Honda Insight Forum banner

2010 Honda Insight Growling Sound When A/C On

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  egads 
#1 ·
I have a 2010 Honda Insight and I recently noticed it makes a growling sound when I turn on the A/C. When I turn off the A/C the noise completely stops. The noise honestly reminds me of a motorcycle or something. Does anyone know what this noise could be? I got out of the car to inspect with it running with the A/C and it’s loudest on the passenger side. I got stuck in the mud a few days ago so I don’t know if any mud or other debris got inside some of the machinery under the car in my attempt to get out.

#2 ·
AC bearing going out, or mud in the AC clutch. Possibly use high pressure water to clean the mud out.

#4 ·
My 2010 EX did the very same thing last week. AC worked fine when I left work. Stopped for gas and then noticed the AC would not get cold. At the next stop light I could hear the growl. I drove the 60 miles home with no AC so as not to do further damage (just in case it would have). Took it to a local non-dealer Honda service place and he diagnosed it as the bearing, which I had guessed. He doesn't work on hybrids, so I suppose I have no choice but to go to a dealer service department. The closest dealer to me is at least an hour away. I am trying not to drive it, but it's my daily 125-mile round trip commuter. Has anyone here had this service done? Any ideas on what I can expect to pay? And should I not be driving it? I would assume not as the sound is constant even without the AC engaged. Thank you!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.