OBO, thanks for looking!

Please click on the link to access all 50+ pictures on Google Drive:
Honda_Insight_Pics - Google Drive

View attachment 87458 View attachment 87460 View attachment 87459 View attachment 87461 View attachment 87464 View attachment 87462 View attachment 87463
Just updated with the lower asking price
Hello :) I'm interested

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
11,110 Posts
lzzy;
Include your Location in your Profile and send a message/communication to seller. That works the best.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Updated with lowered price of $2,500 and recent repair work along with inspection findings. The car is still safe and driveable, but there are a few items the shop warned me would need to be replaced in the near future. I already have three new OEM motor mounts for the car to install, but otherwise parts should be cheaper for DIY and from parted out Insights. Let me know if there are any questions I can answer, thanks!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts