Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My driveway!

Put money down on a Magneisum MT today. Expected delivery is November sometime.

I've learned much of what I know about hybrids from IC and thank IC for being a great resource. I hold IC in high reguard as it is professionally run and highly informative.

I'm not sure what purchasing a HCH means for IC as IC is not Hybrid Central or even Honda Hybrid Central but only Insight Central. This raises the question of where I belong cause I didn't end up with an Insight. The forum rules are pretty strict and I'm not sure how welcome to feel buying a HCH.

Is this like showing up to a Harley biker bar with a crotch rocket?

·
Registered
700 Posts
lakedude said:
My driveway!
... I hold IC in high reguard as it is professionally run and highly informative.
Heh, heh...fooled another one, eh?:wink:

lakedude said:
Is this like showing up to a Harley biker bar with a crotch rocket?
Hey, you're right. Let's get him!

Seriously, you're welcome, as far as I'm concerned, but I'm not much. IMA is IMA, right?

Did you get a test drive with the manual? I tested a CVT a while back, and was less than impressed with the acceleration...if you could call it that. More like a gentle accumulation of kinetic energy.

I am sure the MT would be much more responsive. Is this the reason you chose it? They seem much less common.

Oh, I thought of another question. Does the manual have lean burn?

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did you get a test drive with the manual?
No, I test drove a CVT and used my imagination. This is pehaps the worst deal I've ever made, buying sight unseen with no test drive and paying full list. Still I'm optomistic.

I chose the manual because my last 4 cars have been manuals. The CVT makes me nervous, I feel like I have no say so/ control, and I wonder about long term durability.

88 Dodge Daytona Shelby Z turbo black MT
88 Mits Starion turbo (I loved that car) white MT
96 C4 Vette collector's edition silver MT
00 C5 Hardtop Vette black MT
05 Honda Civic Hybrid Magneisum MT

See the pattern? All the cars lack color and have MT.

Does the manual have lean burn?
I'm pretty sure it does.

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
Don't sweat it. I test drove the HCH before I bought the Insight without a test drive. I found the HCH to be a really classy car. We have people on the forum that drive Prius, Volkswagen or Whatever. In my opinion if you have something of interest to say I'm listening. Congradulations on ordering the HCH.

·
Registered
700 Posts
lakedude said:
88 Dodge Daytona Shelby Z turbo black MT
88 Mits Starion turbo (I loved that car) white MT
96 C4 Vette collector's edition silver MT
00 C5 Hardtop Vette black MT
05 Honda Civic Hybrid Magneisum MT....
:!:

Well, that's a big switch, I must say. Do you still have either of the 'Vettes? I must confess that I have been admiring the C4's recently. I currently have too much time on my hands, which is very, very dangerous. (currently on the DL, not by choice)

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
Hi LakeDude,

Congratulations on your purchase!

"The forum rules are pretty strict and I'm not sure how welcome to feel buying a HCH."

You've been posting messages since september 2003. Not having an Insight did not prevent you before. I searched for "HCH" in the forums and there are many messages.

The forums are Insight related and this is not something moderators can change and we need to persist in that direction. Any IMA issues are surely similar.

For sure, the pool of members are mostly Insight owners and Insight questions are the ones that can be answered/debated best.

Time will tell.

P.S. You wrote "professionally run". I assume you mean "run like professionnals" cause we are all only members and only having fun. No work here.

·
Registered
22 Posts
HCH

The first time I drove the hybrids all they had was a CVT Insight. I was underwelmed with the performance and the room. At the same trip to the dealer I then drove a Civic hybrid with manual. The car drove just like any other car, just got better gas milage. I almost bought one, then got to thinking the Civic HF (i think that's the letters) got almost as much milage and cost 6 grand less. After a few days reflection I remembered my motivation in the first place and bought a used Insight manual, which I am very happy with. I think you will be happy with the Civic as a daily car, although you will be striving to get 50 mpg, where the insight strives to get 70 mpg and up. Hey, 50 is still good and with 2 passengers you will get more mpg/passenger than the insight.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Do you still have either of the 'Vettes?
Yes I still have the C5. I didn't really care for the C4 BTW, the C5 is much nicer for my taste.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Congratulations on your purchase!
Thankyou!

I've been thinking of buying an Insight since even before Sept of 03. Buying a HCH means I will not be buying an Insight so I've gone from a likely Insight purchaser to someone who will likely never buy an Insight.

I've seen posts like this one moved as they are not really "news" so I wasn't sure where to post or even if I should post about the HCH purchase at all. I'm not at all trying to be difficult, just respectful of the forum's wishes.

The single biggest reason that I didn't get an Insight is the inabiltiy to get a new one with a MT. The lack of standard options is another negative (no cruise).

Much like the Vette I own, in spite of any nit picks I think Insights are totally cool and a sign of things to come.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Hi Lakedude-

Welcome IMA brother! I think that most of us here would agree that the Insight is not the car for everyone. It is much better to read a post like yours, rather than a disgruntled post from someone who was influenced here and later found the Insight was not to their liking.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I like my '04 HCH

Hi all,
First post here, as I, too, had problems finding where to "fit in" with the HCH. I drove both the CVT and the MT, and there is much more response with the MT. I bought an '04 (Magnesium MT!) HCH in April, and am doing my 15,000 mile oil change tonight. No problems whatsoever. Average MPG is 48, at average 73mph - mostly highway.
Great car. Anyone know of any forums for the HCH?

Thanks!

Mike

G

·
0 Posts
Hi Cbxtc6:

___I hope to see you out on I94/294 sometime as that is my haunting grounds.

___You might want to consider the Honda-Hybrid forum at Yahoo as well as Greenhybrid.com. They both have quite a few HCH owners exchanging ideas, techniques, and experiences.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___[email:1euer3bk][email protected][/email:1euer3bk]

G

·
0 Posts
Hi Cbxtc6:

___I also travel I55 well past I80 on the second half of my commute. You will see my Insight with the right front wheel planted on the white line traveling between the limits that far south. I hope to see you out on the Interstate sometime.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___[email:3jbvsn4p][email protected][/email:3jbvsn4p]

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I see that you all are north of the windy city but get south of the city at times, correct? I'll be in the Coal City/Braidwood area in October for a wedding. The HCH is not expected till November so I'll likely be in a Black Vette. It would be interesting to cross paths.

G

·
0 Posts
Hi Lakedude:

___I actually work in Braidwood for now although it’s rotating shifts, rotating days off … Give me your location closer to the date and I should be able to stop by for a Pepsi or two.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___[email:2fv6fj3f][email protected][/email:2fv6fj3f]

·
Registered
4 Posts
I actually from farther West - La Salle-Peru. That's why I bought the HCH - over 160 miles commute per day! Can't stand the city...

Cheers!

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well it looks as if my fears about not being welcome having purchased an HCH were well founded. I've tried to follow the rules and tried to determine the best spot to put posts about my Honda Civic Hybrid. I asked a question over a year ago asking how this site worked so that I could gear my posting accordingly but in a year no response was ever givin.

http://www.insightcentral.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=640

I figured even if the site gets all its money from Honda that Honda Civic posts would still be welcome and was assured so in this very thread. I don't come to cause trouble and if I was not welcome all you had to do was say so.

I posted a record tank on my HCH and the next post was :
off-topic. locking
I'm not sure if the entire thread was off topic or just the last post. Seems like the offending post(s) could have been edited/split/moved to the proper location but instead the entire thread was closed.

It is your site so I guess you can do what you want but I really don't feel at all welcome. IC has been a huge resource for me and I love the site but the forum does not seem to be the place for a llowly HCH driver.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts