Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I am a newbie to this community and is seeking advice. I live in California and just bought a 2010 Insight EX with 157K miles and saw the emission warning light after driving the car for just 2 days. I have a feeling the previous owner knew this and is the reason for selling the car. Unfortunately the warranty covers up to 150K. I went to AutoZone and the reader came up with P0420 only. Based on the threads I read I am assuming the front catalytic converter (mounted to the exhaust) is bad. The most expensive fix is to replace the converter and the least expensive fix is to use the no-fouler. Is there anything other options? What size of the no-fouler should I get? Thank you in advance.

·
Super Moderator
4,736 Posts
How do you propose that he get it registered in CA?

OP, if you aren't able to register the car I believe that you have recourse against the seller.

Does the anti-fouler work in a G2? I don't remember this coming up before. It wouldn't hurt to try.

Sam

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Two days? I think I might start with whoever did the smog inspection required to sell and register a vehicle in California. Rainsux is right, it is the seller's responsibility to provide a smog cert when selling a car. If you did not get one, talk to the seller.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Also, in my neighborhood there has been a recent rash of Cat Converter thefts. Perhaps the seller was a victim and put in a crappy aftermarket one just to sell it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was able to get the car smog before the emission light came on. At least I am good for 2 years and I guess I was lucky. I wished I can by pass the emission but in California that is a no go. Thank you for all the comments.

·
Premium Member
1,751 Posts
How do you propose that he get it registered in CA?

OP, if you aren't able to register the car I believe that you have recourse against the seller.

Does the anti-fouler work in a G2? I don't remember this coming up before. It wouldn't hurt to try.

Sam
The anti fouler trick has been used since the late 80's. (Those cars still couldn't pass because of the pesky rollers). So yes it will work on the G2. However if you do install a spacer, be sure to gut it. If you don't and it start falling apart and clogging your exhaust, you can, and will, burn valves.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Balto,

One quick question on gutting the spacer. I see spacer from eBay that is like an extender and also spacer that is closed on one end with a small hole in the middle. I am thinking of getting the spacer like an extender that I do not believe I need to gut. Is this correct? I want to make sure I understand what you mean. Thank you.

·
Super Moderator
4,736 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
make sure it it is a real code.

my insight will throw a 420 on a hot day (over 95 degrees)
shortly after I start the car.

and on days less than 90 it does not throw the code.

victor

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
All,

Thank you for all the advice. I will try the top tier fuel first then extender and save the catalytic replacement for last. I will keep everyone posted on this. This forum is awesome.

·
Premium Member
1,751 Posts
Balto likes to gut cats, so that is probably what he is talking about. You don't know if your cat is bad. Get the spacer with the small hole in the bottom. Like this one: https://www.amazon.com/KKmoon-Stainless-Oxygen-Extender-Hydrogen/dp/B01J79MWUA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1503415730&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=o2+sensor+spacer&psc=1 It may or may not work, but it's the cheapest thing to try at this point.

Sam
Well I mean... He has a code so, something is up. I wasn't saying his cat is clogged right now, all I'm saying is that if he does the extender right now and gets rid of the code, he got rid of the only warning that it is bad.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
All,

An update. After one tank of top tier fuel the error went away. Thank you for all the advice and hope the issue will not return. I did purchase the extender and will install if the error code is persistent.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
My cheap sister in law paid more in diagnostic fees for check engine lights than just using top tier fuel would have cost. Her Accord would have a random misfire code.
Neither she or her husband, who has a CRV, would listen to me about frequent trans fluid changes either. Both had to their transmissions rebuilt.

It's the stingy man who pays the most as Click & Clack used to remind us.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts