Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys

Been looking on Green Hybrid for info on real FE figures for the new HCH. One guy averaged 61.1mpg on his first commute which seems pretty good. Anyone here got a 2006 HCH? Also are the HCH for the USA made in the USA?

Regards

G

·
0 Posts
Hi Jack9994:

___That individual had a great first half of the tank and a terrible second half … 61.1 after 261 miles. 50.2 after 510 miles …

___Headwind/tailwind maybe? The 06 HCH is already tied with the Prius II as well as the HCH-I w/ a stick. The kicker is that these 06’s are brand new and starting out at the worst time of the year in regards to temps for 2/3 of the states and the best temps for the other 1/3 … Expect a little more but the serious 03-05 HCH-I hypermilers appear to have an edge vs. the non-lean burn capable 06 HCH-II …

___The HCH-II’s are only made in Japan so far.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Been trying to find one to test drive, but they're all spoken for until January I've been told.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I am on the second tank full (non-ethanol, 87 octane) in a 2006 Honda Civic Hybrid (HCH?). Absolutely sold on all aspects of the car so far, although I have not worked through all the information display options.

I filled the tank when the indicator showed completely empty, putting in 10.9 gal, and travelling 471 miles more than the delivery mileage of 18. That calculates out to 43.1 mpg, from one Nebraska river valley to another, in-town driving and several tips about 60 miles one way. I am about 2/3s the way through the second tank at 821.6 miles. 2/3 of 10.9 = 7.2 gal, so I have traveled about 814 miles on 18.1 gal, resulting in 44.95 mpg.

When I took out my auto insurance policy with USAA, the phone rep commented that she and her husband have a 2004 HCH. And, she was definite about achieving 60 mpg on trips between Texas and California. They are very happy with their 2004.

Related question: In the HCH does the battery and electric motor assist the gasoline motor or visa versa? At 60 mph, going up and down gradual inclines the "Assist" and "Charging" indicator lines come on, respectively, so I believe the electric drive assists gas propulsion and the while braking or slowing down the battery is charged.

Doug Lynn

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
It's gas with electric assist. On some low throttle position driving, particularly going downhill you sometimes will see the instantaneous mpg meter pegged at 100 mpg and a few bars of assist. This is the electric motor only mode. This of course only occurs in the 2006 model.

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
Doug, they probably have a manual transmission.

Sixty MPG is exceptional but you should be able to do that with your new HCH automatic under the same road, temperature, and wind conditions and driving it at the same speed. Be sure to use synthetic oil once the engine is broken in and put a little extra racing air in the tires. :D

Check out the HCH section of this site!

·
Registered
348 Posts
Could someone please help and tell me what 61 MPG would be in litre per 100 kms. That would be ever so kind of you.

:oops:

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
Roughly 3.4 / 100 Km if my memory serves me.

Bear in mind that the average at GreenHybrid stands at 46.3 (and rising). Roughly 4.5 / 100km. A Boeing 747 travels about twice the length of its own body on that amount of fuel. Now how long is a 747? :roll:

·
Registered
348 Posts
Thank you for the conversion .
That is very economical, I cannot wait for the ciVic to come out over here. My Dealer hasn't got any details on the car yet. Hear-say is that it will be around April-time until it will arrive here in Germany.
I am interested.....
No. 166 has driven me over 140.000 kms around Europe, he certainly needs a rest.

PS.: The length of a 747 ? Which one? The 747 SP is the shortest version, wheras the 747-400 ("big-top") is the longest. Dunno the exact lengths though..... :lol:

·
Premium Member
394 Posts
The exact conversion is 3.85604 Billy.......

G

·
0 Posts
No. 166 said:
PS.: The length of a 747 ? Which one? The 747 SP is the shortest version, wheras the 747-400 ("big-top") is the longest. Dunno the exact lengths though..... :lol:
225ft 2in or 68.63m

·
Premium Member
394 Posts
That's right, Mark, for the "standard" 747. The current 747-400 ER is 231 feet, 10 inches long. (70.7m) The 747-SP is only 184 feet.

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Can someone give an update on HCHII mileage they are getting now that the weather is getting better. The first HCHII are now available for test drive in the UK - my Honda dealer has one on display with leather for just under £18000 ($27000?). I will let you know what its like when I drive it.

Regards

·
Premium Member
1,658 Posts
It was only this week, that you could 'build' your HCH II on the Honda UK website. It might be my next car. Happy to hear your driving impressions.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Traded the Insight for a New Civic Hybrid

After 5 years 3 months and 217,000, I finally sold my Insight and bought a 2006 HCH. I have had it for 12 days and have 1600 miles on it already. I am on my fourth tank of gas. As I left the dealers I reset my "A" trip odometer and have not reset it since so I have an accurate LMPG. Right now it is reading 43.5 mpg. I do mostly highway driving up and down a lot of hills. None real steep just long grades. The air conditioner has been running the entire time. I have kept detailed records of my fuel purchases. First tank after 424 miles avg. 45.2 mpg, second tank after 406 miles avg. 43.5 mpg and the third after 418 miles avg. 45.9 mpg.
I love the extra room and the quietness and comfort of the Civic over the Insight. For as much as I drive I was willing to give up the mileage for the comfort. When I sold the Insight my LMPG was 53.3. If I get as many miles and as little maintenance required as with the Insight I will be very happy.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Re: Traded the Insight for a New Civic Hybrid

GasWatt said:
The air conditioner has been running the entire time.
Isn't the A/C electric? So it wouldn't make any difference to the gas mileage.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Re: Traded the Insight for a New Civic Hybrid

I don't know the specifics about how the AC works in the Civic. However, I know you can't get anything for free when it comes to energy. My guess is that running the AC will deplete the battery faster, which will cause the car to charge the battery sooner, which will decrease your gas mileage.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
The AC is either engine driven or electrically driven. Basically when your driving and the engine is on the AC works off of the engine accessory drive belt, and when you come to a stop (assuming several conditons are met) the car goes in to auto stop and the electric side of the compressor takes over until the engine starts up again.

Here's a cool little movie on Honda's World website which explains the inner workings of the car, new 3 stage i-Vtec engine, dual scroll AC compressor and other things.

http://world.honda.com/HDTV/news/2005-4050705b/

1 - 19 of 19 Posts