Honda Insight Forum banner

2010 Honda Insight won't pass inspections "Not ready"

3K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  egads 
#1 ·
I have a 2010 Honda Insight with 93,000 miles on it and I am having problems with it to pass an inspection test because the car computers read the engine system as "Not Ready"

11 days ago I had my sparks plugs changed because I had a check engine sign and two of the spark plugs went bad, so my mechanic changed them all.

Next I ran the car about 1 day and ran it for about 30 miles so I can get it to pass inspection in the state of NY. Went to get it tested no check engine and failed because the computer ran and said the car engine not ready.

So I ran the car for about 120 miles and then when I tried again the guy at inspections told me car is still not ready and drive it more?

I am frustrated at this point because my extension which is 10 days expired and I don't know how much driving I need to do or what I need to make it ready to pass inspections?

Can anyone help me out I am really frustrated and I find it hard to believe after 10 days of heavy use on both street and highway, I even ran it in manual mode with the paddle shifters revving the engine up. Driving the car like a race car went back again today and still their computer system is telling my car is not ready.:eek::eek::eek::eek:

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Did they say what? was not ready. What part of the engine?

As a stab in the dark, tighten your gas cap.

Not familiar with NY inspections.

HTH
Willie

#3 ·
It has to go through a certain sequence, and you may not have hit it. Stuff like cold starts, warm starts, highway speed, deceleration, etc. My scanner tells me which sensors are set.

Sam

#4 ·
I also do not know how New York inspections work. In California we have biannual smog checks. I have had a vehicle also show “not ready” and it is indeed not just driving but starts, stops, cold starts, warm starts, bunches of different driving conditions. Here in CA we can pay our registration fees on time without having the smog check done, they just won’t send out the sticker until it passes. All certificates are electronically sent. You are just going to have to keep driving it. I think they told me it would take at least two weeks of varied driving after a check engine light reset for the system to be ready to report.

By the way, perhaps you can ask Ms Nixon how she feels about the inspection system. When my friend lived there I could not believe the stupid huge stickers one had to have all over their cars. While I don’t disagree with folks having their vehicles inspected for road worthiness, I don’t understand why it has to be ugly.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.