Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I bought this car about 3 months ago, I'm not very knowledgeable about cars mechanics and kind of learning about certain things as I go. Now that's out of the way...

I read that we can upgrade our batteries from 151R to 51R(Okay cool, I get the premise, bigger battery, minimal modification easy peasy), but the question I'm trying to figure out, is can we upgrade it to a 51R AGM battery? Like an Optima Yellow, or of the likes? If so, which would you suggest? I see a lot of people complain about the yellow top, but I think some people use certain things the wrong way and lead to believe that's the case most of the time when it comes to electronics and such.

Now to add to that question.... I'm in the process of upgrading the sound system(I'm sure you heard this part 1000 times). But, on crutchfield it says to not go above 350 RMS, but I've come to you guys to ask, are we able to go to 400(or higher) RMS and still be in safe limits? I know what they say for the audio pieces rated max will hardly ever be the case, but still don't want to do something stupid.

Now for the final question... Seeing as we don't have an alternator, are we able to do a big 3 upgrade or atleast upgrade the electrical cables? The cables are very thin(Seeing as the car wasn't meant to be used with excessive electricity). Can we run a bigger wire from even the IMA battery to the 12v battery and then give it a bigger grounding wires? Having a hybrid is some what of a curse, because as much as I've googled stuff there's a lot of answers I just cannot find.

I apologize if this stuff has already been asked and I'm just blind. But it seems this stuff just isn't common knowledge.

·
Premium Member
10,325 Posts
Answer #1 Yes, no recommendation, but expensive.
Answer #2 I don't know.
Answer #3 Yes. No reason to do so though.
The engineers ain't dummies and they built the Insight right.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
I would not go overboard with the audio. It's kind of a tin can and the payback will be minimal. A good head unit, upgraded speakers and maybe a subwoofer. Add sound insulation. Go for better, not killer.

And my reminder: hearing does not grow back.

Oh, about the 12 volt battery. There is something about the way it is used and charged that will make even a better one not last that long. That battery doesn't do anything but maintain the electronics, including the IMA system.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts