Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hello world!

I'm in the market to buy an Insight to offset my daily work miles/cost (and to have a little) and while looking around found a 2005 with ~ 215K and a dead pack (go figure) for a little less than $3000 near me.

I'm am strongly considering it, but am a little put off by the miles (my 2005 Jeep only has ~87000).

aside from the 2-1 shift grind anything I should look out for?

O and thanks!

·
7,136 Posts
At 215k, it might just be getting broken in. ;)

·
Super Moderator
7,791 Posts

O and thanks!
Look for signs of collision damage. Look at the seams between major parts for evenness. Look around the inside panels both at front and rear.

Check that the car has the correct tires, the Bridgestone RE-92. Mileage suffers with anything else.

Good luck. If you buy then consider the Mid-Atlantic Honda Hybrid meet on 17 May. See "Hybrid Events and Socials" near bottom of forum page.

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
If the car is in good shape over all then it sounds like a good deal, I'd use the battery as leverage to talk down the price maybe a few hundred more since you'll have to drop $2K into that. Try and get service records for when the fluids, spark plugs, EGR plate clean, any maintenance was done.

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
hello world!

O and thanks!
Check for wet seat belts by pulling them all the way out of the retracters. It's an indication of a leak in the roof above the doors. It's not major but it is something to check for to use as a bargaining point.

Check under the car to see if all the aero panels are in place (especially at the front of the car). The spats in front of the front tires tend to get ripped off in snow or by driving over parking tombstones. (Do NOT pull all the way up to the curb or tombstones when parking!) Another bargaining point.

Check the spare tire and that the jack etc is in the car. There should also be a towing device (a bolt with a ring cast onto it) in the trunk.

Sounds like a good price for the car if cosmetically etc it is in good shape.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Update

UPDATE:

So I called the owner

52 Lifetime MPG, drives it like a regular car (not a hyper miler), all highway, he is the second owner (apparently also owns a Leaf) and says it doesn't suffer the 2-1 grind.

the 1st owner (corporation) replaced the battery @ 91,XXX in 2008

I pulled the carfax and the only thing I'm concerned about is there is a loan/lien reported.

I'll be heading over next weekend to check it out

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
all highway, he is the second owner (apparently also owns a Leaf) and says it doesn't suffer the 2-1 grind.
It's the 3-2 shift that grinds. And if you shift real slow at low speeds, you can avoid grinding, so on the test drive try it at 20 to 25 mph and move the shifter as you would normally. Also check for ISB noise and if the stick pops out of gear when taking your foot off the gas.

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
You can double clutch 3-2 to avoid the grind.
And if you regularly double clutch a downshift you won't get the problem to start with.

But with the Insight having cables to do the shifting it's not as good a downshift as a straight mechanical shifting mechanism. The cables throw my trust in the shift off. That and not being able to hear the exhaust to know what the engine is doing. :(

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
UPDATE:

I pulled the carfax and the only thing I'm concerned about is there is a loan/lien reported.
Make absolutely sure that has been taken car of or you will probably not be able to get the title changed to your name until they are satisfied.

In Fla lien holders are listed on the back of the title.

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
Double clutching is still a band aid for a defective transmission no matter how you sugar coat it. Please show me in the owners manual where this is an approved or even recommended driving technique.

·
Registered
762 Posts
UPDATE:

So I called the owner

52 Lifetime MPG, drives it like a regular car (not a hyper miler), all highway, he is the second owner (apparently also owns a Leaf) and says it doesn't suffer the 2-1 grind.

the 1st owner (corporation) replaced the battery @ 91,XXX in 2008

I'll be heading over next weekend to check it out
loan/lein is normal. It means someone financed it instead of cash .

·
Read Only
2,009 Posts
Double clutching is still a band aid for a defective transmission no matter how you sugar coat it.
Not necessarily. I have always double-clutch down- and up-shifted my Insight through all the gears unless I need to shift fast. Probably because of this, my synchronizers and clocking tabs are in great condition because I can shift from 3 to 2 and 2 to 1 without double-clutching and without grinding.

Because we know that the Insight transmission has a design defect that causes the clocking tabs and their slots to wear prematurely, why not extend the lives of our transmissions by double-clutching?

So double-clutching can be preventative as well as palliative :)

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
Because we know that the Insight transmission has a design defect that causes the clocking tabs and their slots to wear prematurely, why not extend the lives of our transmissions by double-clutching?
So double-clutching can be preventative as well as palliative
Not necessarily. My 180,000 mile car had no problem with 3-2 shifts, it was a bad ISB. So wouldn't the hassle of double clutching for the life of the car be for naught if you have to take the transmission apart anyway to replace the ISB?

·
Read Only
2,009 Posts
So wouldn't the hassle of double clutching for the life of the car be for naught if you have to take the transmission apart anyway to replace the ISB?
For those for whom double-clutching is a hassle, your point is well taken (assuming that the ISB fails before grinding starts, an assumption that I would not want to make). For those of us who have double-clutched for many years, doing so is automatic and is no hassle at all. I want to do everything possible to delay having to open up my transmission.

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
Double clutching I guess is quaint, and if it takes you back to a simpler time before there were computers, cell phones and other modern distractions, great. (sarcasm here) But then roll starting or hand cranking an engine would prolong the life of the starter on a conventional car but few drivers want to do that either. (more sarcasm)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts