Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help, My car is the one that had the pop and smoke several months ago.

Threw the code on the way to work today.

Not finacially able to pay the 1500.00 plus for a new or rebuilt pack.

Do I have any options other than turning of switch and disabling BCM.

I've read that a guy could charge the battery but also read that with the POA7F code it probally wont work.

Honda dealer wants to look at the car and pull their own codes. I asked them the cost for replacement and they quoted 160.00 labor. They said they had to call american honda on Monday to get a battery cost. They thought it would be around 2 grand.

BTY way "Hybrid-Battery-Repair" had a picture and a discription of how to disconnect the BCM with instructions to disconnect 3 cables on the left silver housing. I didn't see 3 cables in that picture. What am I missing here?

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
Help, My car is the one that had the pop and smoke several months ago.

Threw the code on the way to work today.

Not finacially able to pay the 1500.00 plus for a new or rebuilt pack.

Do I have any options other than turning of switch and disabling BCM.

I've read that a guy could charge the battery but also read that with the POA7F code it probally wont work.

Honda dealer wants to look at the car and pull their own codes. I asked them the cost for replacement and they quoted 160.00 labor. They said they had to call american honda on Monday to get a battery cost. They thought it would be around 2 grand.

BTY way "Hybrid-Battery-Repair" had a picture and a discription of how to disconnect the BCM with instructions to disconnect 3 cables on the left silver housing. I didn't see 3 cables in that picture. What am I missing here?

Okay, the P0A7F is the 2005+ version of a P1447. It means the battery has dropped below 10% of its' original capacity. Generally these batteries need more than 10 sticks, so the repair is likely to be $1250.

To the best of my knowlege, your 2005 had an 8/80,000 mile warranty on the battery. Replacement batteries usually cost about $3000 including labor.

The battery bypass trick will work, but you don't need to do it yet. Just keep an eye out for an alternator light on the dash.

One option for you is to purchase a junkyard battery and rebuild yours with it. I can help you with that. Call me at 718-554-7899

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Driving without IMA

CXRGATOR was asking how to drive the Gen 1 without IMA battery.

What about long term?
Can I take the pack out And just run on Gas?
Will my 12 volt batt stay charged if I did that?
Should get decent gas milage without the battery weight, right?

·
Premium Member
2,391 Posts
"What about long term?"
There are a few people here doing this and have done it for quite awhile.

Can I take the pack out And just run on Gas?
There is one member who received his car without a pack because it was a Honda test model or something, I don't remember the details and have been trying to find that thread for awhile now but it gave us the info on what needs to be done.

Will my 12 volt batt stay charged if I did that?
As long as you don't drive 4k RPMs all the time, it will stay charged.

Should get decent gas milage without the battery weight, right?
Unless you drive in the city where you get a significant amount of autostop and regen, and don't mind the reduced performance of not having the electric assist, you would likely be better off with your MPG numbers since you don't have the pack trying to force charge and recover its own self-discharge all the time if your car is anything like mine, it is a bigger burden than it helps since I almost drive entirely on the highway and avoid using assist like its the plague due to the hidden background charge that kicks in to bring the car up to 18 bars that kills my speed and forces me to leave lean-burn or requires me to use a clutch switch to disable the charge current.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Honda america reduced price battery

I asked Honda America if they could cover this battery even though it is 40K out of warrenty. They got back to me and qouted me a price of 1500.00 installed at my Honda dealer. The dealer had qouted 1875.00 for the battery and 160.00 to install it. I was hoping for a free battery and probally won't be taking them up on their offer but thought I would share this for those that are in my situation. They might offer you a simular deal.
America Honda 800-999-1009

1 - 7 of 7 Posts