Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought this car a month ago in central Florida and drove it home to Jacksonville, FL. and had no issues. After a couple of weeks I noticed the IMA gauge was no longer adding bars but falling and then my battery charging light came on. I had it checked out and was told my battery wasn't getting a charge. I believe it's the DC-DC converter and the cheapest one I found was $1399, not including installation. That's too much for me. I can drive the car for a couple of days, then charge the battery and drive it again. Don't feel like doing that forever, so I'm selling it to someone who knows how to test and fix this issue or is willing to pay a mechanic to do it. Hard to find one to do this work and my local honda dealer is too expensive for me. I was told the original IMA battery was replaced around 125,000 miles. I wish I knew more about electronics and I would try and figure it out myself.

·
Registered
818 Posts
I'm not sure it's the DC-DC converter. If your IMA battery isn't getting charged at all; then, once it's low enough (or not connected in case of its fuse being blown), it will no longer operate the DC-DC converter. There's probably some other reason the IMA battery isn't getting charged.

If you want to figure it out yourself, the first step is to get the error codes. If you really want to sell it and can't find anyone closer to buy it, talk to me. Is it manual or CVT?

Also, you may be able to get the IMA system to charge the 12V for a while by grid charging the IMA battery and/or resetting the the trouble codes (disconnecting the 12V will reset the codes). How long it will work for depends on what the actual problem is along with driving habits, etc.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have several error codes. P0135 ( 02 heater circuit bank1,sensor1) P1568 (battery module individual voltage input problem, temp signal, battery circuit problem) and P1449(battery module overheating). This seems like allot.

·
Registered
818 Posts
You should really check/replace your ground straps before repairing/replacing anything else. It's cheap to do and can relate to some or all of your codes. There's also a real possibility that your IMA battery is failing. If it was replaced by Honda at 122k miles, but that was a few years ago, it could be failing again. Assuming you don't want to replace it for $2k, you'll want to build/buy a cheap grid charger. As an alternative, you can bypass the use of the IMA battery to keep the 12V charged. (assuming your DC-DC converter does work and the IMA motor is capable of providing power to it).

If the P0135 comes back with good ground cables, then you could have an issue with your primary O2 sensor or the wiring to it, but this wouldn't be related to the problem of your 12V battery not getting charged.

·
Hypermiler
3,650 Posts
The 1449 may be the cause of the 12v being drained. Additional symptoms are no ima charge/assist, and eventually not charging the 12v.

Ima bypass is an option, and will allow the motor/generator, via the dc/dc, to charge the 12v. Jeff's (hybridautomotive) procedure is here. Some folk have driven gas only for years.

The 1449 has 4 subcodes. Blink coding it will reveal the subcode. AbCaRed00 put this spreadsheet up for code interpretation. Mike D shows how to blink code on his site.

You can base your decisions from there and perhaps fix your G1 up for much less than expected. Could be as simple as a grid charger install.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I bought this car a month ago in central Florida and drove it home to Jacksonville, FL. and had no issues. After a couple of weeks I noticed the IMA gauge was no longer adding bars but falling and then my battery charging light came on. I had it checked out and was told my battery wasn't getting a charge. I believe it's the DC-DC converter and the cheapest one I found was $1399, not including installation. That's too much for me. I can drive the car for a couple of days, then charge the battery and drive it again. Don't feel like doing that forever, so I'm selling it to someone who knows how to test and fix this issue or is willing to pay a mechanic to do it. Hard to find one to do this work and my local honda dealer is too expensive for me. I was told the original IMA battery was replaced around 125,000 miles. I wish I knew more about electronics and I would try and figure it out myself.
I am 100 mi west of Jacksonville and would be interested in purchasing it.
[email protected]

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hello,

You could have a 12v battery with a bad cell or two. If the battery won't charge property the computer will shut down the DC to DC converter. That happened to me last Month. I got a 51-1 battery at walmart for $105.00 and all is well. I have a PP OBDII gauge pluged into the port all the time. I can tell when the hybrid battery is too low. If the hybrid battery is too low the DC to DC converter will also shut down. If you really need the converter you can get it here.
Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hello again,

Here is a test that will find your problem. Disconnect the neg 12v battery terminal for 10 secs, reconnect and start the car. Take your voltmeter and measure the Batt voltage. If the DC to DC converter is working you should see 13.5-14 v. The IMA indicator in the car must indicate green bars charging IMA battery because you put the computer in recalibrate mode.

My car has 193,000 miles and had a 12 v battery to fail this Winter with similar problems. The Walmart 51-1 battery has 5 yrs warranty although cost $105.00.
Good luck. Your savings at the pump sometimes costs in special problems not found in other cars.

·
Registered
1 Posts
battery not charging

About 2 mouths ago my 12v battery would not hold a good charge, it was 5 years old so i got a new one. but it would not hold a charge either, then my ck engine light and ima came on with a p1449 code. At first I thought it was the ima battery going bad, But I read on your forum about ground straps. I put 2 new ones on, and reset the lights by removing the ground on the battery last. Everything is working fine now. I first thought I would have to replace the IMA battery. so I would like to thank the person that talked about the ground straps. It fixed all my charging issues.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
I bought this car a month ago in central Florida and drove it home to Jacksonville, FL. and had no issues. After a couple of weeks I noticed the IMA gauge was no longer adding bars but falling and then my battery charging light came on. I had it checked out and was told my battery wasn't getting a charge.

I wish I knew more about electronics and I would try and figure it out myself.
Welcome to the group.

Don't give up so easy. You aren't the first person to have the same problems you mention. We're here to help.

As other have posted, check the two ground cables under the hood on the drivers side of the car below the fuse box and air cleaner. They are the thick black cables that run from the chassis to the engine etc. Also check the two cables connected to the 12 volt battery.

Tug on the ends of the wires and see if they are even connected or have green powder on them or look frayed on the ends. If they do goto a auto parts store and let them look at them and buy some replacements. The lengths aren't important and you need some slack so the motor can move around while driving. They're easy to replace. And fixing the grounds may get rid of all your problems.

Charge the 12 volt battery up. Disconnect the negative (ground) lead of your 12 volt battery, wait 20 seconds or so and connect it back up. Your SOC display (on the right side of the dash) will show no bars. Crank the engine up (hopefully it will start on the IMA battery). No check engine or other warning lights should show on the dash after the engine starts.

Run the engine in neutral at about 3,000 rpm until you see a few bars on the SOC gage and take the car for a 15 or 20 minute drive. You won't have any assist until the SOC bars go up fairly high on the gage.

The SOC bars should eventually go to the top of the display and there should not be a battery red light showing on the dash. If you do see the red battery light ON that means your 12 volt battery isn't getting any charge.

If the light stays OFF then your DC-DC converter is working OK.

Let us know how your test goes and we can help from there.

If not I wish I was nearer to you, I'd have that car in my driveway tonight. :D (Even if it was just to help you get it going again.)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts