Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Intro's first. I'm new to the forum. Just scored a 2006 Civic Hybrid with 111k miles for $7k in Arkansas. Drove it back to New England. Got about 42mpg for the trip (about 1900 miles with side stops). It runs great. No IMA codes (not that I would recognize one if I saw it).

I found out about battery issues (after) I purchased the car, not that that worries me much. I'm quite capable and know which end of the screwdrive to hold (not the pointy end).

My big question:

How would I know if the computer has been updated with the August 2010 firmware that everyone has been loathing? Second... is this update a problem only if your IMA battery is showing signs of trouble or does it cause problems for the cars performance across the board?

Is there a way of determining what version (revision) is in the cars computer without bringing it to Honda?

Throughout my trip home, the car was peppy and responsive. I had no problems with motor assist. I did not see anything that would indicate a poor battery condition.

That said... just this week, I drove the car... and paying better attention, I noticed the battery condition bars drop slowly to about two bars. The charge bars did not seem to come on during this period of about five minutes... or if they did, it did not seem to charge the battery. I also lost power assist. I watched it closely, looked away, and when I looked back the charge bars had popped to ten showing and I had motor assist back. Whoah! What was that all about?

So... is this normal?

I'm a mechanical designer by trade and also have a pretty descent knowledge of electronics and microcontrollers (hobby). That said, what I observed was didn't make since.

I have purchased parts to build a trickle charger and plan to dig in to the IMA battery in the next couple of weeks to make the connections. Occasionally balancing the pack just seems so easy to do and so worthwhile.

I'd love to compare notes on this vehical. I plan in the future to get a spare battery so I have components here when I need them to refurbish the battery in the car.

Regards all,

Ross

·
Premium Member
9,977 Posts
Welcome aboard, nice find. You should work on that charger ASAP.

Sounds like you experienced a negative recal. I understand from The Hybrid Battery Repair Guy many times people buy a junk yard pack to "solve" an ima light error to sell a car in what looks like good working order. The problem is, withthe pack not in use for 90 days or more its likely out of balance and immediate use after sitting will just cause errors and problems down the road.

Sorry, cant help with the software version. Another guy posted here that he now has no assist on hills where as before he did once Honda upgraded him.

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
11,125 Posts
Take your civic to your "friendly" honda dealer and he can run the vin number to see if all the upgrades or recals have been done.
Simple as that.
HTH
Willie

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the feedback guys.

I purchased this car for my wife and she has held tightly to the keys. They guys at work haven't seen it yet and are starting to bug me about it! Ha!

I haven't looked for the Nav security code, nor do I have the operator's manual. I hope they put the sticker in the glove box somewhere. I am also still waiting for the title to be mailed to me.

Without the nav code, I don't want to start monkeying around with the IMA battery as I will likely disconnect the 12volt battery as well (though I may not need to). I did purchase the Honda shop manuals for this vehical. Holy Crap... it's huge! I am somewhat intimidated by it's size. (I'm still talking about the manual) :)

Anyway... I guess I won't have much more to post until I get the tools out. When I do, I'll take some pictures as I am having a hard time finding them for this model year on the net.

Regards!

Ross

1 - 4 of 4 Posts