Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at possibly acquiring a complete drivetrain from a 2006 that has 90k miles on it, and I'm interested in putting that into my 2000. Are there any differences between these two years that might get in the way of this transition?

·
Premium Member
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have you done a compression test on your 2000?

If not, why do you think you need a new engine?
I've got an oil link that I'm pretty certain I can fix without putting it onto a stand. I'm going to rebuild it eventually and hang onto it, but I can't get that done over a weekend.

·
Premium Member
446 Posts
there are wiring differences but I don't know how relevant they are to just an engine swap... oh the O2 sensors are different.

·
Registered
614 Posts
The exhaust system will be different and the system will require an 06 ECU unless you stay with the old exhaust. If try to keep the 06 exhaust and you attempt to swtich ECUs, it most likely won't even power up in the 2000 due to differences in how the power is wired to the ECU. If you fix that, then you will need to rewire the harness to deal with the different exhaust sensor configuration. If you fix that you then will have a code due to the 2000 not having brake pressure sensors, and then there will be another code due to differences in the evaporative emissions system.

Also, is this MT or CVT, or mix/match? The exhaust system of an 06 CVT will more closely match that of a 2000 MT or CVT, except the LAF sensor will be different and have a different harness connector with a different number of wires.

If MT, and you decide to switch exhaust but keep the old 02 sensors and harnesses, you will have to deal with the presence of an additional catalytic converter bung. Not sure where the second O2 sensor would go or if the harness is long enough to reach it.

For the MT, I am not aware of any show stopping differences if you just replace the engine and transmission and leave everything else alone. But I have only spent time looking at the ECU connections on the wiring harness (see links in the stickies for these docs) and have not actually attempted this.

·
Registered
614 Posts
By the way, I like your idea of swapping the running engine for the problematic engine so that you can examine it on your own time.

I was looking for a wrecked but mechanically good parts car so that I could be able to do this, but a fixable CVT fell into my lap instead, and once I'm satisfied that it's running, I'll just pull the other offline to do some transmission work that's due.

·
Premium Member
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The exhaust system will be different and the system will require an 06 ECU unless you stay with the old exhaust. If try to keep the 06 exhaust and you attempt to swtich ECUs, it most likely won't even power up in the 2000 due to differences in how the power is wired to the ECU.

Also, is this MT or CVT, or mix/match?
I'm leaving the exhaust alone, and both are M/T's. I'm hoping to change as little as possible, because I'll eventually put the original motor back into this car. maybe. I'd like that option to be open in the very least.

You will definitely want to swap over the fuel rail from your old engine. 2006 MTs are returnless. The EVAP solenoid on the side of the air box is different. So you will want to retain your existing one.
oh yea, I do now recall hearing about this. I think I've got a plan, now it's off to the execution of said plan.

·
Registered
914 Posts
I swapped a 2005 CVT engine/transmission into my daughter's 2001 CVT, and it was not bad. As Bulldog mentioned, I had to change the fuel inlet. I used the 2005 inlet and changed it at the firewall. I kept the 2001 wiring harness and left the exhaust as-is.

Just my 0.02 worth,
Tim

1 - 11 of 11 Posts