Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today, I listed my '06 car named "In Situ" on eBay. It is listing number 273475477166. I'm writing this to keep the Insight community informed that a rather nice car is available. I'd be delighted if someone would help me with the fair market price for this car. I've already had a "buy it now" request. Jack

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
I have been looking for a one owner, 04-06 5 Speed Silverstone Silver for a while to add to my Formula Red and become interested in your In Situ thread and have a few questions.

Why were all the 4 wheels, Rear and front bumpers, Rocker Panels next to the Skirts repainted? Is this how you purchased In Situ or was it done by one of the 2 previous owners? Who did the window tinting on the hatch and rear glasses and why there are none on the driver and passenger windows?
The IMA and RE92s were replaced in 2010. So, they are 8 years old regardless of number of miles on them. From what I have learned on InsightCentral, the 1st Gen Insights need to be driven weekly over some distance to keep the Hybrid Battery Pack and the 12 volt Battery from expiring early. Tires need to be replaced after 6 - 8 years or won't pass Inspection regardless of amount of thread left. Clutch Switch, CALPOD do not work on 04-05 Insights.

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
Missing hood ornament and can't tell if the front grille is missing too. Rear bumper much darker than rest of the body seen from the right quarter photo. Did the license plate expire in '11?

·
Registered
554 Posts
You guys are a tough crowd! :D

Buzzard, my folks lived in the Village on Lake Balboa off Levantino Drive for more than a dozen years. They just moved away in February. It's a nice place to live. When even the grocery store is a 30 minute drive away (to the Village front gate), it's the perfect place for an Insight! We always used the Balboa gate. Good luck with the sale!

Limo tint on the rear side windows looks great, I think I'm going to do that, though maybe not on the hatch.

Ati, upon enhancement and close examination of the front picture, sure looks like the front grille is missing. Looking at the sparkling-clean engine bay (wow!) and specifically the radiator support, it doesn't appear to me that any of the structure was ever damaged or repaired. So it likely had a mild front end collision that required hood and bumper repair/repaint/replacement. Wouldn't surprise me given it spent its early life in California traffic.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mr. Sharpeyes!

You are certainly observant! I purposely shot photos of the car on a cloudy day which makes the repaint less obvious...but you saw it anyway. The front and rear bumpers had been repainted by the previous owner to repair nicks and scratches he got in daily driving in Los Angeles. The hood also had minor stone chips so I repainted it myself leaving off the hood emblem which didn't look good. At the same time, I replaced the tires and cleaned and repainted the wheels. No, I'm not a professional painter which is why it takes me so long. I wasn't aware the rocker panels were repainted. However, the car was hit very early in its life (I think in San Diego) and a couple body panels were replaced...I think the hood and right front fender. It was done by a Honda dealer in San Diego and I think I have the paperwork.
The tinting was done by the cop I bought the car from. I removed it from the side windows but left it alone on the rear windows. I was afraid of damaging the heating element on the rear glass.
The car is driven most days but usually fairly short distances. Every month or two, I put the charger on the IMA battery to equalize all the cells and keep the factory replacement battery healthy. I should do that more often to the 12 volt battery.
Here in Arkieland, we don't "enjoy" regular car inspections. So, there's no problem with the age of the tires. We don't have much pollution or ozone here in the mountains, the car is nearly always indoors, and the tires still feel resilient when I push on them.

I have been looking for a one owner, 04-06 5 Speed Silverstone Silver for a while to add to my Formula Red and become interested in your In Situ thread and have a few questions.

Why were all the 4 wheels, Rear and front bumpers, Rocker Panels next to the Skirts repainted? Is this how you purchased In Situ or was it done by one of the 2 previous owners? Who did the window tinting on the hatch and rear glasses and why there are none on the driver and passenger windows?
The IMA and RE92s were replaced in 2010. So, they are 8 years old regardless of number of miles on them. From what I have learned on InsightCentral, the 1st Gen Insights need to be driven weekly over some distance to keep the Hybrid Battery Pack and the 12 volt Battery from expiring early. Tires need to be replaced after 6 - 8 years or won't pass Inspection regardless of amount of thread left. Clutch Switch, CALPOD do not work on 04-05 Insights.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Missing hood ornament and can't tell if the front grille is missing too. Rear bumper much darker than rest of the body seen from the right quarter photo. Did the license plate expire in '11?
Good eye atikovi! The hood had stone chips when I bought the car, so I removed the hood ornament, painted the hood, and decided I like it unornamented. Both bumpers were repainted to removed scratches and stone pings by the prior owner. The license tag is current...I drove the car today. It is frequently driven, fully insured, and road ready. The 11 on the tag refers to the month it needs its license renewed.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Insight Central...A Tough Crowd

I expected a tough crowd...I've been reading the mail on Insight Central for years! Your observations are astute...yes it was hit in the right front corner when it "lived" in San Diego. I know that because the hood and right fender don't have the serial number sticker...although the hood does have all the other placards and stickers since it was repaired at Cush Honda in San Diego (or Sandy Eggo as I call it).
If there's supposed to be a grille in the radiator opening, I don't know about it. This is the only Insight I've ever been around.
The engine bay wasn't cleaned, that's how it looks from day to day. As you already know, the roads and weather here in The Village are conducive to keeping a car clean. Yes, this is a great place to own an Insight...and I'm sorry you're not here any more...or I'd come give you a ride!

You guys are a tough crowd! :D

Buzzard, my folks lived in the Village on Lake Balboa off Levantino Drive for more than a dozen years. They just moved away in February. It's a nice place to live. When even the grocery store is a 30 minute drive away (to the Village front gate), it's the perfect place for an Insight! We always used the Balboa gate. Good luck with the sale!

Limo tint on the rear side windows looks great, I think I'm going to do that, though maybe not on the hatch.

Ati, upon enhancement and close examination of the front picture, sure looks like the front grille is missing. Looking at the sparkling-clean engine bay (wow!) and specifically the radiator support, it doesn't appear to me that any of the structure was ever damaged or repaired. So it likely had a mild front end collision that required hood and bumper repair/repaint/replacement. Wouldn't surprise me given it spent its early life in California traffic.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts