Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks like there will be a 05 Insight for sure:

http://www.vtec.net/news/news-item?news_item_id=265410

There are also details on the Accord hybrid, 30mpg city 38 highway, thats 5 speed base civic mileage. Now here's the interesting one it says "New hybrid powered Dual-Zone automatic climate control system" Does that mean it's a heat pump system? They're going to sell a lot of Accord Hybrids considering it's going to be the fastest one. They're even adding grippier tires to it!

And on other models it looks like they're doing the usual emissions improvments.

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just saw this too. Check honda.com, they've got a little sneak peak at the Accord Hybrid, no specific info yet though.

·
Registered
222 Posts
No changes? Well that is a major let-down. Now I have to do even more thinking to determine if/when to replace my TDI Beetle with an Insight.

I was hoping for some new technology in the Insight or a re-engineered Insight or something to make my decision easier.

·
Registered
700 Posts
ethicalpaul said:
No changes? Well that is a major let-down. Now I have to do even more thinking to determine if/when to replace my TDI Beetle with an Insight.

I was hoping for some new technology in the Insight or a re-engineered Insight or something to make my decision easier.
the longer you wait is more time you miss driving one :wink: .

Can't plan on a "perfect time", just like when to have kids, or the "perfect car", or you will just wait forever. Are you counting on a 4-seater?

I am very interested in where they will set the MSRP for the Accord. I hope we don't see a mark-up fiasco like what happened with the new Prius. That was disgusting. If the MSRP is somewhat high, then I guess that will be less likely.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Nope, not counting on a 4 seater. In fact a 4 seater would be a big disappointment.

The perfect time is when the cool factor overwhelms the cost factor in my mind.

Having basically the same 1999 hybrid technology in a 2005 car does not increase the cool factor for me!

I am looking for something along the lines of how Toyota improved the Prius. That was impressive to me seeing what they did between v1 and v2.

·
Premium Member
891 Posts
I heard** today that there will be no Insight offered for 2006!*

* Might as well get a head start on those rumors.

** I was mumbling to myself.

*** There is no "***"

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
If the Insight is not produced in 2006, it might be because something else is replacing it.

I would not wait but buy the lowest price Insight possible so that it would be less of a ha$sel to resell once the new stuff comes in.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I like your thinking, Yves, but the only models I am seeing for sale are 2000. My memory is fuzzy, but it seems like there were a couple nice improvements in 2002 or so.

I want to get the benefit from them and still get the non-beige grandma interior I think. (In fact, maybe I should be glad there were no changes in 2005 after what they did to the seat color in 2004!)

2002 or 2003 maybe. I'll just have to wait until one of those comes up. Until then I'll have to suffer with 47 MPG (plus diesel is usually 10-20 cents less per gallon, yay)

·
Registered
303 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Insight is the only hybrid on the U.S. market with a manual transmission, no?

I think that'd be reason enough to get one. There's a lot of zoot factor in driving the only hybrid car so comfortable in its technology, it'll allow the driver to shift for themselves.

I'm surprised how much I've enjoyed the size of the car over the past five days. The nimble, sure-footed Insight has me reminiscing about my '82 Prelude high school car, and it sure was a lot easier being lost in downtown Seattle in it.

I also wouldn't put _any_ stock in what your local dealer may tell you. Both salesguys I worked with didn't even know they had one on the lot. :roll:

·
Registered
700 Posts
jsanford said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Insight is the only hybrid on the U.S. market with a manual transmission, no?
The Civic Hybrid comes with manual transmission also.

And I agree 100% with the IMA hybrid system having the advantage of being compatible with manual transmission.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Well knock me over with a feather. I didn't think any Civic came with a manual transmission anymore except the liftback. It's image has been so stodgy of late. Bet it'll be just as difficult to find one as a manual Insight.

So I guess the marketing pictures of the hybrid Accord with the Civic and Insight pretty much confirms there'll be a 2005 Insight.

·
Registered
241 Posts
'05 Insight

Sparky,

Thanks for the links to the pix. I normally wouldn't buy a white car - but I love that white Insight! Too bad it's not available here.

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
I wish they would have an option for the rear lower black section. I would prefer it to be of the same color as the rest of the car. Then the car would have a "low down" look as it really is.

If one day I repaint my red car, it will be monochrome

G

·
0 Posts
Hi Sparky5501:

___Add me to the list for thanking you for the link. I sure wish there was a white option here in the states as that would have been my first choice but Formula Red still looks faster ;)

___Good Luck and thanks again.

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___[email:1wft4zg1][email protected][/email:1wft4zg1]

·
Registered
741 Posts
ethicalpaul said:
ext1jdh said:
If it ain't broke... Some new colors would have been nice though
They probably said the same thing about the Model T. That doesn't mean it couldn't be improved.
You can't improve perfection. The Insight's engine is as small as possible. Any smaller and it would not be able to move down the highway. The electric motor was replaced (I think) by a more efficient/powerful 14hp version, and therefore as perfect as possible. The body already has a 0.25 drag coefficient.

How could Honda possibly make an improvement?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts