Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some of you know, I have been considering getting rid of my CVT Insight so that I can go back to a 5-speed. I currently have it listed on craigslist but I haven't put it on eBay yet. I've noticed that with eBay, you have to pay the fees even if the vehicle doesn't sell. I also live in Alaska, and may have shot myself in the foot by bringing the car up here. There isn't much demand for subcompact cars here. So hopefully someone out there is up for some adventure and would be willing to come up and drive it back home.

2006 Honda Insight Hybrid

·
3,641 Posts
Bump...for beautiful pictures, and beautiful low mileage car.

·
Premium Member
1,207 Posts
I'd recommend you put the car on ebay. Their car fees (to me) are insignificant and you would get the exposure you need. You may get lucky and find somebody looking for one not far from you. But a $10,000 CVT could be a tough sale with gas near $2/gallon.

I'd also put it on cars.com and autotrader.com. Someone in your area may pay a premium for your car to save on travel time and/or transport fees as these cars are hard to find in some areas. Good luck.
Gerald

·
Premium Member
211 Posts
the price structure has changed almost as much as the price of crude. where a 5spd would sell for $6k just 6 years back there is little market for them in the $3k range now it appears.

there are several here around $4500-6k that have been on CL for months and months.

same is true for the HCH in my observation.

my old girlfriend drove an '87 CRX there all winter for several years.

i have lived and driven in colorado for decades and if a road is plowed and snow is less then 7-8" then i think of the front wheel drive as more than adequate and am always more concerned about the 5,000 lb behemoths flying down the road in 4WD with no ability to stop.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah I see more SUVs in the ditch than compact cars for sure. When I lived in Canada with the Insight I got around just fine with winter tires as long as the road is plowed like you mentioned.

I'll definitely be putting it on eBay as well as the other two sites that Gerald mentioned. Haven't gotten so much as one phone call. I've also noticed that you can buy a substantially better vehicle for not much more money. I've seen used Chevy Volts as low as $12,000. But... there is still hope!

·
Premium Member
211 Posts
a friend bot a 2012 mitsubishi iMiEV for $8k with only 12k miles. very nice car too. i prefer them to the Leaf car.

i gotta feeling you are like a tree hugger in a logging camp and now you gotta worry your buddies will think your corks are too shiny without mud all over them.

next winter in alaska is gonna be hot too so hang in there. it may only be another decade before you guys get portland weather up there year round.

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
Looks like a twin to my 2006 with 59,000 miles. If you're in no hurry, hold out for close to your price.

Haven't gotten so much as one phone call.
And what's that about, "Phone calls only." You have it listed on the internet. People on the internet use email. If I was interested in the car I'd want to have all my questions written down to email to you so I don't forget anything. If you want people to call, place an ad in the paper.

·
Registered
4,007 Posts
Wait a year for gas prices to climb again, maybe? Nice looking car, but that drive to the contiguous 48 is loooong.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
And what's that about, "Phone calls only." You have it listed on the internet. People on the internet use email. If I was interested in the car I'd want to have all my questions written down to email to you so I don't forget anything. If you want people to call, place an ad in the paper.
If they are really, really interested, they will call. After establishing dialogue over the phone, I would be happy to send anything through email.

What did you pay for your '06? Or have you had it for a while?

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
Generally when I see an ad on CL with only a phone number I usually pass it up. In the past when I would make the call, no one would answer. Then inevitably they call back with their caller ID and I'm doing something else and forget what I wanted to ask. Either that or people are at work and aren't allowed to take calls, or they work late and don't want to possibly wake you up when they get home and call or don't want to be called back late at night.

Bought mine last year at a salvage sale. Still looking for red front body panels to fix it with.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
I think the price is too high,and doubtitwillmove unless the price is lowered....maybe to $8K?

My 2001 just turned 70k miles last week, ANSI would expect maybe $8K, and I have a double din Kenwood DNX9980HD, subs in the rear speaker openings, auto dimming review mirror with homelink, temp, and compas, and a 2013 civic console.

I bought mine 3 years ago for $7750 with 19k miles.

·
Premium Member
1,207 Posts
Really nice car. Did a mapquest and its almost 3900 mi from Indy. Checked with Montway Transport and they won't take the job. Probably because it involves travelling thru Canada. Wonder if there would be any issues going from the US (Alaska), transporting the car almost 1500 mi in Canada, and then bringing the car back into the US? Hate to be making that trip and then have a border hangup. I always figure 50 mph ave so that could be a nice 8 hour drive FOR TEN DAYS.
Gerald

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If you really wanted to have it shipped, the best option is to put it on the ferry from Alaska to Bellingham, WA and have it trucked from Bellingham to Indy. But there should be absolutely no issues driving through Canada. You are buying a US vehicle which you plan to bring to another part of the US. When I brought it up from Oregon, the Canadian border didn't even ask for title or bill of sale. Nor did the US border when I crossed back into the US.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts