Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I've just found this fourm and own a 2009 HCH. I bought the car back in 2012 and in the first year of ownership got my hybrid battery replaced under warranty. When. They replaced it they also reflashed the computer and I've hated the car ever since, but it's been paid for for a long time.

Anyway on to my question...I track my mileage religiously and have a tendency to hypermile quite a bit, lately it's been very difficult to get an average mpg of 40+. I'm starting to suspect that my hybrid pack is getting pretty degraded, I don't have a IMA or check engine light but I do notice that the car has been hanging out in the 1-2 bar area pretty quickly and the Regen gauge seems to be pretty constant at charging my battery.

I don't know if the reflash on the computer is supposed to suppress the IMA warning but I feel like if I never had the flash done my IMA light would be on by now.

I see there has been some good success with grid charging to rebalance the batteries but ill be honest all I know about that had been the last two days reading about it and previously didn't even know that was a thing.

·
Premium Member
3,421 Posts
Former owner of 2X '06 HCH2 - the second worse hybrid battery ever made. The 09-11 HCH2 was the worst.

1-2 bars with near constant charging on the HCH2 is almost always a negative recalibration triggered by cell imbalance, particularly if you notice it "Marching" down at 1 bar per second.

The reflash doesn't suppress the IMA warning, but it raises the recalibration threshold such that imbalance triggers more recalibrations rather than let the battery run down to lower SoC. In theory, it should make a battery last longer, but due to the poor battery cooling design, degradation still occurs, and it nurses an ailing one along longer.

Hard to say if you'd get an IMA light before now, flash vs. no-flash. What you can say with some confidence is that at this moment in time, your battery is likely in better shape overall than it would have been pre-flash.

A Prolong grid charger/reconditioning package would likely get the battery back up to snuff.

The real up side here is that you've had one last six years. Big win.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Former owner of 2X '06 HCH2 - the second worse hybrid battery ever made. The 09-11 HCH2 was the worst.

1-2 bars with near constant charging on the HCH2 is almost always a negative recalibration triggered by cell imbalance, particularly if you notice it "Marching" down at 1 bar per second.

The reflash doesn't suppress the IMA warning, but it raises the recalibration threshold such that imbalance triggers more recalibrations rather than let the battery run down to lower SoC. In theory, it should make a battery last longer, but due to the poor battery cooling design, degradation still occurs, and it nurses an ailing one along longer.

Hard to say if you'd get an IMA light before now, flash vs. no-flash. What you can say with some confidence is that at this moment in time, your battery is likely in better shape overall than it would have been pre-flash.

A Prolong grid charger/reconditioning package would likely get the battery back up to snuff.

The real up side here is that you've had one last six years. Big win.
Thanks for the input, have you had any experience with the dealership doing anything without a IMA or check engine light? I think my pack is warrantied for 150,000 miles and Im at 128,000. Is a prolong grid charger and reconditioning the same thing? Sorry I'm new to the fix but not the issue. :)

·
Premium Member
3,421 Posts
Update your profile to indicate your location.

EDIT: EXTREMELY RARE FOR DEALERSHIP TO PLACE A PACK BEFORE P0A7F CODE. HDS will report a "usable capacity" value. Yours is likely VERY low.

You have a 10 year/150K mile warranty. The 10 years is from date of first use, which is usually a month or so after the manufacture date. Manufacture month and year is on the VIN data plate in the driver's door frame.

Given that '09 MY cars were hitting the showroom floors in late Q3 2008, good chance you're already out on the 10 year limit.

Charger/reconditioning package are separate items, but the reconditioning package includes the charger. Charger-only might work for you, but for best results, reconditioning is best as it provides for manual discharging of the pack to recover lost capacity.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts