Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just found out today for sure that my 2004 Insight was beyond repair and, thanks to my stingy insurance company, I can't afford another new one. I'm considering buying a used 2000 Insight, but was wondering if I would notice any significant difference between the cars. Other than the colors and the introduction of CVT, what other changes have been made since the 2000 model year? Thanks in advace for any responses.

·
Premium Member
1,658 Posts
That doesn't sound fair. Is your insurance deal all done and dusted?

A little known fact (at least on UK comprehensive insurance policies) is that you can insist on a "like for like" replacement if the insurance company writes off your vehicle, rather than have the money. They don't advertise this. Any chance on your policy?

·
Premium Member
1,658 Posts
P.S. In answer to your question :) , the only difference between the Insight model years is that Honda introduced beige interior cloth trim on the 2004 compared to the previous light grey. Others may think of more. HTH.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
According to a release I was shown at the dealership 03 and newer Insight's measure IMA charge directly where as the older ones measure it indirectly (whatever that means). The article kinda hinted that 03 and newer would not have recalibration's nearly as much if at all. Though this remains to be seen with time.

As far as the newer interior I personally think the 04 interior has a better touch of class once you get over the initial difference. To say the least it's more exciting than the grey.

The stock stereo in the 04 is a CD player instead of the older tape player we got also.

You might also notice slight changes with how the IMA system works if the 2000 you get didn't get the ECU update done.

·
Registered
243 Posts
It's pretty trival, but...

Starting in late MY2001 they replaced the (often failing) wide-band primary O2 sensor with a normal one.

Starting in MY2002 they added a 3rd O2 sensor after the 2nd cat. Supposedly these models have less frequent and shorter duration NOX purges.

·
Registered
303 Posts
musak...

It's my understanding that starting in 2004, four speakers were stock. Of course, that's double the number of lame-o paper speakers.

There is also a hole in the seat headrest ala Volkswagen.

At some point (after 2001?) water seemed to leak in the doors less often and the wheel skirt bolts no longer rusted.

Who is your insurance carrier? Mine (Amica) calculates the value by calling up three local dealerships, describing the car (minus the fact it was in an accident) and asking what they'd put in on the lot for, then calculating the average and calling that the car's value. Usually for Hondas and Toyotas, this yields a favorable result.

You may also want to try to negotiate with them, finding quotes for used Insights on http://www.dealernet.com and other places. All appearances to the contrary, an Insight is not a liftback Civic (in the early-80's sense) with a hybrid motor. It could be plain ignorance: no bicyclist would accept a "replacement value" of a Wal-mart bike for their totalled Record-equipped Colnago.

Sorry to hear of your Insight's passing. :(

·
Registered
344 Posts
bc said:
I just found out today for sure that my 2004 Insight was beyond repair and, thanks to my stingy insurance company,
If a truck hit you and spun you into the guard rail, isn't the truck's insurance going to pay for your damage??? If so, your insurance agent SHOULD work/fight for your satisfaction.
Front line adjusters are supposed to SAVE the company money. You can negotiate.
Kelly Blue Book lists the retail at about $17000 with 15000 miles.

Good Luck!!!

·
Registered
14 Posts
I think it might be time to talk to your friendly neighborhood attorney. I had problems years ago after a car accident, and they amazingly got straightened out within two days after a phone call from my attorney. If you are friends with one, even better. He or she may make the call for a beer rather than the ridiculous rates they usually get.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the advice. I decided to go with a new Insight and hope that the threat of a fight gets my insurance company to be a little more generous. The police accident report hasn't been released yet, but once they see that it was completely the truck drivers fault, they wouldn't have any reason to be as stingy with the money.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts