Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just acquired a 2010 with 79000 miles to add to the (previously) Gen1 only family. Now the wife, daughter and myself all have Insights. What is it with these cars?

Symptom:
ABS, Brake, and VSA warning lights all on

History:
Car had a wreck on the driver's front fender area that must have also had bent suspension parts. It has been repaired and now has salvage title. Any further repairs are now on me. I got the car for $4000 so I have some room to play with. It also sat un-driven for about a year getting repairs and bodywork and on the dealer lot, now it comes to me. I wouldn't buy it unless it passed emissions, which it did after they drove it 2+ hours to get the sensors to "Ready" status.

It has a new strut and lower control arm, has been aligned, drives straight, and metal work seems well done, paint work mediocre. Strut looks new, is Honda branded, but little else looks new on the driver's front. All of the warnings are on that I mentioned, but no codes in the computer. Drove it home 20 miles, still threw no codes that I can read with my OBD2 reader.

I believe a bad ABS sensor can cause these symptoms so I started there. I see no obvious damage to the driver's side one and it appears to be the original Honda branded one. It was moist when I removed it and I shot compressed air in the hole it goes into to clean it out and dry it. In order to troubleshoot further, I am trying to figure out the resistance I should see between the 2 pins of the ABS sensor and which setting to use on my multimeter.

On the 200k Ohm setting, I get 1192 on the driver's side front, and 1235 on the passenger side front.

12volt battery is at 12.4 volts, but admittedly could be the original - also Honda brand. Going to put it on the charger overnight.

Any tips?

·
Registered
622 Posts
a bad/weak 12v can lead to various gremlins throughout the system - if it is the original change it no matter what .... as for the abs, i seem to recall a post or two about faulty sensors

disconnecting the battery for 15 minutes might be advisable as well

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thank you for the reply. I have seen the other thread which turned out to be a bad 12 volt battery. I think a trip to Walmart is in my immediate future.

Some more clues after working on it last night.

Driver's side sensor bolt on the left, passenger side bolt on the right:

https://goo.gl/photos/5UetNzbYbP5Hymkr9

I think whoever repaired the body damage used the wrong bolt. It is about 1/4" longer when compared to the bolt from the passenger side sensor. When I look down the hole, I can see scoring in the axle from this bolt, which I think may have ruined the magnets embedded in the axle. Does this sound plausible? I have ground down the bolt to match the length of the passenger side until I can get a proper replacement.

Is there any way to get the ABS system to give you a code for which wheel sensor is not getting proper readings? So ABS codes show up on a standard cheapie OBD2 reader? I have a dongle for Torque and a handheld one, both show no codes.

As an entertaining side note, here is what happens when you have a bright idea sometimes. To test the ABS sensor AC output voltage (Youtube said they should put out small amounts of AC voltage as the wheel spins), I decided to run the car on jack stands with the wheels off and in drive. No AC voltage from either side, test inconclusive. Dangerous enough, but when your drunken buddy stops by to help and leaves the window up while the wheels are spinning, guess what happens? Yup, locked out and of course the last owner only gave me 1 key. Now i had a running car with a full tank idling in the air halfway into my garage. I tried the coat hanger slim jim trick to no avail, and was considering calling the locksmith when I had an idea.

This was my solution:
https://goo.gl/photos/LrW2p9rjYHD6Wfts6

The windshield is cracked all the hell anyway, and I am getting a new one installed next week. Drilled a tiny hole, and used a straightened coat hanger to roll down the driver's window. Then I vacuumed out the small amount of glass chips on the driver's seat. Surprisingly easy solution, and a very small mess. Don't try this at home, folks!

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Making progress! I charged the battery for a couple of hours this morning, disconnected it for 30 minutes, reconnected it and after driving a short distance, the ABS light and VSA light went away! It happened to snow last night here. and I tested the ABS it works! Also, traction control works and I could see the little light blinking when it was assisting. Pretty cool indeed, the wife will love the help in the snow.

Anyway, now I am onto more concerns such as 12v battery, windshield and tires and finding a set of TPS sensors. The original wheels and sensors went away somewhere along in this journey. It has steel wheels on it, and I think it should have alloys since its an EX. Also lacking metal valve stems, which I think would be a telltale of TPMS sensors being in the wheels.

·
Registered
622 Posts
might as well upgrade to a 51r if ur thinking of replacing the battery anyway ... its a little juicier than stock and fits fine albeit tightly (you must remove the plastic battery tray so the 51r will be sitting directly on the steel battery tray underneath)

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If it did not have TPS sensors there would be a low pressure warning on the MID
Yes, there is in idiot light and a TPMS warning on the MID, I just didn't mention it before. After my oil change and resetting the oil life indicator today, I now have no more B1 maint warning either, yay!

