Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This problem appeared out of nowhere. I have a 2006 CTV with only 380,000 miles. Yesterday I drove to a shopping mall and parked I came out about 10 min later and no panel lights no nothing. I took a quick look at the bat terminals and the grounds and all looked ok. Got back in the car checked the voltage but it started right up so I drove home and parked it in the Garage. This morning I put a meter on the bat and it showed 12.7 and the car started right up. I went for a drive and when I stopped I turned the key and again,nothing. I wanted to check the battery when the problem occurred but I opened the hood and hooked up to check and the car started right up. Looking at the schematics I see that there is a "hot battery" bus and a Ignition switched bus evidently both are being lost when the problem occurs. Any thoughts?
( Florida car so no corrosion at all on anything)

·
Super Moderator
6,871 Posts
Sounds kinda like the ignition switch itself. They do wear out and 380k might be a candidate.

·
Super Moderator
4,721 Posts
Remove the cables from the battery terminals, clean them, and replace them. Do the same where the negative terminal connects to the firewall. Then check your ground straps.

Sam

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Did all that and the issue persisted. This AM I put the meter directly on the battery posts and turned on the head lights The lights came on for about 5 sec then shut off the battery read about 2 volts. I taped the top of the battery and the voltage jumped with each tap . So i surmised it might be a bad connection inside the battery. I swapped it out and so far no further issues but I will be wary for at least a week :)

·
Super Moderator
6,871 Posts
Good troubleshooting:)

The stock Insight is pretty hard on batteries.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No further issues, all is back to normal.
When I took the Battery back to the Retailer (still in the warranty period) They load tested it and it passed. I asked for the manager, He came and was explaining to me that the battery was "OK" and within specks I told min to put the load meter on and while holding 150 amps I gave the top of the battery a solid tap wit a large screwdriver handle. The was a loud bang and one of the vent caps went flying and the battery went to zero volts....... no more return issues. :grin:

·
Registered
489 Posts
Good catch! That could have kept any of us stumped for a long time. That's a first for me and I always bought seconds from a battery manufacturer. I never even heard of such a thing.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have seen it before on Lead Acid aircraft batteries but never on a Auto Battery. Likely caused by a cold "weld" joint between plates.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts