Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could anybody provide any additional info for me to verify if I have the correct (NTK??)sensors? I’m currently peaking at 57mpg. Have done the usual: cleaned the EGR plate, RE92 [email protected], IMA recal, cleaned and retorqued ground terminals, correct spark plugs, K&N air filter, Mobil1 oil change. I’m guessing I’m about 95% done and I’ve got to find the other 2-5% that’s “hanging me up! It’s getting a “tad” frustrating.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
429 Posts
As far as I'm aware, the factory supplied upstream O2 Sensor sensor in the later 2002-2006 Insights is a Denso 234-9013. It is a perfect physical match at any rate.

As an aside, before I realized this, I installed an NTK 24660 into my 2005 Insight the upstream O2 sensor failed and it seems to be working ok. It is more sketchy at high load in lean burn, but it's hard to say at this point if that's the O2 sensor's fault. I do have new Denso 234-9013 that in need to install into that car for testing.

I have not yet removed either of the two downstream O2 sensors to investigate what part exactly matches the OEM sensors.

tl:dr For 2002-2006 Insights, the upstream O2 Sensor OEM is a Denso 234-9013 The NTK 24660 will most likely work too, but it's more expensive, so go with the Denso. I don't know for sure about the other downstream sensors.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
58 Posts
When you say peaking, do you mean per tank or per drive? Are you able to see over 100mpg on the instant readout? What's your drive and a/c use like?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
630 Posts
Could anybody provide any additional info for me to verify if I have the correct (NTK??)sensors? I’m currently peaking at 57mpg. Have done the usual: cleaned the EGR plate, RE92 [email protected], IMA recal, cleaned and retorqued ground terminals, correct spark plugs, K&N air filter, Mobil1 oil change. I’m guessing I’m about 95% done and I’ve got to find the other 2-5% that’s “hanging me up! It’s getting a “tad” frustrating.
:D sounds like you are pretty far along! I am also chasing that last 5-10 MPG.

BullDog is right, I'm pretty sure. The NTK appears to be the OEM LAF sensor for 2000 through late 2001 and at that point they changed to a different design and I think it's the Denso as well. I pulled a Denso from a 2006 in a junkyard, from my own car, and read that another owner had one in theirs ("late-2001" - 2006 according to the manual).

I've seen a number of posts to "get the NTK because they are the OEM supplier" but I believe this does NOT apply to our cars.

I bought a Bosch which appears to be suitable for our years, but was not. It turned out to be a Denso (the Denso stamp was cleverly covered with a crimped-on sleeve and the design was not the same, and ended up performing poorly and throwing codes.

Please post if you change the LAF sensor and see an improvement, but maybe after the two things I don't see on your list: adjust the valve lash (.007 to .009 intake, .008 - .010 exhaust) - that gave me a 5+ MPH - and the EGR valve.
 
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Top