TPMS is my last warning to deal with - for now.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Maybe you could find a set of oem rims with the TPS still attached. You will have to have a tire store or the dealer sync them though. No dyi for that.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Found a set of wheels I am going to go look at Friday, no TPMS sensors attached. :mad: Ordered a new set of TPMS sensors from Ebay for 46 bucks. Will pay the dealer to sync them up when I go in to beg for new airbags and roof rubber strips. Trying to get this thing in shape for the wife!

·
Super Moderator
4,800 Posts
HI, Eric,

I'm enjoying your progress on this car. Cool project and good work so far. Your solution for the lock-out was very creative!

I doubt if Honda will help you with a car with a salvage title, but it never hurts to ask. Is is legal for a dealer to sell a car without working airbags? Also, there is the big airbag recall that might work in your favor. There might be one on the roof strips, too, but the question is whether this was all voided by the salvage title.

I seem to remember something about Discount Tire resetting TPMS sensors for free, but I might dead wrong on that.

Sam

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Howdy Rainsux! Yeah, it's been fun but trying to keep it from becoming a money pit. There are recalls for the airbags- they were not deployed, but do fall under the recall. There was also a recall for the gutter strips, but I am not sure if that one a is a safely thing and less likely to happen I bet.

We shall see if they inspect the title or not, as I am stuck in New Jersey until Friday... Hopefully it will be presentable by the next time you cruise through town ;)

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Rainsux - you were partially correct.

Local Honda dealer did NOT cover the gutter rubbers, or the IMA update that showed up. They did cover the airbag replacements, so I have 2 updated airbags installed. I had the option of paying $60+ for the IMA update, but I declined since they acted as if it were an inconvenience for me to ask. I also asked them to sync up my tire pressure sensors, which was also treated as an inconvenience since they were not Honda branded and they said I could come back after I had tires on the wheels. Hopefully Costco can handle the job.

Anyway, only partially satisfied with the "service" I received, but hey, beggars can't be choosers right?

·
Super Moderator
4,800 Posts
Getting the air bags replaced was a major win!

Sam

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Getting the air bags replaced was a major win!

Sam
Agreed, airbags was my #1 goal and concern.

Ok ok, you guys talked me into it. I will be getting the IMA update on my next trip in. I am waiting on tires, remotes/keys, and roof moldings in the mail. Once I have the tires installed, if the tire shop can't sync the TPMS I will need to pay the dealer for syncing those, and the IMA update and the remotes all at the same time.

And I thought I was a DIY'er...frikkin' electronic cars!

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
Just acquired a 2010 with 79000 miles to add to the (previously) Gen1 only family. Now the wife, daughter and myself all have Insights. What is it with these cars?

Symptom:
ABS, Brake, and VSA warning lights all on

History:
Car had a wreck on the driver's front fender area that must have also had bent suspension parts. It has been repaired and now has salvage title. Any further repairs are now on me. I got the car for $4000 so I have some room to play with. It also sat un-driven for about a year getting repairs and bodywork and on the dealer lot, now it comes to me. I wouldn't buy it unless it passed emissions, which it did after they drove it 2+ hours to get the sensors to "Ready" status.

It has a new strut and lower control arm, has been aligned, drives straight, and metal work seems well done, paint work mediocre. Strut looks new, is Honda branded, but little else looks new on the driver's front. All of the warnings are on that I mentioned, but no codes in the computer. Drove it home 20 miles, still threw no codes that I can read with my OBD2 reader.

I believe a bad ABS sensor can cause these symptoms so I started there. I see no obvious damage to the driver's side one and it appears to be the original Honda branded one. It was moist when I removed it and I shot compressed air in the hole it goes into to clean it out and dry it. In order to troubleshoot further, I am trying to figure out the resistance I should see between the 2 pins of the ABS sensor and which setting to use on my multimeter.

On the 200k Ohm setting, I get 1192 on the driver's side front, and 1235 on the passenger side front.

12volt battery is at 12.4 volts, but admittedly could be the original - also Honda brand. Going to put it on the charger overnight.

Any tips?
This just happened to my 2010 EX w/ 141k miles on it. Had a sluggish start twice yesterday morning, all the lights came on, but it started after a pause. Drove 50 miles, where it sat at my moms for an hour. Came out and the same lights as your came on - ABS, airbag, Brake system. No go. When I set the alarm on it, it was very low and week. I was stuck far from home so I had AAA come out and they tested the battery. It was my original Honda battery - sure lasted a long time! They put in a new one by Interstate and I am good to go!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts