Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi friends; as I await my new 05 red 5 spd, I have been reading, and talking to many Honda people including the NW Zone sales executive, based in Portland, OR. 2005 Insight production was nearly delayed by the Oct 23rd Niigata earthquake in Japan. Although the Suzuka factory was not directly affected, the supplier of the speedometer and other gauges, Nippon Seiki, has its factory in north Japan in the earthquake zone. Their plant was damaged. But right after thanksgiving they worked overtime, and is now ready to supply Honda as scheduled. Therefore, I am told my car will be built on Jan 2nd! Apparently production will be extrememly small this year; so contact your sales manager and get one coming your direction! Billy....

·
Registered
3 Posts
2005 Honda Insight

Please don't shoot the messenger but Honda plans on importing just 700 Insights for the USA in 2005. Send your friends, neighbors and relatives to the nearest Honda dealer and demand more production for the USA!
Chris Schneider
Hybrid Guru

G

·
0 Posts
Hi Hybrid guru:

___Through November of this year, Honda only sold 575 Insight’s so 700 for 2005 would be an improvement! With November sales of just 5 Insight’s throughout the entire country, I highly doubt AHMC will ship all 700 as promised as consumer demand simply doesn’t appear to be capable of absorbing that many?

American Honda – November 04 Sales

___If anyone wants to purchase an 05 Insight, they had better jump on their local Honda dealership with cash in hand to get the orders in right now or it might simply pass you by.

___Chris, do you have any brand new 04 or 05 5-speeds up your way ready to go?

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___[email:1vztx319][email protected][/email:1vztx319]

·
Registered
3 Posts
2005 Insights

The sales for last year were effected by the low gas prices in 2003. Honda must commit to allocations during planning stages and they underestimated the demand. 700 Insights for 2005 is too few in a market that will have gas prices over $2/gallon on a national average basis.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Re: 2005 Insights

hybrid guru said:
The sales for last year were effected by the low gas prices in 2003. Honda must commit to allocations during planning stages and they underestimated the demand. 700 Insights for 2005 is too few in a market that will have gas prices over $2/gallon on a national average basis.
I'm afraid in a culture where in commercials fathers sigh outside of maternity wards and lament that they must now buy a minivan or SUV after having one eight-pound baby, I must disagree.

People are willing to pay $2/gallon to feed their SUVs; I'd even say people are willing to pay $4/gallon rather than give up their right to sit by themselves in rush-hour traffic in vehicles brazenly mistaken for "boats" in TV commercials (Lexus under the tree).

·
Registered
237 Posts
Here's my opinion for what it's worth. The "New" class of Hybrids coming out now are much more user friendly. I mean the Insight is nice for commuters, but for the average Joe who wants to own a "Green" car as a family car the Prius, Civic, Accord or even the Escape are a much better fit. Heck even Chevy has the Hybrid Silvarado Truck coming soon. I think Honda is pretty savvy, and has always understood how to market their vehicles. I think the writting may be on the wall for the Insight. I personnally hope not, but time will tell.

·
Premium Member
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Excel; the 5 cars sold in November are all 2004 with cvt. And I really wonder how many of the planned 700 for 2005 will actually be shipped here?? Billy....

G

·
0 Posts
Hi Billy:

___Hybrid guru is saying otherwise but given what happened last year (04 ordering availability disappeared after what, March?) and with the sales of Insight’s in November of 04 with a country wide average of maybe $1.80 for a gallon of gasoline, I don’t think Honda will ship 700 over either. The loss per car is simply to large a hit let alone dealers sitting with inventory the driving public does not want for whatever reason?

___As we have discussed in the past, why would anyone want to purchase a brand new Insight w/ a CVT given its middling FE? Those individuals purchasing new may as well just order up a stripped Prius II for a similar price in that case?

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___[email:2aaaxwcr][email protected][/email:2aaaxwcr]

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
Xcel, If you want a Prius you have to be either very patient, take a colour someone doesn't want, or be willing to pay a big premium over list price. A friend in Minneapolis has been waiting many months for one and the list isn't getting that much shorter. She will be lucky to get a 2006 model. Yes, I would not have bought an automatic either, although apparently 90 percent of Americans drive them. (Honda Canada sells only 5 speed Insights.)

Meanwhile, consider that 700 Insights in one year is more than the number of EV1s produced by GM....ever, and a little less than the projected sales for the 2 liter wonder car VW just may produce.

Until Toyota produces a 2 seat hybrid aluminum bodied sports car, I'll stick with the Insight. :D[/u]

G

·
0 Posts
Hi B1shmu63:

___I don’t want a Prius II but those in the Edmunds Townhall - Toyota Prius - “Prices Paid and Buying Experience” forum are finding them sitting on various Toyota lots around the country for MSRP nowadays. Not everywhere of course but these posts are coming through in trickles unlike this time last year when you were either on a waiting list (pre-Prius II release) or placing money down on one to get on a waiting list. Why not have your friend hang out over there as the posters are pretty good about giving up information as to where they can be found with as little as a phone call if she is willing to travel to go pick one up?

___Personally, I am all of a sudden interested in the Mercury Meta-One as a replacement for the wife’s X next year (late 2006 possibly). 2.7 L - Twin-Turbo’d 250 HP, 400 - 500 Ft-Lb’s of Torque, PZEV emissions rating w/ the latest UREA injected SCR-CAT and DPF, and a rumored 26/35 EPA estimate from this Diesel-Electric Hybrid SUV-Crossover. It is loaded with a ton of Star Wars technology safety HW and if it is < $45K, I think the X is going to go bye bye ;)

http://www.evworld.com/images/mercurymetaone.jpg

[Moderator: Use of the image (img) function is restricted by rule #7. Please post such as the above as a link only]

___What do you think about this hybrid? Us hypermilers will easily see south of 50 mpg out on the highway in one if these things actually do meet those EPA estimates. Anything to keep the wife from giving me a heart attack every time I see her FCD in the X in these darn 0 - 20 degree temps we had just before Christmas :(

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___[email:2ezgx0zd][email protected][/email:2ezgx0zd]

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
Thanks for the tip Excel. She is not desperate to get one right away. I told her that winter was probably not the time to really enjoy a new car anyway.

That Meta-one is one mean looking machine! Looks like Ford is getting serious about hybrids. That would be good news for all hybrid owners as more battery demand will ultimately lead to low cost hybrid batteries. :D

·
Registered
184 Posts
In November I was told at three Honda dealerships (two in California and one in Oregon) that the Insight had been quietly discontinued. Happily, I just bought a showroom-condition 2002 A/C MT with 17K miles on it for a very nice price, and really appreciate my learning experience with all the wonderful inputs on this website. Gosh, never owned a car with air conditioning! :)

·
Registered
162 Posts
Xcel Wrote:
Chris, do you have any brand new 04 or 05 5-speeds up your way ready to go?
Well Xcel, not quite sure if I am going to be able to get a Insight as I really would like a new 2005 Navy Blue Pearl Insight like what ext1jdh has. Well I may just have to settle for a used Insight, and seeing and all that I am 18(will be 19 in April) will be graduating here in May, the only way I could see getting one is if my parents let me use some of my settlement money to get one, but who knows with them as they will probably say no anyways. Oh yeah and about driving a stick shift, I still haven't found of anyone to teach me how to do that either. Who knows if I will ever get a Insight, if I ever do I will post it on here. Also sorry that I haven't been on lately, I will be on more often now though. :D

Edit: I think I am just going to try and find someone to teach me how to drive a stick shift, and see if I like it and if I do then I am going to stay with. :wink:

G

·
0 Posts
Hi Chris:

___About all I can add is that in your situation, a used Insight would be a much better idea given your youth rather then a new one. The $8 - $14K + saved would be better used for education or housing rather then automobile depreciation.

___I might be heading down to the Kissimmee area in a week or two although not with the Insight but the Ranger (it has a stick). My mom, uncle, and I have to move one of my aged aunts back up here to Illinois. If Ft. Walton is near Kissimmee, I would be able to teach you (with your parents permissions of course) to drive the Ranger in a matter of an hour or two. You won’t be an old pro but you will be good enough to take a stick out on your own no matter where that might be in the future. There are a few Insighter’s getting together somewhere down in Florida that should be able to help if I can’t? Look at one of the more recent active threads for the Floridian Insighter get together discussion.

___This skill (driving a stick) is unfortunately heading the way of the dodo bird and even in my family, the oldest son refuses to learn and my wife who knows how but is completely out of practice refuses to drive them. My youngest, although only 11, has driven the Corolla w/ Auto around the subdivision (don’t tell anyone ;)) and runs through the gears in the Ranger when I tell him to shift while heading to wherever for whatever reason. He will learn to drive a stick in maybe another year or two.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___[email:2nx8vp8s][email protected][/email:2nx8vp8s]

·
Registered
162 Posts
Xcel Wrote:
I might be heading down to the Kissimmee area in a week or two although not with the Insight but the Ranger (it has a stick). My mom, uncle, and I have to move one of my aged aunts back up here to Illinois. If Ft. Walton is near Kissimmee, I would be able to teach you (with your parents permissions of course) to drive the Ranger in a matter of an hour or two.
Well Xcel I appreciate you offering to teach me how to drive a stick shift, but Kissimmee is no where near Ft. Walton, it is down by Disney World. I am not too sure if I want to drive a stick shift anymore, I mean it is a good thing to learn incase you ever had to drive a car with a stick shift, but not sure if I really wanna get one, I may just get a automatic, as that is what everyone in my family has. Although my Aunt, Uncle, Dad, and Step-dad know how to so mabey one of them may be able to show me, but of course I would have to rent a car or whatever to have them show me.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Prius nonsense

There are plenty of new Prius's around so I don't get what the big deal is about waiting for one...

Personally I credit Honda's pathetic marketing job on its hybrid cars for its poor sales... what about the Civic Hybrid? It's a four seater and isn't getting the hype the Prius is.

G

·
0 Posts
Hi Meow77:

___On paper, the Prius II is in a whole other class above the HCH when considering just about any parameter you would care to consider although in the real world, the Prius II’s faked EPA estimate(s) are what really shoved it up Honda’s and everybody else’s respective *****.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes

·
Registered
242 Posts
Honda's pathetic marketing

I got totally bored today and dragged myself to the Auto show in DC. Honda did not display an Insight at this Auto show - the rep told me the Insight didn't make the top ten line up. If they hadn't had three Civics there, they might have had room for an Insight.

I let the rep know I was disappointed they didn't have an Insight on display - she could've cared less.

Subaru didn't bother to display their Baja - but they did have two L L Bean Outbacks... Go figure.

Toyota, on the other hand, had not only a new Prius, but also a used one (old style) in their "previously owned" section. I hadn't been to the Auto show for a few years, was kind of suprised to see a manufacturere showing off used cars.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Shouldn't surprise you Jim at all.... Honda's pathetic marketing of the Insight is well known..

bread a butter is civic accord and some other of there minivans...

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
The growth of Honda has been greater than any other company in post war Japan, and they are the world's largest engine producer. They spend more on research as a percentage of sales than any other car company. Ultimately brains and hard work wins out over smoke and mirrors. To spend money advertising a product they are subsidizing would be criminal and insane. Honda uses the Insight to advertise the company rather than the other way around. Those who recognize this will also recognize that the Insight is a rare bargain. Those who don't will realize this too late as gas prices soar. I wish I could afford to buy several Insights as an investment, but that would be environmentally irresponsible of me in any case. Anyone who is truly interested in driving an environmentally responsible car will always discover the Insight as an option. They won't need a glossy advert or TV promo.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts