Honda Insight Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New 2010 Insight Owner. First a few items...
1. Everyone on this site is one of the reasons I bought an Insight and am I happy I did;)
2. My car has 36k, when I bought it 2 weeks ago. MID said 42mpg. After 2 weeks of 80% highway miles, this tank is at 55mpg on MID
3. I am setting cruise on 70mph, highway, and keeping my eco meter up at all times without the cruise on, and trying to keep the graph in the middle, and out of the "Bad" zone.
4. I am going to follow a lot of advice from the site...K&N Air filter, Possible Spare removal, Syn oil, Window Vents.
Thanks to everyone here, I am UBER happy with my MPG.

Now tires...
I have the OEM Dunlops, and they look like racing slicks.
Time to replace.
Based on here and other green or review sites I have it narrowed down to...
Michelin Hydro Edge
Bridgestone Ecopia EP422
Continental Pro Contact Eco Plus

I think that a lot of insight owners are in my same boat, getting ready to replace.
I am also worried that with new tires, I will see a DIP in my MPG?!:confused:

What has anyone else tried?
Is it personal prefrence?
Sizing scares me too, going to 195/60/15? But First Honda loves it!:D

Any replys are helpful, I think the more info on the "shoes" that we put on these cars is beneficial!!

·
Registered
790 Posts
FirstHonda and I use Yokohama AVID Touring-S tires.

His are 195/60/15 while mine are 185/60/15 which is what the 2012 Insight's use.

Why did I choose 185 versus 195? I figured there might be a small, slim chance I could get better MPG with the slightly narrower tires. My I2 is primarily an Interstate traveler between 70-80 MPH and any small gain will be accumulated over the course of tire life. For all I know, I might save like $5 bucks, who knows. Nonetheless, I don't regret it, they're an improvement over the Duncrap tires.

Cobb has Yokohama AVID TRZ tires (had them on my Odyssey before, good tires).

You probably would see a MPG drop with new tires. If your tires are pretty much racing slicks there's probably a lot less resistance. FirstHonda initially reported around a 1-2 MPG drop or something as such, now he's recently reported having the best MPG he's had so far.

Glad to hear you like your I2. I'd still buy another if I had to choose all over again. :)

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Regarding my tires, It's pretty much like Zwolfe said. I would like to add that I believe most of the initial MPG drop was due to the fact that the day I got my tires the temps took a nose dive; as we went into winter weather. That being said whenever you get brand new tires, there is going to be a slight MPG drop; no matter what. The brand new treads grip more and have to break in.

If you're looking for a tire that's way better than the OEM Dunflops, you can't go wrong with the Yokohama Avid Touring S; in either 185 60 15 or 195 60 15.

·
Registered
952 Posts
The stock dunlops on my UK spec ES are SP2030 185/55 r16 and having lived with them for 6 months I actually think they're not that bad. Pretty good actually in the times I've chosen to drive with more vigour. Ok int the wet and acceptable on snow. Is it just that slightly wider tyres suits the handling of this car?

·
Registered
234 Posts
The stock dunlops on my UK spec ES are SP2030 185/55 r16 and having lived with them for 6 months I actually think they're not that bad. Pretty good actually in the times I've chosen to drive with more vigour. Ok int the wet and acceptable on snow. Is it just that slightly wider tyres suits the handling of this car?
Agreed. The only times I don't like the stock Dunlops are when it's wet out. Even then, it's not that bad. It's been raining off and on for a solid week here and I haven't had any tire spin or anything.

That said, once these wear out (10-15K, I'm guessing), I'll probably look into the Yokohama's since Zwolfe and firsthonda talk them up so much :D

·
Registered
790 Posts
My Dunlops all wore differently. Truly sad. Satisfactory alignment, as verified by my Honda dealer. Typically outfits try to sell you something, they didn't (i.e., an alignment).

The only good news is that my I2 with over 30k miles still had its alignment within proper specifications.

Anyway ...

I should disclose that I was attempting to get some Nexen tires. I had read good and bad, and the people who mentioned the positive notes seemed to know their *** from a hole in the wall moreso than the persons that had bad things to say. Some Korean company with Japanese engineering ties, cheap tires overall. But, they were out of stock.

Still, while the Yokohama's costed me a little bit more, zero complaints at the end of the day and got to avoid being a guinea pig.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Nokian WR-G2s. LRR and high traction, especially of you live in an area that gets snow.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I agree I will see a hit on mpg after install.
Yoko have great reviews, and endorsement from posters.
Are the Yoko a true LRR?
Anyone out there have listed LRR replacements?
Looking forward to any new tire, just for the safety.
Also live in Yo-town Ohio, so need something for all weather.
Thanks all!;)

·
Registered
790 Posts
Are the Yoko a true LRR?
No Sir.

Also live in Yo-town Ohio, so need something for all weather.
Thanks all!;)
I switch out to snow tires in the winter when I can but Yoko's are all-season unless you get some sort of dedicated summer time. I've known some cool people from Youngstown.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Well I just got back in from a rain storm. The Yoko Touring-S' performed admirably. 85 MPH and the tires stuck to the road like glue (I would advise changing lanes very slowly in the rain at that speed, though).

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Well I just got back in from a rain storm. The Yoko Touring-S' performed admirably. 85 MPH and the tires stuck to the road like glue (I would advise changing lanes very slowly in the rain at that speed, though).
They're great tires. Just as good as the best Michelin at a much better price.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Have a set of Conti Pro Contact Eco Plus on their way.
Positive reviews out weighed the negative, plus 80k tread wear.
Tire Rack to my door for $363
I am putting around 600+ miles a week, so I will keep everyone posted on them.;-)

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Have a set of Conti Pro Contact Eco Plus on their way.
Positive reviews out weighed the negative, plus 80k tread wear.
Tire Rack to my door for $363
I am putting around 600+ miles a week, so I will keep everyone posted on them.;-)
What size?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Got my Conti contact Eco Plus mounted about a week ago.
First few trips, MID reading dropped to 40-43!!!
I was really worried:mad:

Then it hit me...I live in Ohio and the temps went down.

Last trip, 62 degrees, with about 600mi on tires, 51.6 on MID:D

Overall, Eco Plus are quiet, and are preforming well.
I have been running em at 40psi.

I bet when temps are average in the 60-70degree range I will get actual 50+MPG for a tank.

Again, I set Cruise at 68-70mpg for my 60mi highway trip.
Only use the Eco Meter and keep it out of the "Bad" on acceleration and decel.

Lovin the tires and car!!

·
Registered
51 Posts
I was looking into finally swapping to the YOKOs, I was curious what PSI you guys are running on?

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
I was looking into finally swapping to the YOKOs, I was curious what PSI you guys are running on?
35-36 PSI and I get very good fuel economy. Depending on the % of city and highway, I get anywhere from 43-49 MPG per tank.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I just got some Bridgestone Ecopia 422s in 195/60R15 87H size from Costco, paid $405 out the door, which isn't too bad considering you get lifetime rotations, etc. Normally I got around 48 MPG with the OEM 175/60R15 dunlops based on my 40% suburb, 60% highway driving. While I haven't gone through a complete tank yet, it seems my mileage dropped to around 43 mpg, and it is noticeably lower on the highway. I live in SoCal, and the weather hasn't changed substantially, other than a bit more wind, so perhaps that is impacting mileage. Tires were sloshy at 33psi, so I bumped them up to 41/40 front/rear, and now 45/44. I'll probably go back to 41/40 as the ride felt better.

The tires do bulge out a bit on the sides. In hindsight I probably would have gone with 185/60R15 to limit the bulging, as I think the smaller width would help reduce the "slosh" feeling I get from 195's when changing lanes on the highway. I don't think Costco had this size though, and since folks rave about the Yoko's, I figured the Bridgestone Ecopia's would be just as good. I guess only time will tell.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts